• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine just turned one year old on the 14th and I must say she has exceeded all expectations. Except sometimes she tries to eat the baby:
DSC_0006.jpg

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
I really like those dogs but am too much of a girl when it comes to my furniture and I just don't think they would respond well to kenneling.

My wife just expressed an interest in the Airedale so I may have a wire-hair in my life sometime soon.

lefty

That's right - any dog can be crated for periods, but dh's really fade if not around they're people. They're easy house dogs despite their size as long as they get proper exercise. A huge terrier needs a ton of exercise as well, but I gather you're heavily engaged in dog activities.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Mine just turned one year old on the 14th and I must say she has exceeded all expectations.

Except sometimes she tries to eat the baby:
DSC_0006.jpg

Great pic!

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
That's right - any dog can be crated for periods, but dh's really fade if not around they're people. They're easy house dogs despite their size as long as they get proper exercise. A huge terrier needs a ton of exercise as well, but I gather you're heavily engaged in dog activities.

Yes, but I have never owned a gazehound though I've always admired them in flight. Watching a deerhound take a deer would be a thing of beauty.

And I love a good rack.

2010.jpg

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, but I have never owned a gazehound though I've always admired them in flight. Watching a deerhound take a deer would be a thing of beauty.

And I love a good rack.

2010.jpg

Real fine - but gaze upon the mighty Stag and imagine your hounds pursuing yon beastie over hill and mountain and meadow, never flagging until it's brought to bay as you're running behind singing, 'Caledonia, Caledonia...' After dispatching the beast I guess it'd be nice to return triumphant to your rack holder....

Our20Highland20Stag.jpg
Highland_Stag.jpg

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lefty,

perhaps you might see an alternative here. My inlaws (specifically the MIL ) now wants a dog again, and has her mind sort of set on a GSD. Now, ive repeatedly voiced my opinions here about inbreeding several breeds of dogs, and now im confronted with them choosing prehaps the most inbred breed of them all..

As it stand they are still in the considering fase, and i might be able to steer them toward a more healthy breed. At the moment im looking into the tervuren sheperd, and the groenendael sheperd. Got perhaps any more alternatives?

thanks.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You are fortunate in that you can access strong working lines in Europe. The GSD, while overbred in certain circles, is still a viable and healthy breed. Here are the current listings for GSD litters in The Netherlands: http://www.working-dog.eu/zucht_anse...00&searchterm=

If they are looking for a pet dog I would steer towards smaller kennels where health and an even temperament are bred for. I would also avoid a show GSD if you could.

The Tervuren is a nice dog as is the Groenendael and the Laekenois but they are high-energy breeds. Hovawart could work.

Once people have a breed in mind it's very difficult to talk them out of it.

lefty

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious - since the other three Belgian Shepherds have been brought up, why not the Malinois? Appearance wise would be most similar to the GSD, right?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
More intensely bred for work than it's cousins. Difficult to find a reasonable calm one for a pet/family situation. Same as the Dutch Shepherd.

Unless you're used to that level of intensity it could be a problem for everyone. Strong drives need to be shaped and controlled.

lefty

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
havent yet brought any discussion of the subject up. To be fair, they would use the dog mainly as a family/guard dog. therefore I dont think a working line is in order, and that will drive one quickly to the less ethical breeders.

I will look into the smaller kennels that breed for a family dog.

hadnt thought of the hovawart, knew the breed but didnt connect it untill now, thanks.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Other breeds to consider would be the Kuvasz, Briard or the Bouvier. All are large, excellent property and personal protectors (no one will get near you with a Kuvasz by your side) and reasonably healthy. None as are wash-and-wear as the GSD.

Briard is a looker:

briard-0003.jpg

lefty

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More intensely bred for work than it's cousins. Difficult to find a reasonable calm one for a pet/family situation. Same as the Dutch Shepherd.

Unless you're used to that level of intensity it could be a problem for everyone. Strong drives need to be shaped and controlled.

lefty

Wasn't sure how much difference there was in temperament between the breeds, but suspected that might be the answer. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads