• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MB S550 vs Maserati Quattroporte

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
While they are comparable in some ways, they are vastly different in others. I think the 7-Series is more analogous to the S-Class, than the A8. I am speaking to the engine layout, transmission type, interior design / features, etc...

Jon.

I'm not sure I understand. The big difference is that MB and BMWs are RWD while Audi is AWD. Everything else, aside from some gadgets, are comparable. I didn't mention the 7 because it's not much prettier than the S-class, especially since the W221 copies some of its design cues (eg. Bangle butt).

--Andre

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
I'm not sure I understand. The big difference is that MB and BMWs are RWD while Audi is AWD. Everything else, aside from some gadgets, are comparable. I didn't mention the 7 because it's not much prettier than the S-class, especially since the W221 copies some of its design cues (eg. Bangle butt).

--Andre

Well, you can get the S-Class with 4matic. The 7 / S use more than 7-gears and use the small lever shifting stalk; their interior layout is very similar: with a greater emphasis on the computer system. As well, the 7 / S have their engines pushed far further back than in the A8, making their weight distribution (for whatever its worth in a car of that size) better.

One gets the sensation that the 7 / S were built to compete against each other, whereas with the A8 Audi decided to go their own route.

Jon.

savvyibd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Well, having sat in and driven both, I can tell you this: the S-class is going to be by far the larger and more comfortable choice. Whereas the Maser is going to look far better (not to say that the S-class is a bad looking car, not at all), and is going to give you a far sportier feel. As well, IMHO the Maser has a better made interior.

If you get the Maser, get the Automatic, the semi-auto is just a pain ********** on "˜auto' mode.

Jon.

I'll definitely be getting the auto version. By sportier feel, what do you mean? In handling situations? Honestly, I don't know how much I am going to notice. It's not like I am driving down winding roads at 100mph every day. I do have a sense of loyalty towards MB, but I'd like to try the Maserati if it has the features I desire, and I can be comfortable in it.

Also, I've never seen the point of a coupe. I think 4 doors always comes in handy and there's always going to be a time when you needed the extra space. And, since I don't have access to the Autobahn at 7am on a Sunday morning, I won't be able to top out the cars.

Which Maserati have you driven? I was looking at the dealer in Greenwich and they have a few 2006 autos that are marked at 70 grand, about 50 grand from MSRP. Of course they are used, but I don't care, as long as there is a warranty. (And yes, of course I'll be purchasing it from a local dealer, I just wanted to look in that area as I figured there would be more than in Boston)

savvyibd

Reaction score
I'm not impressed with the A8 - or any Audi for that matter. My friend just purchased the German version of the A6 and gets it in the next few weeks. On my next vacation, I'll drive it, but of course, it's not available over here.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by savvyibd
I'll definitely be getting the auto version. By sportier feel, what do you mean? In handling situations? Honestly, I don't know how much I am going to notice. It's not like I am driving down winding roads at 100mph every day. I do have a sense of loyalty towards MB, but I'd like to try the Maserati if it has the features I desire, and I can be comfortable in it.

Also, I've never seen the point of a coupe. I think 4 doors always comes in handy and there's always going to be a time when you needed the extra space. And, since I don't have access to the Autobahn at 7am on a Sunday morning, I won't be able to top out the cars.

Which Maserati have you driven? I was looking at the dealer in Greenwich and they have a few 2006 autos that are marked at 70 grand, about 50 grand from MSRP. Of course they are used, but I don't care, as long as there is a warranty. (And yes, of course I'll be purchasing it from a local dealer, I just wanted to look in that area as I figured there would be more than in Boston)

It corners far better than the S-Class. In regards to turning, it feels more like an M5 (um, last gen, with the V8) than an S-Class / 7-Series. I have driven the Quattroporte (since that is what we are writing about, no need to compare apples to soap).

I'm not impressed with the A8 - or any Audi for that matter. My friend just purchased the German version of the A6 and gets it in the next few weeks. On my next vacation, I'll drive it, but of course, it's not available over here.

And what pray tell is the difference between an A6 in the US and a German version?

Jon.

savvyibd

Reaction score
I was referring to the year. I know they've been making some changes, the most significant being going to auto.

Diesel.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I mistakenly thought you were considering the Maser coupe, not the sedan, and made the coupe/sedan comparison accordingly. Sorry.

Given your interest in the Quattroporte, I'd definitely give it serious consideration if I were you. Much nicer interior, better handling, and nicer aesthetics compared to the S550.

savvyibd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I mistakenly thought you were considering the Maser coupe, not the sedan, and made the coupe/sedan comparison accordingly. Sorry.

Given your interest in the Quattroporte, I'd definitely give it serious consideration if I were you. Much nicer interior, better handling, and nicer aesthetics compared to the S550. I would consider one myself but there are no dealerships in these parts; traveling a few hours to Cincy or Chicago for service would be a huge inconvenience.

I just made the "first step" and called the dealership and left them my mobile number. Let the harassing begin.

A few people have said the interior is nicer; in what regards? Obviously when I see one, I'll probably feel the difference, but the pictures aren't anything out of the ordinary, in my opinion.

I can't wait to find out how much insurance will be, heh.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just made the "first step" and called the dealership and left them my mobile number. Let the harassing begin.

A few people have said the interior is nicer; in what regards? Obviously when I see one, I'll probably feel the difference, but the pictures aren't anything out of the ordinary, in my opinion.

I can't wait to find out how much insurance will be, heh.

As you know, the S550 has a greatly improved interior compared to your S500. The Maser's is even better due to more and much nicer leather and lots of hand stitched seams.

Please let us know your impressions of the test drive and your experience with the dealer.

savvyibd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
As you know, the S550 has a greatly improved interior compared to your S500. The Maser's is even better due to more and much nicer leather and lots of hand stitched seams.

Please let us know your impressions of the test drive and your experience with the dealer.

I just had an hour long talk with someone from the dealer. Great guy - I won't even call him a salesman (he sounds like the personal shopper at BG, Pierre: intelligent, not pushy, cultured, and has a sense of humor).

They have a 2007 Maserati Quattroporte for 100k that's brand new (30 or so miles). He said Maserati is doing a special to get rid of the 2007s, so I'm saving 20k automatically off sticker price. Also, when we were looking through inventory, I asked him about the coupes, and they have a 2004 Coupe for 49.5. I don't know much about the coupes, but for 49.5, it seems like a deal that can't be beat.

One thing that surprising me vis-a-vis Maserati is they top out around 180. He said with the electronics removed, you'd only gain 15MPH on the Quattroporte, he wasn't sure (and said so, which I respect) on the coupe. You'd think a car like that would go over 200. I know it's a psychological thing, but knowing your car can go 200MPH+ is a nice thing to know.

Anyways, a MUCH better experience than MB. I made a little joke, "So, if I buy two, can I get a discount?" And as he laughed he said, "We can work something out."

So now I'm gonna go driving them both. There's no warranty on the Coupe, which is a downside, but it is a 4 year old sports car. I'll ask him more about maintenance costs and the costs of repairs of things that can go wrong. As they say whilst investing, you need to do your due diligence before buying a stock, and I really need to research about these Coupes since I know next to *nothing* about them except they look beautiful. It'll be fun driving a true stick again.

Hah, is it sad when you can say a nice guy on the phone made your week? Not only was he nice, he had some good prices on some very nice cars. Now I just need to test drive the Quattroporte and decide if the ride is right for me - and as he admits, it isn't right for everyone. Can't wait. : )

Thanks guys.

(If only building my new home were this easy)

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'd think a car like that would go over 200.

200 MPH is very hard for any car. You need both aerodynamics and engine power.

Aero resistance is proportional to the square of your speed, eg. to go 10 percent faster, like from 182 MPH to 200 MPH you need to overcome 1.1*1.1 or 21 percent more aero resistance. That requires 1.1*1.1*1.1 or 33 percent more engine power.

For example, If you're using 500 HP to go 182 MPH, you'll need 665 HP to go 200 MPH, ignoring rolling resistance (which is linear with speed) and drivetrain losses. That's at least 165 extra horses just to go 10 percent faster.

Your tires should also be able to handle those speeds, and very few tires are. Any car that can go 200 MPH requires a huge premium for safety and engineering margins just in case it does.

--Andre

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing that surprising me vis-a-vis Maserati is they top out around 180. He said with the electronics removed, you'd only gain 15MPH on the Quattroporte, he wasn't sure (and said so, which I respect) on the coupe. You'd think a car like that would go over 200. I know it's a psychological thing, but knowing your car can go 200MPH+ is a nice thing to know.

The salesman might be a nice guy but he's blowing a lot of smoke.

The Quattroporte is restricted to 168 mph. Unrestricted it would go faster, but 195 mph??!

You're talking about a 4400 lb car with a 400 hp engine.
Maserati MC12 weighs 2943 lb with a 630 hp engine and goes 205 mph. Not exactly a grocery getter.

800pxmaseratimc12fq0.jpg

Anyway, unless you're commuting on the salt flats I guess it's not important. Beautiful looking cars, congrats.

Mblova

Reaction score
I would not get the coupe... not at all. AT the price point that the dealer is offering the quatt, it is a very good deal. Always get a car with a warrenty... it will be a godsend when you really need it.

S550 is more of a boat compared to the Maserati. The quatt will have a stiffer suspension and so you will feel bumps in the road a bit more.

Now it is up to what you prefer. Do you like the interior, the exterior, the acceleration, the name, and how many there are on the road.

I have driven both, and I do prefer the sportier feel of the Maserati. At the same time though, I do enjoy the mercedes very much on the highway because it is very comfortable and I'm slightly biased as i own a c280.

Final Opinion: If the 4 door is new, in the color you want and that cheap with a warrenty... Get it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads