• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Lobb sizing/last advice

kik595

Reaction score
Hi all, asking a question but was hoping we might be able to get a comp thread going on John Lobb - which may be simpler than some of the ones for Alden, etc, given their fewer lasts in constant use!

Most of what I've read on Lobb sizing is on average about .5 down from regular UK - so if I assume as below my standard UK is 10.5 (regular width fitting); should i safely assume the proper size in Lobb's 8000 last is most likely to be 10 UK, not 10.5?

I wear as follows:
Allen Edmonds 65: 11.5d US
Alden Trubalance: 11.5d US
Alden Barrie: 11.5d US
Crockett & Jones 325: 10.5 UK
C&J 336: 10.5 UK
Viberg 2030: 10.5 Viberg (UK)

Thanks for any thoughts and or contributions of info, all appreciated! Cheers gents!

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually wear size 10, for example Edward Green and Gaziano & Girling, but for John Lobb I size down to 9 !/2 in the lasts 7000, 8695 and 8896.

Last edited:

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JL 7000: 6.5 E UK
JL 8000: 6.5 E UK (tighter than 7000)
JL 8695: 6.5 E UK
EG 202: 7 E UK
EG 606s 7 E UK
EG 184: 7 E UK
GG KN14: 7 E UK

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
should i safely assume the proper size in Lobb's 8000 last is most likely to be 10 UK, not 10.5?

Not always.
Me used to wear E.G size 7 and Lobb size 6.5,
but now me wear E.G size 7 and Lobb size 7.
Sizing down to a 10 U.K Lobb can depend on various factors.
Sizing correctly is not always simple.
8,000 is a pretty compact last too.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
Just for another perspective. For the US retail price of a Lobb on the 8000 last--a gemmed factory-made shoe--you could bespeak a last at Springline (~350 GBP), ship that last to Rozsnyai in Budapest, and get at least two pairs of handclicked, handlasted, handwelted shoes or even boots--with good insoles--made on that last in good box calf. That is what SF member Borrelli did, after Cliff Roberts raised his prices post-Brexit. And if you ordered only one pair, you could get one or two trial pairs to try out first, and you could 3D print copies of your lasts, so that you could keep the originals and send the copies out for shoemaking.

True, Rozsnyai won't get you uppers like Lobb's. If that's what one's after, of course go with Lobb. But it's good to remember that to get those uppers, there are tradeoffs in fit, make, comfort, service, and price.

kik595

Reaction score
Just for another perspective. For the US retail price of a Lobb on the 8000 last--a gemmed factory-made shoe--you could bespeak a last at Springline (~350 GBP), ship that last to Rozsnyai in Budapest, and get at least two pairs of handclicked, handlasted, handwelted shoes or even boots--with good insoles--made on that last in good box calf. That is what SF member Borrelli did, after Cliff Roberts raised his prices post-Brexit. And if you ordered only one pair, you could get one or two trial pairs to try out first, and you could 3D print copies of your lasts, so that you could keep the originals and send the copies out for shoemaking.

True, Rozsnyai won't get you uppers like Lobb's. If that's what one's after, of course go with Lobb. But it's good to remember that to get those uppers, there are tradeoffs in fit, make, comfort, service, and price.
Just trying to find and help collate sizing advice on Lobbs; everyone's choice of make and RTO, MTO, or bespoke is theirs of course.

ForwardPleats

Reaction score
Hey all,
I am strongly considering purchasing some Adley loafers I noticed on sale online. I believe they are on the 215 last. I was wondering if anyone has experience with that last or how John Lobb generally compares in fit to brands like Loake, Cheaney, and Paul/Alfred Sargent.

My standard US sizes are a 10C for my left and 9.5C for my right, with narrow ankles/heels and a low instep/low volume foot. With medium width Loake and Cheaney, I tend to have to go down half a size down to a 8.5UK (9.5US), which I have to supplement with tongue pads and have also worn 8UK on occasion if the last is elongated to get a better fit around the heel and instep, but it is not ideal for the balls of my feet.

Due to my narrow feet and lower instep, I tend to drown in 8.5UK in F width Paul Sargent shoes. The best fit I have had is the 104E last split-sized to 9UK/8.5UK.

sclemmons

Reaction score
I wear 11E in Lobb 7000 last and Lopez loafer. These two are my favorites. I have a pair of their Chambord chukka boot in the 8000 last and have never been happy with it. I wear a 12D in Alden Barrie or Van last. These also work pretty well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads