• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manila Tailor

Giacometi

Reaction score
I've heard a lot of bad things about The Manila Haberdasher. I would suggest staying away. Why not have shirts made in Japan?

I would recommend Secret armory bespoke, they really know how to make a bespoke suit and shirt. I ordered several shirts made from their thomas mason fabrics and they fit really good. haven't tried their bespoke suit though, but i heard it looks good as well...

neyus

Reaction score
Can you PM me Abduls contact details .

Im interested in a trip to Philippines. I should conduct a trunk show. Who would be interested?

Mr Preppy Guy

Reaction score
Do you guys know any decent Tailors in Cebu? I will home for 2 weeks at the end of the year. How much do you think an average price for a pair of suit in the Pinas? To all Tailors here, please PM me if you have connections there, that would be great.

Last edited:

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't complain. Moved from Makati to QC and disposed of around 2/3 of my wardrobe in the process.

You never realize how much stuff you've accumulated over the years until you have to pack it for a move.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Can't complain. Moved from Makati to QC and disposed of around 2/3 of my wardrobe in the process.
You never realize how much stuff you've accumulated over the years until you have to pack it for a move.

ah you're in my neck of the woods now, eh. and yeah, you're right about that stuff you accumulate... we doubled the number of cabinets in our place when we fixed the house 5 years ago and it all filled up in just 3. which reminds me I gotta get rid of my my vhs player! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

govner

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and I hope this finds all of you well.

I'm in Manila as well and looking to make a good suit. I usually get my suits from hk/singapore and they are always good. My experiences in Manila have not been as good, which I'm sure doesn't surprise anyone here.

However, I have received rave reviews about Cornell's recently - particularly about how Cornell himself really, really knows his stuff. But based on what I've read here, it's still recommended though as a last resort only if one HAS to make a suit in Manila.

So what is it that Cornell's lacks in relation to HK/Singapore tailors?

Cheers!

emptym

Reaction score
I wouldn't say he's a last resort. I think he does very good work that is exceptional for the price. His downsides are these:
-fusing in suit chests and shirt cuffs/collars,
-deliveries tend to be late, but it depends on how busy he is,
-collar stays that are sewn-in
-low, loose collar on suit/sport coats as default,
-low armholes on coats as default,
-loose cuffs and short sleeves on shirts as default.
The latter three things are his defaults because that's what most RTW is like and what most customers expect. If you ask him to change these things, he does.

But he has some tremendous advantages:
-totally honest, humble, and professional,
-very good fit,
-very nice construction, including durable, hand-sewn buttonholes, bar tacks, etc.
-very flexible about customer requests,
-his pants are maybe 1/20th the price of the best HK and European tailors, but are 90% as good imo.
-he can make wool blend pants and linen sport coats that are machine washable.

It's a great family business imo. He also has a son who is learning the trade.

Last edited:

govner

Reaction score
I wouldn't say he's a last resort. I think he does very good work that is exceptional for the price. His downsides are these:
-fusing in suit chests and shirt cuffs/collars,
-deliveries tend to be late, but it depends on how busy he is,
-low, loose collar on suit/sport coats as default,
-low armholes on coats as default,
-loose cuffs and short sleeves on shirts as default.
The latter three things are his defaults because that's what most RTW is like and what most customers expect. If you ask him to change these things, he does.
But he has some tremendous advantages:
-totally honest, humble, and professional,
-very good fit,
-very nice construction, including durable, hand-sewn buttonholes, bar tacks, etc.
-very flexible about customer requests,
-his pants are maybe 1/20th the price of the best HK and European tailors, but are 90% as good imo.
-he can make wool blend pants and linen sport coats that are machine washable.
It's a great family business imo. He also has a son who is learning the trade.

Thanks emptym!!! This is great info and detailed.

Now that we're talking about it, what would be the qualities of a perfect tailor (almost perfect at least)? As that's what i'm looking for! I understand that it also takes a level of knowledge from the consumer, but I'd like to know what to look for. Thank you!

ponj68

Reaction score
good stuff here guys

newbie here.

leaning about Cornell. and will be going there later.

anyone tried Naluzzi? Naluzzi costs 12k labor for suit/trousers. is that a fair price? is naluzzi really that good?

as you will soon see with my questions, i'm a complete idiot when it comes to suits.
1. what's fused as against another term in here (which my morning brain already forgets)

with the fair price Cornell has, i'll opt for that. need bespoke, i'm kinda "big boned".. all right, fat. body isn't as trim as it used to be. think "CJ Corona" body type, but with thinner limbs.

by the way, didn't anyone notice how bad his suit was? or is it just me? i definitely don't want my suit to be riding up on me like that, hence, the bespoke suit.

also, i'm not the suit type (only my 2nd actually), but have tons of barong (mostly bespoke and some RTW). often times, my old kamuning tailor makes best office/formal barongs for my body type. doesn't ride up, good shoulder. "Off the rack" for me (due to my barrel body) often comes out as too long, both in short/long sleeves, and low hemline ('bout 4 inches lower than crown jewels).

just need this suit for a wedding for which i'm godfather for nth time, but first time in a suit!

if i'm going to have a suit made, better be good, as i'm not getting another one. also, black or dark grey?

shoes and watches, on the other hand, is my passion. so no worries on what shoe color or watch thickness needed.

just need advise on what color suit i'll have made. 2 or 3 piece suit (personally leaning towards 3-pc...to get that "..it was Barzini all along" kind of aura). but don't quote me on that.

thanks,

Ponj

emptym

Reaction score
Pretty much everyone here will recommend dark gray, and I would too. A vest doesn't seem very practical to me in the heat, but go for it if you've wanted one for a while.

font

Reaction score
ponj68: My preference goes for a first suit is either gray or navy. Personally, I think the latter is more versatile. When I had a 3-piece suit, I rarely wore them together due to Manila's weather. I usually wore the jacket or the vest separately.

P.S. My first post. =) Long time lurker of this subforum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads