• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fieldofdreams

Reaction score
I mean....I think the value is $79 for a really nice shirt. With the different cuts and sleeve lengths available, guess the MTM doesn't get the attention

I agree with this. The $79 shirts are great if they fit you off the rack. I haven't found anything comparable for the price.

thromb

Reaction score

Arrival of 3 Kamakura shirts yesterday

mjba

Reaction score
Well, that's a bummer!

I'll have to hurry and place an order. Well, either that, or remember to actually visit one of the Maker's Shirt stores this Christmas when I'm in Japan again.
just saw this and bought another 4. disappointing, but thanks again to JourneyMan for the instructions on how to use the Japanese site.

i'm buying my first (ever) shirts for work and really have a tough time seeing how anybody can compete w these guys at $65AUD (just under $50USD), so i'd suggest everyone get in while they still can.

also v much looking froward to get back to Japan just for the #menswear ha

ChiliPalmer

Reaction score
For those that ordered from the Japanese site, did you get a shipping confirmation? How long was it between when you ordered and when you received your shirts?

Thanks.

jamie411

Reaction score
I received a shipping notification within a day or so, and had the package in about 4 days after that. The whole thing was less than a week, I believe - I was amazed it shipped so fast.

aaronj15

Reaction score
measure at about 15 3/4 - 16 neck and 35" arm...can anyone with similar measurements recommend a good fit for me?

Also, not sure if I'm measuring my neck size correctly, do you guys typically add about an inch onto the reading of the measure?

fieldofdreams

Reaction score

measure at about 15 3/4 - 16 neck and 35" arm...can anyone with similar measurements recommend a good fit for me?

Also, not sure if I'm measuring my neck size correctly, do you guys typically add about an inch onto the reading of the measure?

Put a couple fingers in between the tape and your neck. That should give you your size without having to add.

fieldofdreams

Reaction score

I'm actually going to advise that you watch a video on how to do it. I don't want to be blamed if the measurement isn't right. You could also go to a department store and try on shirts. If a 15 1/2 is slightly loose, then you're a 39. If a 15 1/2 is slightly snug you're a 40. If you fit a 16, then you're a 41. If you are a 35 length then you definitely want a New York fit. Which leaves either the option of slim or classic. The NY slim is not crazy slim. So I would just choose based on preference.

aaronj15

Reaction score
I'm actually going to advise that you watch a video on how to do it. I don't want to be blamed if the measurement isn't right. You could also go to a department store and try on shirts. If a 15 1/2 is slightly loose, then you're a 39. If a 15 1/2 is slightly snug you're a 40. If you fit a 16, then you're a 41. If you are a 35 length then you definitely want a New York fit. Which leaves either the option of slim or classic. The NY slim is not crazy slim. So I would just choose based on preference.
I'm probably going to eventually make a trip to NY to get the right fit. Thanks for the advice

Spex

Reaction score
Just arrived in Japan and was able to try on the two shirts I ordered, send to my parents-in-law's house. Although the measurements for a NY size Linen S are larger than my usual NY Slim 39-90 spread collar shirts, it feels tighter. The sleeves are shorter, as expected, but the body is slimmer. Can anyone tell me if they own any of these linen shirts and if they shrink substantially? I feel as if I need to size up to a M. I have to say that for a linen shirt it looks much for refined than expected...very dressy and not very stubby. The material feels somewhat hard and rough, but of course it has yet to be washed.

fieldofdreams

Reaction score
Just arrived in Japan and was able to try on the two shirts I ordered, send to my parents-in-law's house. Although the measurements for a NY size Linen S are larger than my usual NY Slim 39-90 spread collar shirts, it feels tighter. The sleeves are shorter, as expected, but the body is slimmer. Can anyone tell me if they own any of these linen shirts and if they shrink substantially? I feel as if I need to size up to a M. I have to say that for a linen shirt it looks much for refined than expected...very dressy and not very stubby. The material feels somewhat hard and rough, but of course it has yet to be washed.

I love their linen shirts. I wear a size S in NY slim. Mine have been washed, and I'd say they're comparable to the 39 Toky Slim that I wear. I can't recall what the sizing was like pre-wash. So i can't give you a definitive answer on shrinkage.

EDIT:
Okay, so I just tried both on. The neck actually fits similarly on both shirts. The Tokyo slim 39 is definitely more snug throughout the chest and waist. The shirts have been washed cold and then ironed inside out while still damp. I measured arm pit to arm pit 22" for line and 21" for Tokyo slim.

Last edited:

Spex

Reaction score
Now that I've worn and washed the shirt once I think the fit is pretty good. I was probably expecting more shrinkage. The sleeves are just right, but not as long as the dress shirts I wear, which is fine as I probably won't wear the linen shirt under a jacket, longer sleeves mean a bit of wrinkling in the arms and I will mostly be wearing this with the sleeves rolled up.

One size up (NY M) would probably have been good as well, would allow for additional shrinkage and with slightly longer sleeves. A somewhat looser fit would also be in line with most average linen shirts.

It's good to know that the Tokyo Slim fits in a 39 (I'm assuming you mean 39-87) are tighter in the body. Based on the measurements given on the site they would probably fit decently, however I'm now thinking they might be slimmer than I like. However, I'll see if they have a shirt I can try on at the Tokyo Station and/or Haneda locations when I visit. The selection of Tokyo fit shirts online at least is much greater than the NY fits. I'm hoping the Haneda location has a of stock of NY fits seeing as how they are an international airport.

Last edited:

RuleOfRescue

Reaction score
Just chiming here. My first Kamakura purchase yesterday - two BD Tokyo slim shirts from Mad Ave store. One linen-cotton blend, one white. Great fit OTR; even better than a few MTM I have - and a deal for $79 - no sales tax either! Per the sales assoc if the purchase is <$150 there is no sales tax. I will be hard pressed to purchase from a different shirtmaker.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just chiming here.  My first Kamakura purchase yesterday - two BD Tokyo slim shirts from Mad Ave store. One linen-cotton blend, one white.  Great fit OTR; even better than a few MTM I have - and a deal for $79 - no sales tax either! Per the sales assoc if the purchase is <$150 there is no sales tax.  I will be hard pressed to purchase from a different shirtmaker.  
Hmm. Did they raise the max on no tax clothing. Last I checked it should be no tax on any clothing items under $110, regardless of total purchase amount.

RuleOfRescue

Reaction score
Hmm. Did they raise the max on no tax clothing. Last I checked it should be no tax on any clothing items under $110, regardless of total purchase amount.

You are probably right; I may have misspoken - thanks for pointing that out. Was also surprised that this was a per-item total!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads