• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fabric spreadsheet, photos

Fabric spreadsheet
Fabric photo set on Flickr

In the future I'll update my website so you'll be able to browse the fabrics on there in a more organized way, but for now I've made the above spreadsheet. Some of the patterns look a little distorted because they've been resized, but just click on the photo to see it full size.
Who makes your shoes Kent? Can you tell me a little about them?
The benchgrade shoes are designed by me and made at a workshop just for my store.

What else would you like to know?

And lastly, swatches are available in a few weeks?
Yes. I'm working out the details.

Kent - non-suit related question: in terms of the collars on your shirts, is it possible to get 1/4" edge stitching as opposed to right on the edge?
Yes, we can do that.

With all this in mind, which RTW jacket size would you recommend me ordering to start off the process? It seems to me like I'm a 39. FYI, I am about 5'9 and a half and 165 pounds, on the slimmer side. I wear a Medium in KW polos and Small at stores like J.Crew and BR. I also plan to start working out, which might add a little bulk to me.
That's odd, because I also wear M in my polos and I wear 36 in my suits. I'm guessing that the H&M and Zara sizes are pretty off; I find that can be the case with some of the European suit sizes towards the smaller end of the scale. The most important measurement is the shoulders. How do the shoulders on the M polos fit for you?

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
on the fabric spreadsheet.

+1 - awesome work, Kent!

breakHARD77

Reaction score
That's odd, because I also wear M in my polos and I wear 36 in my suits. I'm guessing that the H&M and Zara sizes are pretty off; I find that can be the case with some of the European suit sizes towards the smaller end of the scale. The most important measurement is the shoulders. How do the shoulders on the M polos fit for you?

They seem to fit decently enough to me, but I'm not the best when it comes to evaluating these things... Here are some quick pics I snapped. What say you?
http://i42.tinypic.com/2z7r7t5.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/2yvj51j.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/dp9y6u.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/ind1sy.jpg

Last edited:

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
terrific spreadhseet!

I'm eyeing the following for a workhorse blue sportscoat:

GradSchooler

Reaction score

Fabric spreadsheet, photos

Fabric spreadsheet Fabric photo set on Flickr In the future I'll update my website so you'll be able to browse the fabrics on there in a more organized way, but for now I've made the above spreadsheet. Some of the patterns look a little distorted because they've been resized, but just click on the photo to see it full size.
Awesome! Can't wait to order some swatches :)

Last edited:

smilenow

Reaction score
I'm really loving the way the "Benchgrade captoe balmoral" shoes look in the product shots in your store. I was wondering though, are there any pictures of people wearing them? I'd love to see them on someone. I did a quick search here in the forum but unfortunately didn't come up with anything.

Thanks and great work!

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm really loving the way the "Benchgrade captoe balmoral" shoes look in the product shots in your store. I was wondering though, are there any pictures of people wearing them? I'd love to see them on someone. I did a quick search here in the forum but unfortunately didn't come up with anything.
Thanks and great work!

Here's a picture of how they look propped up on a couch!

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those look nice! How is the quality?

I'm not great at discerning quality differences between high-end shoes, the nicest shoes I own are a pair of C&J Connaught. In any case, the lasting is very sleek and I especially like the waist of the shoe, I think it makes me look taller. The leather is thick but not super stiff but it's nowhere near as soft as the CJs. There were a couple minor scuffs, I assume from manufacturing, that disappeared with some cream. The soles are beautiful and flawless as far as my untrained eye can tell. Comparing them with AEs they are definitely a step above. I'm happy with the purchase. For what it's worth, Spoo said he really likes them when I posted them in the trou/sock/shoe thread.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not great at discerning quality differences between high-end shoes, the nicest shoes I own are a pair of C&J Connaught. In any case, the lasting is very sleek and I especially like the waist of the shoe, I think it makes me look taller. The leather is thick but not super stiff but it's nowhere near as soft as the CJs. There were a couple minor scuffs, I assume from manufacturing, that disappeared with some cream. The soles are beautiful and flawless as far as my untrained eye can tell. Comparing them with AEs they are definitely a step above. I'm happy with the purchase. For what it's worth, Spoo said he really likes them when I posted them in the trou/sock/shoe thread.

Great info as I'm familiar with AE and considering the BB Peal version of the C&J Connaught as well. Curious, though, how are they a step above AE? Leather quality? Construction? Style? Also, how did they fit compared with AE's? Did you size down or get the same size?

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great info as I'm familiar with AE and considering the BB Peal version of the C&J Connaught as well. Curious, though, how are they a step above AE? Leather quality? Construction? Style? Also, how did they fit compared with AE's? Did you size down or get the same size?

Between the lasting and the channeled soles I think they're much better than AE. The stitching is all very good and on both pairs of my AEs I've had to police up stray stitching. I wear an 8.5D in AE 5 last and I got a 7 1/2 in the KW and I could easily go down to 7.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads