lefty's random dog thread.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lefty, Mar 22, 2009.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

Interesting dogs. They showed well but those are pretty small boars.

Timed catch contests are pretty common here though the HSUS calls them "animal fighting" and is lobbying to ban them. They not a canned hunt as the animals are separated quickly and one boar can see a lot of dogs but are they sporting? I'm not sure.

I would have thought that the Japanese would have worked with whatever rough indigenous dog they had. Some of the rare Japanese breeds are cool: Kai Inu, Hokkaido Inu, Kishu Inu.

lefty

2. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

[​IMG]

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

^They grow up so quickly.

Popped by Westminster yesterday and saw the winning dog:

[​IMG]

As much as I dislike this type of show it's nice to see a olde tyme dog win. First time in 135 years.

lefty

4. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

^^^I'd never heard of the breed before reading about it winning best of show.

5. lefty

lefty Senior member

We were discussing them a page back or so. Cool breed. They were at the first Westminster show.

[​IMG]

lefty

6. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Added a new member to the household last week (a rescue Pug mix) who doesn't seem to want to stop getting into the trash can. We've tried the bitter apple spray, have group of cans sitting on the lid that make a crashing sound when they fall to the floor, but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

7. lefty

lefty Senior member

Easy solution? Take your garbage out or put it someplace where your dog can't get at it. You can train this but with a new dog it's a pain in the ass. Remove the source of conflict and you'll both be happier.

lefty

8. Virginia Dandy

Virginia Dandy Senior member

^They grow up so quickly.

Popped by Westminster yesterday and saw the winning dog:

[​IMG]

As much as I dislike this type of show it's nice to see a olde tyme dog win. First time in 135 years.

lefty

My little guy is growing like a weed and not so little anymore - approx 25 lbs at 4 months.

One of the English setters in the breed judging at Westminster yesterday is a half-sib of my guy (same mother). Made the cut but did not win the group. Not bad for a 2.5 year-old, though.

9. .bishop

.bishop Senior member

my dobe got attacked last night by a pit bull off leash. My doberman doesnt have a mean bone in his body, never barks like a real dog, and is mr. friendly. I now know why dobermans aren't to be fucked with.

the dog lunged and bit my dog w/o anything, and Bishop was a little confused when it was coming toward him thinking he wanted to play. Immediately, instead of the puny sissy bark, it was a ferociuos growl and bark along with pining the dog leaving it crying. it didn't lock on but pinned.

owner came and apologized a storm, i got his info and such if anything is to happen. My dog had a little gash under his neck.

I know they don't stich up for dogs, other than constant cleaning, is there anythign i should do, lefty. The dog that bit him is up to date on all vaccines etc. etc.

10. lefty

lefty Senior member

"Little gash" that requires stitches or "little gash" that will heal on it's own?

If that later, clean it often and watch for signs of localized infection: heat, redness, swelling, pus. If any of those appear you may need to see a vet.

If the dog exhibits signs of a systemic infection: weakness, vomitting, fever; you will need a vet.

Chances are he is fine and will shake it off.

lefty

11. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Here is a nice pic of a Stagehound/Wolfhound cross along with a Ridgeback doing what they do. [​IMG] Edit: Come to think of it that looks like it is the same deer/dogs as from pics Lefty posted.

12. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

And since I'm pissing about here is a cool cross I stumbled on. The Bull Arab, a Aussie hog hunting dog.
    [​IMG]

From the site:
    There are lots of questions being asked on the forum about "Bull Arabs", their breeding etc. Are they a standard breed or just an "Aussie Pig Dog" that can basically be, any cross? Mike Hodgens was the guy who bred Bull Arabs initially, he bred the dog pictured below. They were a cross that consisted of English Bull Terrier, Greyhound and English Pointer or Shorthaired Pointer. There are also the breed supporters who believe the Greyhound was initially, Saluki hence the name Arab.

13. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Easy solution? Take your garbage out or put it someplace where your dog can't get at it. You can train this but with a new dog it's a pain in the ass. Remove the source of conflict and you'll both be happier.

lefty

And if I insist on training the dog, any training suggestions?

14. lefty

lefty Senior member

This a pug cross? How large is it? It should be a relatively simple thing to secure the can. When you have a better sense of this dog (and he you) you can train this or it just may stop. Sometimes it's just easier to remove the source of conflict. What's in the trash can and what type of can is it?

You can make the dog terrified of this trash can if you so choose. Junkyard guys would wire a piece of meat to a car battery to ensure their dogs would never eat food from anyone other than them. That may be overkill, but your empty cans on the lid aren't working. What's a level up?

The next method is a continual correction when the dog is thinking of that can. You need a correction collar and your dog needs to be always on lead or a tab in order for you to react quickly.

The third method is to replace the can with something more desirable to the dog. Dog goes toward can and you distract with toy, food, whatever.

lefty

15. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

I doubt the modern day WH can do much, but there are still some good DHs that can hunt.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This may be a lurcher:
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
    lefty

A few years ago, two of my deerhound bitches brought down a good sized whitetail with a clean neck break. Very exciting to see the instinctive prey drive kick-in.