• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

based on my hourly rate i think i would lose money by taking the time to clean my own shirts.

This only makes sense if ironing your clothes prevents you from working. Maybe it does somehow. As MrJester said, since he doesn't iron his clothes at work, his opportunity cost is pretty small.

I could conceivably see some point in the future where I'd prefer to pay someone to iron my clothes, as I already pay someone to come in and clean sometimes. Ironing can be pretty calming, and of course it's rewarding.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This only makes sense if ironing your clothes prevents you from working. Maybe it does somehow. As MrJester said, since he doesn't iron his clothes at work, his opportunity cost is pretty small.

I could conceivably see some point in the future where I'd prefer to pay someone to iron my clothes, as I already pay someone to come in and clean sometimes. Ironing can be pretty calming, and of course it's rewarding.

I have 14-15 dress shirts. I normally wash them and hang dry. Then I iron about 10 at a time and leave the other 5 for the following weekend.

I can see how life gets in the way though, especially for guys who have more shirts than me.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I'm going to be honest, the shoulders are slightly too big and the sleeves are certainly too long
Not sure I agree with you. Unbuttoned, they lay right at the webbing/first knuckle on my thumb. And the shoulders - I like them just fine.

I can see what you mean on the sleeves, they do look long. I added more fabric to the width of the forearm which I think got transferred to the cuff as well. That was the miss. This is easily fixed, even by me. But it hasn't even been ironed yet, so they look wider than they are- they're just flat and resting further down than usual.

They fit the way I want them to for the most part. Dialed in just the way I like!

Also, I really have never gotten in to the rolled button down stuff. So I just asked Therese to give this a casual roll. She did. Thanks @luxire !

edit: This is COMFORTABLE as hell. Wow. I need more flannel for that week of winter we get.

Last edited:

Spurious

Reaction score
Economics talk:

Free time or time in general is a scarce resource, so it has a price. I'd say the value of my free time is considerably higher than my hourly at work, so doing work that is paid less than my regular wage will decrease my overall utility of my used time.

There is no financial reason for someone with a proper education to iron his own shirts. As you said, calming effects and other side effects of it can make it worthwhile (just like cooking).

GradSchooler

Reaction score

Economics talk:

Free time or time in general is a scarce resource, so it has a price. I'd say the value of my free time is considerably higher than my hourly at work, so doing work that is paid less than my regular wage will decrease my overall utility of my used time.

There is no financial reason for someone with a proper education to iron his own shirts. As you said, calming effects and other side effects of it can make it worthwhile (just like cooking).

Well that was a load of abstract economic malarkey if ever I heard it. And education and finances aren't as strongly positively correlated as you think. Especially not in this economy, where those trying to enter the job market, regardless of education, are often getting part-time or other work that pays far below their qualifications.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Economics talk:

Well that was a load of abstract economic malarkey if ever I heard it. And education and finances aren't as strongly positively correlated as you think. Especially not in this economy, where those trying to enter the job market, regardless of education, are often getting part-time or other work that pays far below their qualifications.
I'm so not getting in to all that. I iron my own shirts when laundry is being done on a Sunday. I save time every Sunday after drinks with friends for laundry and cleaning. And this goes with that.

Sure, therapeutic... It's therapeutic.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sky Blue Summer Chambray. It's a bit lighter than the original SBSC but it still drapes just as nice. It's about as basic but interesting as you can get. If you click on the image, click view original, then the full size, you can see the texture. I like it.

itraxx

Reaction score
Does anyone know what exactly the "Hand accent" on the peacoat is?

I searched the thread but didn't find anything.

jaidog

Reaction score
Sky Blue Summer Chambray. It's a bit lighter than the original SBSC but it still drapes just as nice. It's about as basic but interesting as you can get. If you click on the image, click view original, then the full size, you can see the texture. I like it.

Thanks for the info. A while ago, I searched this thread for the Sky Blue Summer Chambray. Seems like the original version of the material was not well received and, in mid-2013, Luxire changed it to a Monti fabric which got better reviews. But, I could not find any info regarding the normal Blue Summer Chambray. Anyone have experience with Blue Summer Chambray?

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. A while ago, I searched this thread for the Sky Blue Summer Chambray. Seems like the original version of the material was not well received and, in mid-2013, Luxire changed it to a Monti fabric which got better reviews. But, I could not find any info regarding the normal Blue Summer Chambray. Anyone have experience with Blue Summer Chambray?
That dark of blue seems to be frowned upon in the SF mindset. That really is quite a dark blue. It has its place, but not really something I'd order just yet. Too many other gaps.

I would say just get the SBSC if you're going for a first luxire shirt and that fills a gap. Fits any occasion and is one of the cheaper shirts.

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure I agree with you. Unbuttoned, they lay right at the webbing/first knuckle on my thumb. And the shoulders - I like them just fine. 

I can see what you mean on the sleeves, they do look long. I added more fabric to the width of the forearm which I think got transferred to the cuff as well. That was the miss. This is easily fixed, even by me. But it hasn't even been ironed yet, so they look wider than they are- they're just flat and resting further down than usual.

They fit the way I want them to for the most part. Dialed in just the way I like!

Also, I really have never gotten in to the rolled button down stuff. So I just asked Therese to give this a casual roll. She did. Thanks @luxire
 !

edit: This is COMFORTABLE as hell. Wow. I need more flannel for that week of winter we get.

There will be some shrinkage after the first wash (at least there was with mine). I love mine as well, I will get more.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads