• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is so tempting...
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

lhuynh

Reaction score

Jermyn III Monks from Barneys sale. these were too nice to pass up. I like the included lasted shoe trees as well. I was not expecting that. Last time I bought Lobb (1999), trees were not included in most models.

Love this shoe. I tried them on, and my high instep created a weird bubble with the monkstrap. Bummer.

JermynStreet

Reaction score
Well, not bespoke, but had to snap a shot of my City IIs at the French Laundry for my mother's birthday.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here are pictures showing Jermyn II and Jermyn III side by side:

Jermyn II

Jermyn III

Leather Soul has this to say:

Our latest John Lobb offering is the Jermyn III. We have been waiting patiently for this model since the Jermyn II was discontinued.

An updated buckle is the major change from the Jermyn II. The 7000 last works perfectly with this Prestige line model, keeping the shape classic and elegant.

But it is more than a different buckle, there are also changes to the design: on the Jermyn III, the strap takes off closer to the centre of the foot and is more curved than on the Jermyn II, the buckle is further away from the top-line. Also the last has changed from softly chiselled to round. Maybe that old shoe-nut jcusey is right and the Jermyn II did have some structurally problems which JL ironed out with the design of Jermyn III.

It is well-known that Jermyn II is the most sublime shoe in existence, aesthetically speaking. The problem with it is that it's not the most structurally sound. The upper has a tendency to tear where the strap meets the vamp. That structural weakness is probably a significant part of the reason that JL Paris came out with the Vale. Unfortunately (for me) I think that the design works better on a smart round-toe last like the 7000 than it does on a square-toe last like the 8000.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...eded-re-Dressy-Monk-Shoes&p=570957#post570957

Now the $100k question: What is Jermyn I like?

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks bengal . . . . from what i was able to find the buckle seemed to be the major change. the instep 'strap' was throwing me off
frankly, i think they got it right the first time or maybe ii in this case

if i can locate one of these, the shoe fetish should be done for life or at least a good long while - whichever comes first

Here are pictures showing Jermyn II and Jermyn III side by side:

Jermyn II

Jermyn III

on the Jermyn III, the strap takes off closer to the centre of the foot and is more curved than on the Jermyn II, the buckle is further away from the top-line.
Also the last has changed from softly chiselled to round.
Now the $100k question: What is Jermyn I like?

Last edited:

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Quote:
Of all the buckle shoes out there - I do find John Lobb have the most impressive and diverse range...

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Green Becketts

Still undecided whether I want to keep or not though, love green but shoes seem a bit too plain to me

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads