1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Manila Tailor

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Dr. J, Dec 12, 2007.

1. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

^ hey man what do you think of bergamo? :D

And how's your project (that you PMed me about in Feb.) coming along?

2. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

oh I think bergamo's okay. lol.....

3. jonjon

jonjon Member

I called Cornell's Custom Tailor.

He quoted me 13,000php for jacket and pant. Also, 1,500php for shirt. This isn't even discussing fabric or any custom requirements.

I find these prices way to high for the PI. You can get a really good suit in China for that price and most likely better quality.

Does anyone have a recommendation for places in Makati, or anywhere near Metro Manila? I've tried to back read but the prices seem out dated. Thanks.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  4. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Yeah those prices are too high. Cornell charges me P650 for a shirt if I provide my own fabric. When I used their fabric (white "swiss" cotton) the shirt was P1000. Last time I asked about a sportcoat they said it would cost P8000, so I don't think a suit would cost more than P10k.

Do visit the shop and speak with the elder Cornell if you can.

As far as other tailors go, MrUnicorn recommends Abdul Dimaporo. Kevin recommends Secret Armory. I have no experience with either but check them out, they are both in Metro Manila.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  5. jonjon

jonjon Member

I'm not sure why the person I talked to quoted me that price. Maybe because I'm American and spoke to him in English. But still doesn't make sense. When I'll be in Manila and looking for the price quote everyone else gets.

Well my question now would be how much would the price range be if I'm looking for a custom black suit, with a white shirt. What would be the price range that is fair for Manila?

6. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Just hit me up when you're here if you want to go to Cornell's and I'll go with you.
    I need to get some shirts made anyway, and already have my fabrics.

As for suit prices, I would expect anywhere from P10-20k depending on the fabric and tailor, but biased toward the low end of that range.

7. jonjon

jonjon Member

Nice, I'll message you if I do go to Cornells. I have another tailor a cousin of mine recommended. Thanks bro.

8. jonjon

jonjon Member

Also where do you get your fabric? And at how much?

9. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

I get them at Fanbi. Too lazy to go to Kamuning.

10. jonjon

jonjon Member

Does anyone know how much yards of wool it would take to make a jacket and pant? I'm about 5'7, 160 lbs.

11. welovesewing

welovesewing New Member

Depends on the fabric width : 45" wide fabric - about 6 yds should be enough for a single breasted suit with pants with cuffs. For 60" wide fabric 5 yds should do it.

12. kevinyapjoco

kevinyapjoco Well-Known Member

5 yards for 60" width is too much. You only need 3.5 yards for a single breasted suit.

13. kevinyapjoco

Has anyone tried Fanbi's Egyptian cotton shirting fabrics? Feedback?

14. kevinyapjoco

[​IMG]

Check out TiƱo along Benavidez St. in Makati. The tailor is formerly from Brioni and his suits are full canvass. He has been running his business for quite some time now bringing with him his clients from Brioni. It's only now that they decided to put up their own shop.

VBC suits start at around 30k. Prices for Loro Piana below. If you provide your own cloth CMT is 12k which is a pretty good price.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  15. jonjon

jonjon Member

Thanks.

16. jonjon

jonjon Member

From Secret Armory:

Suit starts from 25,000 and up. our shirt starts from 3,500

17. thebluewalker

thebluewalker New Member

Hi guys,

Just checking in if any of you could recommend a good tailor in the Metro Manila area? I need some shirt sleeves altered. I'd also like to make this person my go-to tailor for custom shirts, much like cesp's post two pages back.

Cheers.

18. vaughan

vaughan Member

Secret Armory: Worth a try. However, he will take two to three months to finish your suit. MATAGAL.

Tino: Will be worth checking out.

Kingsmen (Podium branch) and Hampshire at Shang Edsa hotel: Both are good options for non-canvassed suits. Just remember to be firm with what you want. The tailors there are quite strong with their beliefs in fit and cut. Be prepared for a little debate. In the end, you are the customer.

Abdul (Sir): custom shirts and pants. YES.

Kamuning tailors: NO.

Prince Albert: NO.

Exclusively His: According to Kevin, NO. Baggy pants fit. Did not listen to customer.

Bergamo: Noli de Castro look and fit. NO. MArtin Nievera fit.

Manila Haberdasher (Jay Aguirre): NO. Terrible fit, one year lead time, disappears from his clients, terrible customer service, and moody. A group of guys here at StyleForum had to team up to find him and make him deliver the long overdue orders.

Cornell's: Be prepared for 4 or 5 fittings. Or even 6. Stubborn is an understatement. I'm not sure if he keeps a record of his customers' patterns. He is the beginner's tailor.

Ascot Chang in Shang Makati: NO. Go to Ascot Chang in Hongkong instead.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  19. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Are we talking Vaughan bros? SRV... I legit wept first time I heard his version of Little Wing. Was learing/studying guitar at the time. Jimmys cool tho.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  20. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Haha man back when I had a crappy Nissan I had Family Style stuck in that tape deck until it wouldn't come out.