• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BomTrady

Reaction score
I will respectfully have to disagree with you. There are people who come here to ask for advice and opinions. They have saved up money and are between shoes. They want honest opinions. They are not looking for praise, praise, praise while in the meantime the straps are falling off. They already know that JL, EG and G&G are nice, expensive shoes.

Guys, watch this. There are among us the people for whom money is no object. Literally, $2-3K means absolutely nothing to them. JL, EG etc are nice shoes. If they look good to their eyes and they are the most expensive money can buy and they mean prestige and class, they will just buy them. They don't last long? So much the better because it means it's time for a new pair. There is the people who literally have one and only one criterion when it comes to buying anything: is it the most expensive money can buy?

Always put things into perspective.

I just don't see why you can't praise and criticize at the same time. Did your parents always praise you, no matter what?
Y
Quite honestly it bothers me that people will not call it for what it is. JL is at the bottom. Let me say this and someone can say otherwise. If you care about construction and longevity, for example, let's start with stitching. Of the top brands, G&G comes ahead by a far margin. Of the 20+ pairs I have owned, I never saw loose stitching or stitching that was not done properly in some way. EG and JL, on the other hand, all the time. All the time. In my opinion, the stitching is what should separate an expensive pair from one that's in the $200-400 range. G&G does not belong in this category of shoes when you hold them up and examine them carefully. EG to me is a big disappointment in that regard and so is JL. In terms of leather I would put JL at the bottom between the 3. JL I have also seen the outsole where the closed stitching is done, that portion of the leather they pull back to do the stitching to come unglued in no time.

Oh, speaking of stitching, Vass way better than both EG and JL.
This is called cognitive dissonance run amuck....I'd bet you prefer a Casio to a Patek because a Patek simply is a rip. LOL

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I need some help here. I got these John Lobb Monks in claret misty, have not worn them because of the lockdown, but was planning to wear them tomorrow, so I applied Saphir renovateur to them for a couple minutes and brushed them and this is how they came out... is the finish ruined permanently? or is there something I could do? this is the first time this happens to me with Renovateur.
No. Just apply some cream and wax.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lopez.

every time you post those Lopez I fall more and more in love with them.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I need some help here. I got these John Lobb Monks in claret misty, have not worn them because of the lockdown, but was planning to wear them tomorrow, so I applied Saphir renovateur to them for a couple minutes and brushed them and this is how they came out... is the finish ruined permanently? or is there something I could do? this is the first time this happens to me with Renovateur.

No. Just apply some cream and wax.

ditto. And keep in mind, there’s really no reason to condition or otherwise treat shoe right out of the box. Suede is a different matter.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, just did that and it is looking better. No more Renovateur for me...
Renovateur should be used when the shoes have been waxed and polished multiple times and you want to remove the layers to give a proper cleaning.

BomTrady

Reaction score
Lot of Lobb bashing by @sforum1. Well I have about 20 Lobbs collected over the years, most bought pre-owned from SF members or Ebay. Average cost $500 or less. 2 pairs bought new on sale for under 1K. Very happy with my Lobbs. Most of them are older and I do think the newer ones have gone down in quality. In closing @sforum1 I tried to ignore you but you sound like a real DICK. :nest:
I have plenty more but I'll save them for your inevitable obnoxious reply..............:fence:
View attachment 1411622 View attachment 1411624 View attachment 1411626 View attachment 1411627 View attachment 1411628 View attachment 1411635 View attachment 1411636 View attachment 1411637
View attachment 1411638
Do you own a Patek?
Do you own a Patek?
No, but I wish I owned one. I plan to own one one day. And I don't hate people who do own one. I am happy that they can enjoy a thing of beauty.

sforum1

Reaction score
No, but I wish I owned one. I plan to own one one day. And I don't hate people who do own one. I am happy that they can enjoy a thing of beauty.
Then don't talk about Patek until you actually own one. It sounds like JL is your religion but if you actually bought fewer pairs of them, or if you went with a different brand that does not cost $2.2K/pair, then one day you'll be able to afford a PP. It's worth it, trust me; after all, you have correctly recognized that they are better than Casio and that's a good first step.

Last edited:

BomTrady

Reaction score
Then don't talk about Patek until you actually own one. It sounds like JL is your religion but if you actually bought fewer pairs of them, or if you went with a different brand that does not cost $2.2K/pair, then one day you'll be able to afford a PP. It's worth it, trust me; after all, you have correctly recognized that they are better than Casio and that's a good first step.
The ravings of a lunatic

BomTrady

Reaction score
At least I own a Patek.
I am sure you don't have one. All you have is an acute psychosis coupled with an emotional impairment and delusional disorder that manifest itself in a bizarre preoccupation of what other people can afford. I own multiple high end watches. In fact, I purchase one every year and only one because I also own multiple properties, go on nice family vacations, save for my retirement and my daughter's education. I can tell exactly who you are by your fits of rage at what you clearly don't have. You are hurting inside and I suggest you stay away from social media for a while and gather your humanity and reality optics.

sforum1

Reaction score
I am sure you don't have one. All you have is an acute psychosis coupled with an emotional impairment and delusional disorder that manifest itself in a bizarre preoccupation of what other people can afford. I own multiple high end watches. In fact, I purchase one every year and only one because I also own multiple properties, go on nice family vacations, save for my retirement and my daughter's education. I can tell exactly who you are by your fits of rage at what you clearly don't have. You are hurting inside and I suggest you stay away from social media for a while and gather your humanity and reality optics.
The ravings of a lunatic

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics