• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Man my Florsheims are setting off the metal detector every time.

steppinthrax

Reaction score
So I work in the Federal Building. I have to go through a metal detector every day. Usually no problems. Now when I go through the guards look confused and wand me every time. When they move the wand to the floor (shoe) it goes off. I've taken every item off my body.

Have you guys known this to happen with good shoes. The construction is similar to Allen Edmunds etc, with the Goodyear Welt and replaceable heel.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I work in the Federal Building. I have to go through a metal detector every day. Usually no problems. Now when I go through the guards look confused and wand me every time. When they move the wand to the floor (shoe) it goes off. I've taken every item off my body.

Have you guys known this to happen with good shoes. The construction is similar to Allen Edmunds etc, with the Goodyear Welt and replaceable heel.

Omitting any judgement about whether they are good shoes or not, your shoes probably have a metal shank in the sole. Aldens do, certainly, and will set off a metal detector every time.

FaRKle

Reaction score

AE's don't have a metal shank, and thus don't set off metal detectors (none of mine ever have). As Andy mentioned though, those shoes with a metal shank will, and my Alden Indy boots set them off every time.

steppinthrax

Reaction score
Are Florsheim a bad shoe? It's my first "good" pair of shoes, before than I was getting department store rubber sole BS. I've been working on upgrading :)

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are Florsheim a bad shoe? It's my first "good" pair of shoes, before than I was getting department store rubber sole BS. I've been working on upgrading :)

It’s probably more productive to think of ‘good’ and ‘bad’ as relative to a particular price point rather than in absolute terms.

There seems to be a consensus that Florsheim has declined in quality over the years. Certainly this has been my experience. These days there are often better choices at the same price point.

Years ago their Imperials were good value for the money. I’ve got an old pair of pebble-grain double-soled country longwings that will probably outlive me.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited:

steppinthrax

Reaction score
I love these shoes. The finish looks real good, they make a distinctive click when you walk and the soles are nice. They wear nicely and seem repairable.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If they are authentic gunboats aside from a metal shank they also have a double row of nails and a metal "V" plate on the heels.
That's a lot of metal. I would be surprised if the security alarm didn't go off.....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads