• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lengthening the rise on suit pants??

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took a chance on a three-piece suit and the low-rise pants aren't conducive to a proper fit with the vest. Needless to say, low-rise results in a lower positing of the belt, unfortunately this results in the the belt poking through, and even more so when the bottom button is left undone.

My question is: can you lengthen the rise on the pants by about 2" without any adverse affects on the pants overall? It seems possible having looked at the construction of the pant, simply open up the pant and sew it together at a lower point. The only implication I see is the zipper no longer sits at the bottom of the rise.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of alteration??

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had it done with excellent results. It all depends on how much extra cloth is in the seam that the tailor has to work with.......2" is a lot though....

Regards.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, maybe 2" is asking too much, I just don't want the belt sticking out. I'll take it to a tailor as opposed to an alterations place since it seems a little more intricate.

AB01

Reaction score
If you had an awesome belt, this wouldn't be a problem and you wouldn't have to hide it. If you are hiding your belt for a streamlined look, try a buckle-less belt. Leather all the way around.

I'm giving you these options before you go about possibly messing up your pants.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The most you can lengthen the rise will be about 3/4" by letting out the crotch and deepening it at the same time. You could also make the vest longer by cutting a new back and lengthening from the top. The lining will not match the existing lining. Don't wear a belt under a vest. You will also need a tailor who knows how to execute these adjustments.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm happy to say that I was able to have the rise increased by about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch by taking the pants to a local alterations place. They took extra fabric from the trousers and sewed it into the crotch area in the shape of a diamond. This allowed me to wear the pants slightly higher, and just enough so a belt doesn't show under the vest. I overestimated how much it would need to move up, this little bit was all I needed.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AB01
If you had an awesome belt, this wouldn't be a problem and you wouldn't have to hide it. If you are hiding your belt for a streamlined look, try a buckle-less belt. Leather all the way around.

I'm giving you these options before you go about possibly messing up your pants.

facepalm.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads