• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Laptop for engineering softwares

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for yet another laptop thread, i need a new laptop that can comfortably run some softwares like autocad, robot, and whatever...But also good for internet, music and movies and the occasional game or two. I prefer wider screens, 15-> 18, dont mind the weight that much. Price range is 1000-2000$.

I do have a desktop which i mainly use for internet and stuff so laptop wont suffer that much from that.

I was looking at Toshiba Qosmios but this smartass friend of mine tells me i7-720 processors whatever that means are crap.

Any suggestions?

Im used to windows, never used a Mac so would be concerned about getting one. plus they give us lots of softwares and im not sure if theyd be compatible, thats why im not considering Macs, but i may be wrong

montyharding

Reaction score
The 720 is capable enough - and besides, for $2K you're not going to score much more.

My Dell M6500's will be turning up shortly hopefully, but with a basic spec starting at well over $2K I doubt you'd be interested.

The new Asus G73, although a gaming laptop, should do well for your intended use. It also benefits from not looking too '12 year old gamer nerd'. Pricewise it's right in the middle of your ballpark.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=2262172&SID=

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Get a lenovo. The W series has nVidia Quadro graphics cards which will be useful for engineering programs and you can get any i7 you want. Build quality will be far superior to the Toshiba or any other consumer level crap. http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...BCE1DD35E116F6

montyharding

Reaction score
It depends on what level he's at. Unless he needs advanced visualisation features for truly professional use, a Geforce will be fine and the overwhelming majority of software will deliver better bang for the buck for the most part. And if it's for truly professional use, his budget wouldn't be at Macbook Pro-equivalent levels.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads