• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, I am said to say.  No UK retailers will be able to export Loake to the US or Canada henceforth.

Repeated again below!

Could all our StyleForum customers please note that Loake are extending their export restrictions for UK retailers to the US and Canada in addition to the countries already affected. We will not be able to send any shoes to those countries after the end of January.

This is really unfortunate.

3lilnags

Reaction score

Hi

Gosh that is surprising - both Claridge and Capital lasts to tend to fit true to size. It would be our standard advise to drop half a size from the US size and this does work well for the majority of our customers. Unfortunately it is not possible to be 100% sure without trying the shoes on, and we do come across exceptions to the rule.

Have we arranged to send a replacement?

Regards

Mike.

Could all our StyleForum customers please note that Loake are extending their export restrictions for UK retailers to the US and Canada in addition to the countries already affected. We will not be able to send any shoes to those countries after the end of January.

No, no replacement was arranged, I was just instructed to follow the return instructions on the website. I had a second order on hold (awaiting confirmation of the fit) which I had to cancel. It was disappointing, as the shoes were impeccably finished. To be honest, there was so much extra volume in the shoe, I am not convinced that another half size down would fit perfectly. It is hard to commit to try another pair with the knowledge that it may cost me another $65 with still no shoes to show for the money.

Everyone with your company has been very polite and helpful, the shoes seem quite nice and some styles that I don't see from Allen Edmonds. Sorry to hear about the export restrictions, I hope it does not hamper your fine business.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here in Toronto, a local shop carries Loake's at around $600CDN plus tax. I ordered a pair of Kemptons from Pediwear last night for about $280CDN all in. All this does is make me stop buying from Loake and look at Carmina/Alden which fall in this range locally. 

Be prepared to pay a very high price for Carmina.

PParker ESQ

Reaction score
Around $550 locally (maybe more to adjust for the currency). My point being that without UK webstores, that is less than what I'd be paying for Loake locally.
That makes sense, why pay for an overpriced product when a superior product could be purchased for the equivalent price.

Last edited:

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Loake experts, wondering what size to go with for the snuff suede Kemptons? Ordering from Pediwear to Canada so trying to get it right the first time. Any chance of getting the Loake Club discount on my first order?

I am 12D Brannock, 11.5D Barrie, 11.5E AE 5 last, 12E Rancourt Ranger Moc, 11D Wolverine 1K, 11D Red Wing Beckman

Edit: And a 11F UK in the Loake Chester (024 last), 10.5F UK Capital last.

We are nearly the exact same size. I'm thinking about the Pimlico but can't decide between 10.5UK and 11UK.

Firstly your choice of both shoe brands and retailer are beyond reproach
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

Unfortunately we are not familiar with the brands you discussed (though we did have a good look at AE at Pitti) and there is quite a wide range of sizes. Perhaps someone on the forum more familiar with AE last 5 might be able to help. We generally suggest half a size down from the US size - and the Kempton tends to fit quite true to UK size. However, with such a range of sizes it is difficult to know what to suggest.

We can also email you some instructions on measuring your feet?

Regards

Mike

I am a 12D Brannock.

When you say size down .5, do you mean I should size down from 12D US to 11.5D US, which would mean 11UK?

I'm confused.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are nearly the exact same size. I'm thinking about the Pimlico but can't decide between 10.5UK and 11UK.

I am a 12D Brannock.

When you say size down .5, do you mean I should size down from 12D US to 11.5D US, which would mean 11UK?

I'm confused.

I'd recommend 11F UK in the Pimlico. I am 8.5 D US on Brannock and 7.5 F UK works for me on the Pimlico. If anything I find them ever so slightly large after breaking them in, but on the other hand I don't think I could have sized down to 7 UK.

Last edited:

dohare

Reaction score
I don't think Loakes are worth $550? Damn, I just started getting established with my menswear base and have a pair of buckinghams, and I love them, reasonably priced, and now they are completely out of my price range. I get the exchange is strong with the dollar now, but now Loakes aren't even on my radar, I'll have to look to Meermins/Allen Edmonds from here out.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He just said the range it falls in locally, which is equivalent to Loakes now, I don't understand what you're saying.

I was just stating that Carmina is going up in price as well. They used to be $400 at one point locally and are not around $580 last time I checked.

I've never purchased a pair of Loake, I was going to via Pediwear but now they are not going to be shipping to USA/Canada

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just stating that Carmina is going up in price as well. They used to be $400 at one point locally and are not around $580 last time I checked.

I've never purchased a pair of Loake, I was going to via Pediwear but now they are not going to be shipping to USA/Canada

I think we have till the end of the month to get our orders in.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend 11F UK in the Pimlico. I am 8.5 D US on Brannock and 7.5 F UK works for me on the Pimlico. If anything I find them ever so slightly large after breaking them in, but on the other hand I don't think I could have sized down to 7 UK.

This was my kneejerk reaction, as it's been what everyone has been recommending, but with @chiggyv 's experience, I 'm further confused. He is near my size in everything else.

Also, this is the sizing advice from EastDane for the Pimlico (Capital last).

Size & Fit
Fit
UK sizing. Runs large.
Size down 1 full size. For example, if you wear a UK10.5, select a UK9.5.

Kevin24

Reaction score
I recently heard(and have confirmed) that Loake will no longer be selling their shoes to US customers online.

Therefore I have decided to pull the trigger on my first pair of loakes.

I was looking to get a pair of casual boots as I am pretty well rounded for now in the dress shoe dept.

I was wondering if anyone could comment on the quality of these? Compared to say a U.S. maker such as Allen Edmonds.

Loake Pimlico

Loake Bedale Brogue

Loake Kempton

Loake Winchester Brogue

I was also looking at getting a pair of Loake Strands as well.

Thank you for your opinions!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member