• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gj555

Reaction score
I noticed a recent email from Herring Shoes similarly calling out that starting Feb 1, they can’t ship Loake to Canada or the US. Herring did note that some Herring private label shoes are made by Loake and the ones that are can continue to be purchased - so that may be an option for some going forward. I assume this change is to protect the local distributor’s market in Canada. As others have said, Loake is sold at around $575 CDN (seriously – check out Walking on a Cloud’s website). While the prices are crazy high, the other problem is limited sizes in Canada. I am a 7.5US and a 6.5UK and I have only seen Loake shoes in Canada starting at 7Uk.

dohare

Reaction score
From a business perspective, I don't understand the price differential. With the exception of baking in shipping costs to US/CAD dealers, how does a shoe go from $230 to $580. If they are getting $170 GBP, and that converts to $230 USD (excl. VAT), they are getting their asking sales price, no? It seems as if the US/CAD markets are literally just marked up with no additional value added.

I think Loake should hire a CFO who can hedge currencies instead of banning export. But hey, I'm a little bitter.

I'm wondering if my next vacation I'll just make a stop in the UK to stock up? At a $250+ mark up, it's not remotely unreasonable.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Loake should hire a CFO who can hedge currencies instead of banning export. But hey, I'm a little bitter.

They're banning retail export, not wholesale. I do agree, however, that the retail price in North America should be much lower. This is the same thing Carmina had to do.

I wish I could make a Eurotrip to buy shoes, but alas I am stuck here, making educated guesses on sizes and playing the shoe market like it's Forex.

jaba

Reaction score
If I'm a 9E or 9.5D on the AE 65 last, do you know what size I should go for the Kempton or Pimlico?
Thanks!

dohare

Reaction score
I'm with you on this. I'm not sure where along the line the shoes get priced this high. The store I went to in Toronto was in the Financial District and I figured that people making more money than me were willing to pay the price.
I thought this too, as if the premium mark-up is just for people who are clueless? but then, why make the move because you're trying to halt people importing them? They must be assuming people will love Loakes so much that when it comes to their next pair, they will fork up the extra $250, when in reality, they've just moved completely out of their US/CAD current (importers exclusively) customer bases' price range.

SSingh1975

Reaction score
So who are the US retailers now? I love my Bufford and was planning to add in another semi casual pair of boots (and from experience, was considering another Loake).

Bummer that they are no longer shipping to USA. All of a sudden, I'm also looking at Meermin and other options.

Odradek

Reaction score

I wish I could make a Eurotrip to buy shoes, but alas I am stuck here, making educated guesses on sizes and playing the shoe market like it's Forex.

Ha!
I'm sitting here in Europe doing the same thing with Allen Edmonds.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently heard(and have confirmed) that Loake will no longer be selling their shoes to US customers online.

Therefore I have decided to pull the trigger on my first pair of loakes.

I was looking to get a pair of casual boots as I am pretty well rounded for now in the dress shoe dept.

I was wondering if anyone could comment on the quality of these? Compared to say a U.S. maker such as Allen Edmonds.

Loake Pimlico

Loake Bedale Brogue

Loake Kempton

Loake Winchester Brogue

I was also looking at getting a pair of Loake Strands as well.

Thank you for your opinions!
I don't know about the other ones, but I have a pair of Strands in mahogany. They are beautiful shoes that fit quite snuggly. They are made on the Capital last, as are Loake's Buckinghams. I have these in tan and medium brown. Think of the Buckinghams as being fully brogued, while the Strands as half brogued. Although I do wear them with casual clothes, the Strands are a more formal shoe. Buckinghams will go with anything, in my view. Good luck!

th6252

Reaction score
For those of familiar with Loake mahogany colored shoes(Ledbury's in this case), would you say they can work with a navy or charcoal suit or is the shade of brown just too light? Thanks!

Boyd

Reaction score
I prefer darker shades of brown for navy or charcoal suits, probaly even black. In my opinion, that mahogany shade would work better with a less formal attire

huffman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hi guys. Just picked my first pair of Loake. Can anyone tell which line these are from? They appear to be vintage, something made somewhere in the 60s. I paid $15 for them. They appear to be in great condition. Can you tell for sure they are vintage or something else? Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of familiar with Loake mahogany colored shoes(Ledbury's in this case), would you say they can work with a navy or charcoal suit or is the shade of brown just too light? Thanks!

While I don't wear suits very often, these days, I find that Loake mahogany shoes go well with navy trousers and jeans. I am fairly sure that they would go with charcoal, too. For me, mahogany, as far as shoes are concerned, isn't really on the brown scale but rather a (reddish) colour in it's own right. From what I have read, burgundy/mahogany is the most versatile of shoe colours. If you want some fun, use a red shoe cream, every so often.

th6252

Reaction score

While I don't wear suits very often, these days, I find that Loake mahogany shoes go well with navy trousers and jeans. I am fairly sure that they would go with charcoal, too. For me, mahogany, as far as shoes are concerned, isn't really on the brown scale but rather a  (reddish) colour in it's own right. From what I have read, burgundy/mahogany is the most versatile of shoe colours. If you want some fun, use a red shoe cream, every so often.  

I really appreciate the advice, exactly what I was hoping to hear.
Not sure if it's just me or if it's just the shade variation on the shoes I received, but my Ledburys seem closer to a medium brown than burgundy...and for this pair, I really was looking for more of a brown, not necessarily a true dark brown though. So instead using a red shoe cream, thinking of using dark brown just to get the shade a touch darker.

smerf

Reaction score
While I don't wear suits very often, these days, I find that Loake mahogany shoes go well with navy trousers and jeans. I am fairly sure that they would go with charcoal, too. For me, mahogany, as far as shoes are concerned, isn't really on the brown scale but rather a (reddish) colour in it's own right. From what I have read, burgundy/mahogany is the most versatile of shoe colours. If you want some fun, use a red shoe cream, every so often.

Munky - I'm not sure whether polishing mahogany shoes red is the best idea... I've tried using some purple shoe cream from Saphir on burgundy shoes that were fairly close to purple initially, but ended up staining the shoes in a few places and had to dye the shoes purple instead :/ Maybe that was an extreme example but just saying ;)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchaslimprix