Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

lefty's random dog thread.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lefty, Mar 22, 2009.

1. tphd

tphd Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. lefty

lefty Senior member

He's all Boxer. The whites are very controversial right now with some countries according them rights to the show ring. Whites are usually put down at birth.

Do some research on neutering. Early castration isn't recommended any longer as it could lead to health issues. There are a few pages of info in this thread.

Good luck.

lefty

I won't have access to his papers until I neuter, but all I know is that he is a European boxer. If I remember correctly, his sire is on loan from Holland boxers? I know he comes from international champions on both sides but it doesn't matter to me as we picked him up as a pet. I agree that in the pics from my phone he looks like a bulldog, but I will try to get some better pics taken this weekend.

All I know is that we love him!!!!

3. Redcap

Redcap New Member

He's all Boxer. The whites are very controversial right now with some countries according them rights to the show ring. Whites are usually put down at birth.

Do some research on neutering. Early castration isn't recommended any longer as it could lead to health issues. There are a few pages of info in this thread.

Good luck.

lefty

Thanks... I will do that. I heard that it was good to wait until a year??? Here are some more pics taken today, not great but better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one of our wolf/husky just for fun

[​IMG]

This thread is amazing and I enjoyed going through every page of it. What a find!!!

4. lefty

lefty Senior member

A year is good. 18 months better. Never would be ideal.

What's the wolf percentage in that dog?

lefty

5. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Cool video on Etheopian Wolves. They kind of look like Basenjis...
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

6. Redcap

Redcap New Member

A year is good. 18 months better. Never would be ideal.

I will hold off as long as the breeder allows for the sake of the dog. I am in no rush to get the papers.

What's the wolf percentage in that dog?

lefty

Half, but she is VERY small. Last year we came across some transients shooting puppies below the dam. Went there to catch fish but went home with a pup instead. She is coyote sized at best, hehe.

Our other wolf passed away last Summer. She was 1/4 Red Wolf, 1/4 Gray Wolf, and 1/2 Rottweiler. She actually lived to the age of 17 which was one of the biggest blessings in my life. She was a whopping 110 pounds of lovin' and the best dog I have ever had...

[​IMG]

7. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I walked my Tosa Cyrus down into the neighboring city of Seal Beach today. For some peculiar reason, the place was just crawling with Labrador Retrievers. We must have seen about eight. About half of them were spoiling for a fight with Cyrus. So much for "America's Family Dog"! Curious how some breeds get such benign reputations, when they don't always correspond to reality. I have met a fair number of Golden Retrievers that were absolutely fight-crazed. I may have mentioned this before, but an ER nurse I once befriended told me that a very high percentage of the dog-bite cases she saw came from Goldens.

Kind of shows the folly of "breedism."

8. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

How about a picture of Cyrus?

9. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

A bit about inbreeding and the AKC. The dude with the post hole digger interviewed out in the field about half way through writes the blog I found it on.
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

10. nootje

nootje Senior member

happy to report that I might have swayed them toward the hovawart.

11. BP348

BP348 Senior member

I walked my Tosa Cyrus down into the neighboring city of Seal Beach today. For some peculiar reason, the place was just crawling with Labrador Retrievers. We must have seen about eight. About half of them were spoiling for a fight with Cyrus. So much for "America's Family Dog"! Curious how some breeds get such benign reputations, when they don't always correspond to reality. I have met a fair number of Golden Retrievers that were absolutely fight-crazed. I may have mentioned this before, but an ER nurse I once befriended told me that a very high percentage of the dog-bite cases she saw came from Goldens.

Kind of shows the folly of "breedism."

I was always taught that all dogs have teeth so all dogs can bite. But I will admit 99% of the goldens I've been around were your typical goldens. When I was looking to adopt a Golden from the local rescue I did see about 3 that they didn't want to adopt to a home with small children because they wern't good with small kids.

All the labs I've seen that were fighters were all high drive dogs.

12. lefty

lefty Senior member

13. dcg

dcg Senior member

^Only very tangentially related, but there was a cool segment on 60 minutes this past Sunday where they covered techniques for getting up-close video footage of animals in their natural habitats. Much of it centered around disguising cameras as rocks and whatnot so the behavior would not be affected by the presence of humans, and then wading through A LOT of footage to find the good stuff. They got some great up close video of some polar bears and tigers, though.

14. lefty

lefty Senior member

15. dcg

dcg Senior member

Some more footage (I believe this is the full segment): http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7358644n
    Polar bears get the better of spy cams. I stuck a go pro camera on a dog's collar last year for a project. Footage was mostly of other dog's butts. lefty
    I forget the exact number, but they mention in the segment the ridiculous amount of footage they had to go through to get to the useful bits.