• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Magna Carta to be auctioned for first time

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One month later: WORLD'S MOST EXPENSIVE JOINT UP FOR AUCTION!

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think a hedge fund manager will pick it up. Frame it nice and stick it in his study.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I think a hedge fund manager will pick it up. Frame it nice and stick it in his study.

I really hope the buyer does just what the Perot Foundation did--let the National Archives (or some museum) have it to display to the public. The very idea that this would be hidden away in someone's private residence makes me ill.

Unfortunately in today's world of the hyper-rich, museums just can't compete.

b

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I was at the National Archives this past weekend and they still have that copy of the Magna Carta listed as one of their exhibits even though it's no longer there. I'm surprised it's in any kind of legible condition as the American documents they had from the 1770s were already very faded and that copy of the Magna Carta is supposed to date to 1297.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I really hope the buyer does just what the Perot Foundation did--let the National Archives (or some museum) have it to display to the public. The very idea that this would be hidden away in someone's private residence makes me ill.

b

The piece being auctioned is one of several copies so I would'nt be bothered if my prediction is true.

fftfft

Reaction score
Glad I saw it at the archives a month ago. Seems kind of strange to pull such a historical/high profile piece for sale/profit. Hope it is bought by someone who keeps it available to the public in North America...

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
With an estimate of 25-30million, there are any number of billionaires around the world who probably would be interested. $25-30million to Warren Buffet of Bill Gates is probably about like buying a $12 CD for the rest of us...

I agree with you, though, about the sadness of keeping it in a private collection. Sounds something like the Japanese billionaire who, during the Bubble Economy days, paid close to $100mil for a Van Gogh and nobody has seen it since. I believe he has since died and some wonder if he followed through on his claim to have it cremated with his body.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I share your hope, but I disagree about where it should end up, - it's an old document, one of several and later copies, and as far as I've observed, private collectors treat their objects with far more respect and care than most museums do. They're also generally very willing to show their collections to more or less anyone who's genuinely interested. Collectors and other enthusiasts are often considered bores, and they're normally willing to take any opportunity to show off their collections and talk about them, at length.
Museums never could compete with the rich in terms of acquisition power, and will never be able to, unless by confiscation or donation. Mind you; I would say a majority of the world's great museums were started as private collections for the rich or royal.
Originally Posted by dah328
Hmm, I was at the National Archives this past weekend and they still have that copy of the Magna Carta listed as one of their exhibits even though it's no longer there. I'm surprised it's in any kind of legible condition as the American documents they had from the 1770s were already very faded and that copy of the Magna Carta is supposed to date to 1297.
If this Magna Carta is vellum, it may still be very fresh. Paper, on the other hand, is more volatile and vulnerable.
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I agree with you, though, about the sadness of keeping it in a private collection. Sounds something like the Japanese billionaire who, during the Bubble Economy days, paid close to $100mil for a Van Gogh and nobody has seen it since. I believe he has since died and some wonder if he followed through on his claim to have it cremated with his body.
I don't get this "sadness" thing; the painting is well documented, and the last I heard (this is a couple of years ago) it was being made freely available for research. The general public is deprived of seeing it for a few or several years, before it turns up in another museum, but really, so what? This Magna Carta is taken out of its historical context anyway- what on earth is it doing in the US? It's sacrilege.
devil.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
I don't get this "sadness" thing; the painting is well documented, and the last I heard (this is a couple of years ago) it was being made freely available for research. The general public is deprived of seeing it for a few or several years, before it turns up in another museum, but really, so what?
Are we talking about the same painting (one of the Dr. Gachet pictures?) Anyway, by no means have I kept up with the story, but I had thought it hadn't been seen since it was purchased in 1990 or so and that there was some hoopla at the time because he said when he died he'd like to have it cremated with him (and I think he died not long thereafter). Anyway, just because it's well documented doesn't mean it isn't sad if nobody has access to it, especially a van Gogh where the color and thick use of paint is most of the appeal. Manet's "Stone Breakers" is also well documented but was destroyed in WWII... seeing a big slide of it doesn't do much...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads