• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking like a fool

williamson

Reaction score

Someone needs to untuck the stick from their ass

And everyone needs to learn that such crudities of expression are totally unnecessary. Civilised dialogue is not helped by them - they are nasty and unwelcome in both writing and speech, and SF would be a far pleasanter place if writers refrained from using them.

Last edited:

albeindc

Reaction score
if you want to look like an old guy or actually have a reason to tuck your shirt into your jeans or casual slacks, then do it. otherwise, i'm wearing my shirt untucked if it's a casual day out. i already spend the rest of the week wearing my shirts tucked in at work... i didn't even know that having an untucked shirt was a "trend", i thought it was just practicality and comfort

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a little boy, I can remember our mom's always saying , "Tuck in you shirt". Maybe that is why we like to wear them out.

I like the look of an un-ironed BDOC, untucked with a pair of jeans (or khakis) and white Purcell sneakers.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And I think it always looks stupid regardless of formality.

That is fine, just be aware not everyone agrees with you.

It's simply how shirts and pants best fit together.

Again, your opinion.

Your parents made you tuck in for more formal occasions because that was the only time she cared enough. The goal was probably to get you to tuck in all the time, but considering that you're still rebelling against your parents now, you were probably a problem child, requiring her to pick her battles.

Haha, thank you for this, it made me smile. It would also appear I am not the only rebel/problem child:

As a little boy, I can remember our mom's always saying , "Tuck in you shirt". Maybe that is why we like to wear them out.
I like the look of an un-ironed BDOC, untucked with a pair of jeans (or khakis) and white Purcell sneakers.

Snedley

Reaction score
Who else thinks the following "styles" look absolutely foolish.
Always wearing a dress shirt untucked with trousers or jeans.
Wearing a sweater over an untucked dress shirt.
Wearing a suit or sport coat over an untucked dress shirt.
Why do we always have to go to the lowest common denominator?
Can any one honestly say that any of the above "styles"' look appropriate on any one older than a 3 year old child who does not know any better.

I'd add wearing tight shirts to that list. They make you look like a busboy or some sort of servant.

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
people whose shirt cuffs have creases.

people with white rimmed sunglasses.

LeviMay

Reaction score
Griped about it before, but the "high school grad" look: Black suit, black shirt, white (or birghtly-coloured) tie. Ugh.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
95.2% of the male population don't know how to dress. Obviously I include myself.

Last edited:

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, of course you can tuck a "dress shirt" into jeans -- but the jeans should be top quality, be unadorned (or Levi's) and fit you well. (cf. APC New Standard or Petit Standard) And the shirt should ideally be slim but not darted (Gitman Vintage, Band of Outsiders, BB Slim or Extra Slim Fit), and it can't be pressed (light ironing is fine.). Preferably a button down collar

I often wear a Gitman Vintage or BB slim fit oxford with raw denim.

Another way to wear it -- find a beat-up old BB oxford, wear with faded 501s and a bridle leather belt with aged brass buckle. Insert feet into dirty bucks = be a chick magnet.

The key here is that you need to be in shape. That automatically excludes about 80 percent of male population.

Blasphima

Reaction score

Griped about it before, but the "high school grad" look: Black suit, black shirt, white (or birghtly-coloured) tie.

This. This. This so hard.

I see it all the time - dudes walking around in ill-fitting funeral suits (with the bottom button done, of course) and atrocious shirt/tie combos (i.e. a very loosely knotted light pink polyester tie and a black shirt with a button-down collar), all while thinking that they look 'classy' or 'formal'.

To add to the list:
* Baseball caps with suits (yes, I've seen it IRL).
* Matching shirt, tie, and pocket square (bonus points if a pre-tied bowtie is involved).

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Polo shirts without the matching helmet :embar:

I get it. And yes. I completely agree.

To tuck or not to tuck, that is the question.
Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer
the slings and arrows of outraged igents
Or to flap our shirt tails in the cooling breeze

For me, it's a matter of function. If the shirt is designed to be tucked in, i.e., has tails, then wear it tucked in. If it doesn't have tails, then you can tuck it in or not. Though there are certainly a few situations when tucking it can make you look like a doofus.

But if a shirt has tails, and most especially long tails, then it looks pretty stupid not to tuck it in. If you don't want to tuck in your shirt, fine, just get a shirt that's not supposed to be tucked in.

To me it's a little like (thought not quite as bad) as people who wear french cuffs without cufflinks.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

I like this look so much that on my ride home yesterday I was considering getting my first pair of white sneakers since I was a teenager.

Well, of course you can tuck a "dress shirt" into jeans -- but the jeans should be top quality, be unadorned (or Levi's) and fit you well. (cf. APC New Standard or Petit Standard) And the shirt should ideally be slim but not darted (Gitman Vintage, Band of Outsiders, BB Slim or Extra Slim Fit), and it can't be pressed (light ironing is fine.). Preferably a button down collar

That's pretty much what I'm wearing right now: a Tom Ford buttondown tucked into my LVC raw denim, a suede 'gator belt, and dark brown suede LWBs. I think it's a solid business casual look.

people who wear french cuffs without cufflinks.

Wait, what?! :crazy:

That's what paperclips are for.

Last edited:

Tropicalist

Reaction score
Black suit
Add to that lavender, petrol blue, parrot green, purple, aubergine, pink etc
Any black and blue combo
Button down polo collar shirts with a suit
Patterns of similar scale
Dark Shirt light tie
Man made fabrics
Stripes with stripes with stripes
Checks with checks with checks
Solids with solids with solids
Backpack on an adult
Black shoes with a light coloured suit
Actually all black shoes
digital watch
Logos
Hello kitty socks
Dyed hair
Bushy brows

The list can go on

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads