• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men costumes - discuss

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Preachy and obvious ... an early scene has Don & family on a picnic. They get up to go and, with some flourish, toss their empty wrappers, bottles, and whatnot all over the field. As they leave, the camera pauses and surveys the scene for what seems like forever. Good God - enough! I get the point(s)!

Just a minor example, but that scene stuck with me. Others I recall are (happily) fading in my memory, but others in my office who've watched the show offer their own vignettes in the course of making the same criticism.

Montauk

Reaction score
How about:

"Sally! The clothes that were in that dry cleaning bag better not be wrinkled!"

An example of how a potentially funny scene was lost to clunky writing. Matt Weiner is a VERY VERY lucky man.

BUT I still look forward to Sunday night at 10:00.

Beetleything

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Montauk
How about:

"Sally! The clothes that were in that dry cleaning bag better not be wrinkled!"

An example of how a potentially funny scene was lost to clunky writing. Matt Weiner is a VERY VERY lucky man.

BUT I still look forward to Sunday night at 10:00.

uh ?

I think it highlighted how Betty is not a great parent - letting her kid run around with a plastic bag on her head- potentially very dangerous.....
eh.gif

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back to the costume?

Campbell is wearing a collar pin in yesterday's episode and an interesting shade of blue that I really didn't think would be something you'd wear shortly after new year's. Cosgrove also dresses like he hasn't changed either so I guess 1965 is not that big of a change for some people.

TheButler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
Preachy and obvious ... an early scene has Don & family on a picnic. They get up to go and, with some flourish, toss their empty wrappers, bottles, and whatnot all over the field. As they leave, the camera pauses and surveys the scene for what seems like forever. Good God - enough! I get the point(s)!
Reminds me of this commercial in Canada they used to have for the WWF

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The return of the pocket square in this most recent episode. Almost everyone had one at one point that I can remember.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
The return of the pocket square in this most recent episode. Almost everyone had one at one point that I can remember.

Not Don, nor Pete. Pete did have a club collar with collar bar going though.

Mike

nexus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fwiffo
Back to the costume?

Campbell is wearing a collar pin in yesterday's episode and an interesting shade of blue that I really didn't think would be something you'd wear shortly after new year's. Cosgrove also dresses like he hasn't changed either so I guess 1965 is not that big of a change for some people.

Remember that Cosgrove has been bouncing around at a couple of firms. He's had some success but he gives the sense that he's a bit of a small wheel in a big machine, drifting along. It would be incongruous for him to look noticeably different.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been looking hard for a vintage blue suit akin to the ones that Pete wears. Have yet to find anything.

Mike

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BigPoppa
I was recently an extra on Mad Men.
Thought ya'll might be interested:

2010-08-05_10-24-36_114.jpg

Cool...was your role "Guy Getting Lapdance From Betty and Joan?"

VladimirS

Reaction score
T-shirt with a shirt - that you think? Somewhere read - that it is a "mauvais ton". But Don - almost always in a T-shirt, but not in a vest.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
I guess interesting in the word, although it's kind of distressing to see Janie Bryant shill for Banana Republic.

She needs them for the male designs but I know she has her own brand now for the women's stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads