• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While visiting my mother a few weeks ago, in addition to her rescue yorkie (1st pic, on the left) she's "fostering" an adorable yorkie+bichon girl. I put fostering in quotes because, as someone who comes from the cat rescue business and is familiar with the pitfalls of fostering, I can see that my mom is quickly sliding from "owning one, fostering another" to "owning two".

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this thread is active that much but anybody have to deal with complaints about your dog making noise and a more serious allegation that my dog is in distress? Just want to cover some bases and can't actually talk to whoever accused my girlfriend and I as they didn't talk to us about it at all and management is just going around it.

Feel free to PM, would really appreciate it!

And of course a pic, Max doing what he does all day - sleep!

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure if this thread is active that much but anybody have to deal with complaints about your dog making noise and a more serious allegation that my dog is in distress? Just want to cover some bases and can't actually talk to whoever accused my girlfriend and I as they didn't talk to us about it at all and management is just going around it.

Explain "distress".

lefty

My guess.... he isn't crate trained and has bad separation anxiety such that he does more than just bark.... or that he barks so much he begins to get tired.

After day three with my dog, we never had any issues with barking or such until we moved to a temporary apartment a couple years later. None of our stuff was there save his crate and our rabbit.... we were not that comfortable there (lots of stress and fighting between me and the SO). Albert would bark incessantly.... nothing would stop it when he was crated and left alone. Then howling.... whatever it was could not break him. When we moved into our house, no barking whatsoever.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shiz Zsu from I remember have a high pitch bark, which if you don't know them, can be misinterpreted as them being in pain.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Get a Beagle, then whoever it is will really know what a dog that makes a lot of noise sounds like.

My GF in college and I had a Shih Tzu. She still has the dog since I got it for her (she wanted it) and I still have my big dog. They are good little dogs if you want a small dog.

In all seriousness though, the person is probably just an idiot. Max is probably just whining because he is sad that his people aren't home and he is lonely.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw an "American Bully" in the flesh for the first time--a squatty, unathletic looking brute. Give me the lean, agile athleticism of a good old-fashioned fighting pit bulldog any day!

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, can't imagine they would be anything worth looking at. He takes a lot of ****, but you have to respect Donovan for creating a somewhat viable breed.

lefty

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most Am bulls around aren't that muscular only the idiots with small penis syndrome have muscular ones.

Same people somehow thinks no one, is going to notice that they have pit bull which have been illegal for the better part of 20 years.

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He's talking about an American Bully not an American Bulldog. Different "breeds".

lefty

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i believe american bulldogs are the kind that weigh up to 120 lbs and huge/proportionate.

the ones I've seen that my friends have seem to be total pushovers that kids (even babies and toddlers) can climb all over and play with.

I wanted one so badly for my 2nd dog, but we lived in a apartment and didn't want to deal with the possibility of having to move to another apartment buidling in nYC that didn't' allow "pitbulls".

the american bulldog gets a bad rep because its seemingly tied into the shorter more squat kind known as the american bull terrier/american straffordshire terriers. (which i guess are more ideal for "fighting"). compared to the larger american bulldog.

the dog in the little rascals was a pittbull:

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's a ton of info on the American Bulldog in this thread. It's history is as varied as the person telling it, but there are some things that seem to be true.

The US South always has rough catch/utility dogs around to work stock, catch boar and perform general farm duties. These were typically large (60 - 90 lbs) white bulldogs. As farms developed after WW2 the dogs were needed less and less and in danger of dying off but for a few hotspots.

Hoping to save the breed, John Johnson started searching out dogs to start a breeding program. He fancied the larger bully dogs he found and went as far as to add in some decent English Bulldog blood. Alan Scott (among others) worked with him, but Scott liked the smaller faster dogs. Eventually they split off and the breed began to develop two distinct phenotypes: the bully Johnson dogs known as "classic" and the smaller catch dogs known as "standard." Mixes were known as "hybrids." That's more or less it, though it doesn't take into account the White English or Ol' Southern White whose advocates say it is the original bulldog. Or the Painter lines which were more or less pit crosses, but figure in many early standard pedigrees.

Jan was talking about an American Bully which seems to be a cross between a wheezing English Bulldog and an overdone ****** pitbull.

lefty

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jan was talking about an American Bully which seems to be a cross between a wheezing English Bulldog and an overdone ****** pitbull.

lefty

I think APBT or Amstaff and Staffy Bull are supposed to be the ancestral breeds, but I think your analysis may be closer to the mark.

What is the attraction of this breed, do you think? Is this squatty creature supposed to look "badder" than a regular APBT or what?

I will note that when I was interested in getting a Staffy Bull--before another Tosa came my way--most of the Staffies looked very "overdone"--sad.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're probably right. Either way it was created by putting together individual dogs that should have been culled.

No idea why the fascination.

Early shot of an English and I guess, American Bulldog prototype.

Here is Johnson's orginal stud, Dick the Bruiser:

And here is Scott's stud, Mac the Masher:

Johnson went this way - Incredible Mean Machine:

And Scott went this way - Dixie Gypsy:

lefty

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchaslimprix