• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also someone here got to know some London vintage shop not sure if it’s priced way over these days though

Depends what kind of vintage you like, but Hornets in Kensington (2 stores on the same small street) are a must visit if you are into tailoring

Looks like just the workshop.

That’s not their workshop, they welcome visitors but it’s worth checking beforehand if you are making a trip.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the PWVC Duke Street store is now permanently closed. Best check before you go there to avoid disappointment. It's a nice part of town though (except for the nearby Oxford St) so I'm sure you'd find something worthwhile to do. Chiltern Street (Marylebone as a whole actually) is a short walk away and really pleasant. You've had good recommendations already on Trunk and Anglo-Italian in that area, but if you fancy a more casual clothing vibe Clutch Cafe is great (so is Son of a Stag). Around Saville Row, A&S Haberdashery is a no brainer, Drake's is alright and G&G is always interesting to visit. I am really partial to Edward Green on Jermyn St myself.

A bit further away, more towards Kings Cross / St Pancras, you will find Coal Drops Yard and Blackhorse Lane Ateliers denim. Great shop, great people, and an overall really nice area with very decent casual options for food and drink.

PWVC on Dukes Street is definitely closed; there is no dedicated store in London

Great recommendations otherwise - Anglo-Italian/Trunk in Marylebone; around Savile Row - A&S Haberdashery, G&G, Burlington Arcade, Cifonelli; down to Jermyn Street for EG, T&A, Emma Willis.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Matching a sport coat to navy trousers is always a challenge. Would this sport coat work with wool navy trousers?

SpierAndMackaySS22_80-4378-1_48277-Edit.jpg

dench127

Reaction score
Absolutly, IMO it will pair very well with navy trousers.

I think a lot of people on this board are pretty anti navy odd trousers. I personally think it looks a little off but I can't explain why. Maybe there's nothing weird about navy trousers, but I would wear them with stone or mid-gray trousers

jimney

Reaction score
I've got two bespoke jackets (both of which I'm very happy with), and I noticed the buttonholes look and feel pretty different, with one being much tighter and stiffer than the other. I was wondering if someone could help me understand why. The fabrics are very different, but I'm guessing this has something else to do with construction (possibly the tweed jacket is hand stitched).

buttonholes-1.jpeg buttonholes-2.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Likely a niche thing as the old days won't be coming back. But, still...appreciated.

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got two bespoke jackets (both of which I'm very happy with), and I noticed the buttonholes look and feel pretty different, with one being much tighter and stiffer than the other. I was wondering if someone could help me understand why. The fabrics are very different, but I'm guessing this has something else to do with construction (possibly the tweed jacket is hand stitched).

View attachment 1789128 View attachment 1789130
Assuming they’re both hand-sewn, I think that the most likely reason is that they were made by different people. Every seamstress has their own style when it comes to buttonholes and you got to sample two different ones.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda cool. Recreating Anthony Sinclair's suits made for Sean Connery.

Dr. No

Goldfinger

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kinda cool. Recreating Anthony Sinclair's suits made for Sean Connery.

Dr. No

Goldfinger

I am kind of tempted by the midnight blue dinner suit

Mirage-

Reaction score
Love this. The more time I spend in menswear the more I loathe the skinny ankle my fellow Italians love and the more I yearn for straight-ish legs. I even have to "fight" salesmen and alterations tailor who keep telling me no one wears them like this and that I should just, basically, conform to the italian fashion.

JIMIG

Reaction score
I have been eyeing the drake’s canal loafer for quite some time.

I know it will look good with jeans and chinos, as well as with Drake’s tailoring (games). But do you think it will work with more traditional outfits (navy hopsack, grey flannels/fresco, and maybe even a navy suit with soft shoulders)? Not sure if it is too casual/goofy for the latter.

Attachments

• 23FB21F9-2D0C-4711-97B5-DB9D35776776.jpeg
    23FB21F9-2D0C-4711-97B5-DB9D35776776.jpeg
    312.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 32BBEB47-14A6-4F06-A114-B42602B4BE49.jpeg
    32BBEB47-14A6-4F06-A114-B42602B4BE49.jpeg
    324.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 4EB8CA09-BD50-4C5D-A262-52176C738914.jpeg
    4EB8CA09-BD50-4C5D-A262-52176C738914.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 50

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been eyeing the drake’s canal loafer for quite some time.

I know it will look good with jeans and chinos, as well as with Drake’s tailoring (games). But do you think it will work with more traditional outfits (navy hopsack, grey flannels/fresco, and maybe even a navy suit with soft shoulders)? Not sure if it is too casual/goofy for the latter.

I believe that the crepe sole and their round last make them too casual to be used in a suit, unless you want to dress it down.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads