• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing that's cool about Brooks Brothers now is this vertical integration and that they've maintained all these jobs and skillsets through their Garland shirt factory, Southwick and NYC tie factory. Downsizing for the sake of a corporate sale (as Epaulet claims in the post) is like the most soulless possible reason to do so.

Wowsers - I really hope that Epaulet somehow misheard or misinterpreted information. If BB is going to close down its NYC tie factory, as Epaulet says in its post, that would be very sad news. I've got quite a few BB ties and they are all very good and tie very nice knots, too.

However, at least in BB's Australian stores, all of the ties are too skinny nowadays. I'm not sure if that's an international thing, or whether it's just Brooks Brothers' impression of the Australian market.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What’s so great about BB’s NYC tie, seems pretty BAU to me, what’s their pricing point now, I will be surprised if you can’t find alternative just as good at same px point even from Europe.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wowsers - I really hope that Epaulet somehow misheard or misinterpreted information. If BB is going to close down its NYC tie factory, as Epaulet says in its post, that would be very sad news. I've got quite a few BB ties and they are all very good and tie very nice knots, too.

However, at least in BB's Australian stores, all of the ties are too skinny nowadays. I'm not sure if that's an international thing, or whether it's just Brooks Brothers' impression of the Australian market.
I think the news is that they're closing down private label make across the board (which is exactly what I heard from another source regarding their shirt factory). So, BB will still make the ties, shirts and Southwick will make the tailoring for BB, but no one else anymore.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be surprised if you can’t find alternative just as good at same px point even from Europe.

True, you probably can.

However, I like quite a few of the patterns (paisley, regimental stripes, small neat prints) on my BB silk ties. I also have a really nice silk madder tie, with a very nice heft and hand, and a couple of wool ties in great check and houndstooth patterns.

sid11111

Reaction score
One thing that's cool about Brooks Brothers now is this vertical integration and that they've maintained all these jobs and skillsets through their Garland shirt factory, Southwick and NYC tie factory. Downsizing for the sake of a corporate sale (as Epaulet claims in the post) is like the most soulless possible reason to do so.

Isn't the problem really that the business isn't profitable enough to justify maintaining it? If the private label sales were profitable enough BB wouldn't need to close them would they?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BB still makes decent stuff here and there and it’s kind nice one stop shop but I just struggle to see how each of their staple is not filled by niche that does better at same if not better price...

i suppose the appeal is one stop shop?

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Isn't the problem really that the business isn't profitable enough to justify maintaining it? If the private label sales were profitable enough BB wouldn't need to close them would they?
If it's true that they are planning to sell the company, that might not be true. They might just be streamlining/consolidating to make it more attractive to investors.

sid11111

Reaction score
If it's true that they are planning to sell the company, that might not be true. They might just be streamlining/consolidating to make it more attractive to investors.
If SW by itself is more profitable than BB, better just sale SW by itself...

Yes I would think it made more biz sense to spin off the company and sell it rather than downsizing, where everybody loses. I mean if it were a good business one could easily pick up the scraps of the downsized portions to continue as a business as well right?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BB still makes decent stuff here and there and it’s kind nice one stop shop but I just struggle to see how each of their staple is not filled by niche that does better at same if not better price...

i suppose the appeal is one stop shop?

I think it's perception too. I think many (most?) men who aren't into style just assume BB is making good stuff. Just like most people think Rolex is the top of the line watch you could ever buy.

Even for me, I don't always want to shop around the internet, read reviews, price compare and then buy something online that may or may not fit...may or may not be high quality...etc. I'd almost always prefer the ability to handle something and try it on before I buy.

Perfect example is S&M. I know they make great stuff, but I keep hesitating to buy a pair of their trousers for the simple fact that I don't want to go through the hassle of messing with a return when the first pair doesn't fit.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
though for one stop shop I would go RL rather than BB (understand BB is more "traditional" stuff, and probably has a lot more leather goods for example)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads