• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgive me, I'm still recovering from the horrible twitch that post has given to my eye.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Forgive me, I'm still recovering from the horrible twitch that post has given to my eye.

i have no idea how to sew. They sell buttons the same size that you punch through the fabric. They are real secure.
I don’t like them as much, they are more metallic. But at least I know how to use them.

how long does it take you to sew a button?

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
You can put brace buttons on a soft waist band, just stiffen the spot where the button rests with a square of canvas or some such held under the button as it's attached. Ideally at least one pass of thread should go clear through to the pant exterior, for strength. Use a strong thread, remember it's the thread that holds the pants up, not the button. This sort of pant add-on is a DYI. Try it. If the worry that a suspender on a soft waist band will yank the band up at that spot, then so be it, but I've never had that happen in the dozens of times I've done this. Consider putting the rear buttons on the exterior so the buttons don't dig into your back when sitting upright in a straight back chair, if any one here does that. I'm doing it now (though in pj's). If you put exterior buttons on the back, you have an opportunity to work a little bling into this seldom seen area, I will use brass back there, cloisonné or mother-of-pearl.

On the other hand, loop removal is tougher and requires a bit of skill. And time. The bottom of the loop inserts into the waist band and the band must be opened in this area to free the loop, then sewn back up, ideally from the inside, a ***** because of layers of waist binding to free up first. Or the gap can be sewn up from the exterior with a tiny cross stitch, unobtrusive thread color, some skill and a multiplying factor of how many of the damn things are on your pants.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
i have no idea how to sew. They sell buttons the same size that you punch through the fabric. They are real secure.
I don’t like them as much, they are more metallic. But at least I know how to use them.

I have no idea what you're talking about, but sewing a button should be taught at the same time you learn to tie your shoes. Buy a spool of black thread and a needle. And maybe reading glasses. Thread needle. Make both ends equal. Pass through cloth leaving a one inch tail. Pass back through at same spot, pull tight. Pass back through again, pull tight. The thread is now anchored. Snip off tail. Note, you're now dealing with a doubled thread, good for strength. Now sew on the button. How? You see them holes? Figure it out.

ChasingStyle

Reaction score

punch through ones would be fine for jeans (I've used them for a few ones), but completely out of place for any other style of trousers, in my opinion.

I sew them myself, it takes no more than a couple of minutes (if that) per button once you've done 10 or so. Super easy. The tip on sometimes afixing a sturdier piece of fabric inside is good too.
Get a pair of old trousers, go to you tube, and get practicing. It's the kind of thing that is useful to know, in general. Same for when you lose a button on a coat, back pocket, etc.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
punch through ones would be fine for jeans (I've used them for a few ones), but completely out of place for any other style of trousers, in my opinion.

I sew them myself, it takes no more than a couple of minutes (if that) per button once you've done 10 or so. Super easy. The tip on sometimes afixing a sturdier piece of fabric inside is good too.
Get a pair of old trousers, go to you tube, and get practicing. It's the kind of thing that is useful to know, in general. Same for when you lose a button on a coat, back pocket, etc.

I agree. The punch through ones are not very refined. I try to stay away.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Saturday, boys ;)

Performance Steam Iron.jpg

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What socks brands are people using? I’m looking for good options online.

I normally go for Sozzi for more formal socks. I really like Rototo for more casual stuff.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What socks brands are people using? I’m looking for good options online.

I normally go for Sozzi for more formal socks. I really like Rototo for more casual stuff.

I like Bresciani, but also shop at Pedemia (https://pedemeia.pt/en/), they are realitvely inexpensive, and very nice (checks feet, yep, I'm wearing a pair today)

Edit: you said online, I get Bresciani from The Armoury online, and a few local shops as well.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Pedemia price is unbeatable for knee high socks. Thanks.

I haven’t had them long, so I can't comment on longevity, but the quality seems good, and the price is very very good.

The packaging when you receive your socks is also very good.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Bresciani, but also shop at Pedemia (https://pedemeia.pt/en/), they are realitvely inexpensive, and very nice (checks feet, yep, I'm wearing a pair today)

Edit: you said online, I get Bresciani from The Armoury online, and a few local shops as well.
Thanks for the Pedemeia recommendation! I will give them a try. My Hanger Project socks (Pantherella I think?) are wearing out and I just got some Dapper Classics to experiment with. Liking the houndstooth wool socks so far.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven’t had them long, so I can't comment on longevity, but the quality seems good, and the price is very very good.

The packaging when you receive your socks is also very good.

You can't put them in the dryer though....that's an automatic pass for me. I can stomach line drying some things, but socks aren't in that category.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads