lefty's random dog thread.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lefty, Mar 22, 2009.

1. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Mine just turned one year old on the 14th and I must say she has exceeded all expectations. Except sometimes she tries to eat the baby: [​IMG]

2. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

I really like those dogs but am too much of a girl when it comes to my furniture and I just don't think they would respond well to kenneling.

My wife just expressed an interest in the Airedale so I may have a wire-hair in my life sometime soon.

lefty

That's right - any dog can be crated for periods, but dh's really fade if not around they're people. They're easy house dogs despite their size as long as they get proper exercise. A huge terrier needs a ton of exercise as well, but I gather you're heavily engaged in dog activities.

3. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Mine just turned one year old on the 14th and I must say she has exceeded all expectations.

Except sometimes she tries to eat the baby:
    [​IMG]

Great pic!

4. lefty

lefty Senior member

That's right - any dog can be crated for periods, but dh's really fade if not around they're people. They're easy house dogs despite their size as long as they get proper exercise. A huge terrier needs a ton of exercise as well, but I gather you're heavily engaged in dog activities.

Yes, but I have never owned a gazehound though I've always admired them in flight. Watching a deerhound take a deer would be a thing of beauty.

And I love a good rack.

[​IMG]

5. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Yes, but I have never owned a gazehound though I've always admired them in flight. Watching a deerhound take a deer would be a thing of beauty.

And I love a good rack.

[​IMG]

Real fine - but gaze upon the mighty Stag and imagine your hounds pursuing yon beastie over hill and mountain and meadow, never flagging until it's brought to bay as you're running behind singing, 'Caledonia, Caledonia...' After dispatching the beast I guess it'd be nice to return triumphant to your rack holder....

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. lefty

lefty Senior member

Nice, but does your prey travel in herds?

[​IMG]

lefty

7. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Nice, but does your prey travel in herds?

[​IMG]

lefty

Dammit - my wife told me she was giving up posing.

8. nootje

nootje Senior member

Lefty,

perhaps you might see an alternative here. My inlaws (specifically the MIL ) now wants a dog again, and has her mind sort of set on a GSD. Now, ive repeatedly voiced my opinions here about inbreeding several breeds of dogs, and now im confronted with them choosing prehaps the most inbred breed of them all..

As it stand they are still in the considering fase, and i might be able to steer them toward a more healthy breed. At the moment im looking into the tervuren sheperd, and the groenendael sheperd. Got perhaps any more alternatives?

thanks.

9. lefty

lefty Senior member

You are fortunate in that you can access strong working lines in Europe. The GSD, while overbred in certain circles, is still a viable and healthy breed. Here are the current listings for GSD litters in The Netherlands: http://www.working-dog.eu/zucht_anse...00&searchterm=

If they are looking for a pet dog I would steer towards smaller kennels where health and an even temperament are bred for. I would also avoid a show GSD if you could.

The Tervuren is a nice dog as is the Groenendael and the Laekenois but they are high-energy breeds. Hovawart could work.

Once people have a breed in mind it's very difficult to talk them out of it.

lefty

10. dcg

dcg Senior member

Curious - since the other three Belgian Shepherds have been brought up, why not the Malinois? Appearance wise would be most similar to the GSD, right?

11. lefty

lefty Senior member

More intensely bred for work than it's cousins. Difficult to find a reasonable calm one for a pet/family situation. Same as the Dutch Shepherd.

Unless you're used to that level of intensity it could be a problem for everyone. Strong drives need to be shaped and controlled.

lefty

12. nootje

nootje Senior member

havent yet brought any discussion of the subject up. To be fair, they would use the dog mainly as a family/guard dog. therefore I dont think a working line is in order, and that will drive one quickly to the less ethical breeders.

I will look into the smaller kennels that breed for a family dog.

hadnt thought of the hovawart, knew the breed but didnt connect it untill now, thanks.

13. lefty

lefty Senior member

Other breeds to consider would be the Kuvasz, Briard or the Bouvier. All are large, excellent property and personal protectors (no one will get near you with a Kuvasz by your side) and reasonably healthy. None as are wash-and-wear as the GSD.

Briard is a looker:

[​IMG]

lefty

14. dcg

dcg Senior member

More intensely bred for work than it's cousins. Difficult to find a reasonable calm one for a pet/family situation. Same as the Dutch Shepherd.

Unless you're used to that level of intensity it could be a problem for everyone. Strong drives need to be shaped and controlled.

lefty

Wasn't sure how much difference there was in temperament between the breeds, but suspected that might be the answer. Thanks.

15. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Our Miniature Schnauzer, Jake [​IMG] [​IMG]