• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. The 100% cotton chinos from Cordings are dry clean only though.

FWIW, I wouldn't put too much stock in "Dry Clean Only" cotton. You obviously don't want to go washing a worsted wool suit, but I've always washed my cotton chinos (some with dry clean instructions) on delicate and hung dry. Never had an issue.

FlowableFill

Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I wouldn't put too much stock in "Dry Clean Only" cotton. You obviously don't want to go washing a worsted wool suit, but I've always washed my cotton chinos (some with dry clean instructions) on delicate and hung dry. Never had an issue.
They tell you to dry clean chinos that have a lined knee. The lining may shrink at a different rate than the cotton.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought it's a bit "cheap" for Oxxford? I sort of remember the old ones were like $4.5k and above (Oxxford stuff)?

edit: and Escorial is not cheap to start with

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it's a bit "cheap" for Oxxford? I sort of remember the old ones were like $4.5k and above (Oxxford stuff)?

edit: and Escorial is not cheap to start with
No idea really. The only other maker I can think of would be Hickey Freeman. I have one Stuart's Choice Navy staple suit and it has an Oxxford factory tag. Last time I was in the DC store (pre-pandemic) the Stuart's Choice suits were still Oxxford.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
They tell you to dry clean chinos that have a lined knee. The lining may shrink at a different rate than the cotton.

Huh. I've never owned (or even seen/paid attention to) a pair of lined cotton chinos. All the "dry clean only" pairs I have are unlined.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My understanding is that single needle chinos, such as the ones you get from Rota, are supposed to be dry clean only because of the stitching and interlining (stitching along the leg and interlining around the waist). Those things can shrink at different rates, which can distort the pants. They are basically made at factories that specialize in tailored wool trousers, but here they use cotton.

More casual chinos, such as the ones you find at J. Crew, are specially made so they can be wet washed. They are also often double needle sewn, so if you get some puckering and fading along the seams, you don't notice this effect.

Here's an example of very casual, double-needle chinos. The kind of thing you'd wear with casualwear. You can see the puckering along the seams. These are the sorts of chinos you can usually wet wash. They look even better beaten up.

chinos.png

By contrast, Rota's single-needle chinos are much more cleanly designed. They're basically wool trousers in cotton. Sometimes these are specially designed so you can wet wash them, but often they're dry-clean only. Personally think tailored jackets look better with the chinos below, rather than the chinos above.

40003_2.jpeg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honest question: how often do you guys clean/wash your trousers? I wash shirts and tees often (underwear too obvi) but I rarely wash trousers - if there is visible soiling or stains, of course, but otherwise can easily go 10 wears without cleaning. Same with knitwear - rarely clean my knits, and rather leave them out to dry/air between wears. If they smell weird or are visibly dirty, I will clean them

thuhoan

Reaction score
My understanding is that single needle chinos, such as the ones you get from Rota, are supposed to be dry clean only because of the stitching and interlining (stitching along the leg and interlining around the waist). Those things can shrink at different rates, which can distort the pants. They are basically made at factories that specialize in tailored wool trousers, but here they use cotton.

More casual chinos, such as the ones you find at J. Crew, are specially made so they can be wet washed. They are also often double needle sewn, so if you get some puckering and fading along the seams, you don't notice this effect.

Here's an example of very casual, double-needle chinos. The kind of thing you'd wear with casualwear. You can see the puckering along the seams. These are the sorts of chinos you can usually wet wash. They look even better beaten up.

View attachment 1676188

By contrast, Rota's single-needle chinos are much more cleanly designed. They're basically wool trousers in cotton. Sometimes these are specially designed so you can wet wash them, but often they're dry-clean only. Personally think tailored jackets look better with the chinos below, rather than the chinos above.

View attachment 1676190

That is some nice dressy chino.

With regards to the double needle: what would be the most dressy look you can make of it, without "mis-matching" formalities? Upper: polo, sweater, knitted shirt? Shoes: (suede) loafers, boots, sneakers?

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honest question: how often do you guys clean/wash your trousers? I wash shirts and tees often (underwear too obvi) but I rarely wash trousers - if there is visible soiling or stains, of course, but otherwise can easily go 10 wears without cleaning. Same with knitwear - rarely clean my knits, and rather leave them out to dry/air between wears. If they smell weird or are visibly dirty, I will clean them
I dry clean trousers once per year... in theory. Wool sweaters pretty much never unless I stain them or they smell, same as you

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That is some nice dressy chino.

With regards to the double needle: what would be the most dressy look you can make of it, without "mis-matching" formalities? Upper: polo, sweater, knitted shirt? Shoes: (suede) loafers, boots, sneakers?

I think the outfit you described is fine, but might feel a bit boring.

Hellbent

Reaction score
Quite often. I have small kids. Playgrounds and slides are brutal on trousers :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics