• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly to me the Phillip IIs look amazing. I didn’t really focus much on the wrinkles from your photo. As long as they are comfortable on your feet and you can rock them with confidence it’s all good bruv.
Btw does JL take exchanges or store credit? Haha maybe you can bring them in along with your Carminas and make a statement.

Jean-H

Reaction score
Check this out:

Good article. Re creasing,

“For creasing, well this will depend on the quality of the skin as I have seen Box calf hardly crease at all and then some that creased worse than anything else.”

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about acquiring a pair of English made dress shoes. In terms of quality of materials, how does JL wear over time compared to G & G and EG?
I've only owned GG for a short time so I'll compare JL and EG that are 10+ years old. I would say they wear very similarly and it really just comes down to aesthetic and care. Only thing that happened on my JL Chapel's was that the keepers on the straps tore off, but they were promptly fixed for free. Leathers have aged beautifully imo and construction is solid on both.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't afford the Chapels so I was thinking about getting a similar looking pair off of Kent Wang... he calls it a "rakish" look.

Jean-H

Reaction score
Honestly to me the Phillip IIs look amazing. I didn’t really focus much on the wrinkles from your photo. As long as they are comfortable on your feet and you can rock them with confidence it’s all good bruv.
Btw does JL take exchanges or store credit? Haha maybe you can bring them in along with your Carminas and make a statement.
I agree that the last is elegant and the fit is good (The direction of the creases is horizontal). The statement I’m trying to make is that I’m a bit disappointed by their failure to maintain consistent quality of leather among the two shoes.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about acquiring a pair of English made dress shoes. In terms of quality of materials, how does JL wear over time compared to G & G and EG?
In that price range, unless that's a particular iconic style (i.e. Dover) that you are looking for, otherwise I would recommend Foster & Son

Deeky

Reaction score
I honestly don't see anything wrong with your shoes. The way your left feet moves from your right can be very different, which explains the creases. Most people have one feet slightly larger than the other, or slightly longer, and walk with a slightly different gait. This is not unusual.

Deeky

Reaction score
You could also try the criminally underrepresented Alfred Sargent (especially the handgrade range). They are really very good, but the distribution is utterly shambolic. Takes alot of effort to track down a pair.

Jean-H

Reaction score
I honestly don't see anything wrong with your shoes. The way your left feet moves from your right can be very different, which explains the creases. Most people have one feet slightly larger than the other, or slightly longer, and walk with a slightly different gait. This is not unusual.
I totally agree with you regarding the movement of feet which leads to different forms of creases. However, the fineness of the creases is determined by the quality of leather and the area/position the leather pieces cut from, am I correct?

Deeky

Reaction score
I totally agree with you regarding the movement of feet which leads to different forms of creases. However, the fineness of the creases is determined by the quality of leather and the area/position the leather pieces cut from, am I correct?

I'm not an expert, but I would say no. There are experts here in the forum that you might want to contact to ask, but to my knowledge, different types of leather crease differently. Even amongst standard "smooth boxcalf", the last/design of the shoe, coupled with your gait can lead to very different creasing. But ultimately, if you are not satisfied with your shoes one way or another, you should just try to get a refund or never purchase from them again because it will just cause you heartache everytime you look at it, regardless of whatever people might say here

sforum1

Reaction score
I've only owned GG for a short time so I'll compare JL and EG that are 10+ years old. I would say they wear very similarly and it really just comes down to aesthetic and care. Only thing that happened on my JL Chapel's was that the keepers on the straps tore off, but they were promptly fixed for free. Leathers have aged beautifully imo and construction is solid on both.
LOL
The keepers on the straps fell off, yet the construction is solid. LOL. And now we are talking about a $2000 shoe. Well put, well said. This is precisely the reason why JL's prices are moving astronomically high while the quality goes down. They must be reading this kind of reviews.

Because people pay $2000 for these shoes and they want to feel good about it, they cannot be honest even when they are being honest.

Last edited:

sforum1

Reaction score
If I had a penny every time I saw someone complain about their precious JLs and how they are not as durable and well made as the $2000 they paid would suggest, well, I would have a lot of money to buy myself a new pair even at these prices. But what good would it do me if the straps fell off?

Last edited:

sforum1

Reaction score
Quite honestly it bothers me that people will not call it for what it is. JL is at the bottom. Let me say this and someone can say otherwise. If you care about construction and longevity, for example, let's start with stitching. Of the top brands, G&G comes ahead by a far margin. Of the 20+ pairs I have owned, I never saw loose stitching or stitching that was not done properly in some way. EG and JL, on the other hand, all the time. All the time. In my opinion, the stitching is what should separate an expensive pair from one that's in the $200-400 range. G&G does not belong in this category of shoes when you hold them up and examine them carefully. EG to me is a big disappointment in that regard and so is JL. In terms of leather I would put JL at the bottom between the 3. JL I have also seen the outsole where the closed stitching is done, that portion of the leather they pull back to do the stitching to come unglued in no time.

Oh, speaking of stitching, Vass way better than both EG and JL.

Last edited:

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL
The keepers on the straps fell off, yet the construction is solid. LOL

Because people pay $2000 for these shoes, they cannot be honest even when they are honest.
We get it, obviously you are not a fan of Lobb, but you are posting in an "appreciation" thread. When I think about monk strap shoes, a keeper popping off because I pulled at the strap too hard is akin to snapping laces by tying them too hard.

The leather feels and looks just as good as it did 10 years ago and everything else about the shoes is solid. Btw the keeper thing happened in the first year of ownership and hasn't happened since.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads