• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JM Weston appreciation thread

Louis_HK

Reaction score
Those look really nice. Have been debating them as an alternative to the Alden Unlined Snuff Suede LHS.
I had a pair of 6243F before, wasn't too keen on the fitting nor the quality. I got them when they were relatively inexpensive. They were last pair from Leffot for only US$340. That was nearly 10 years ago, only worn them not more than 10 times and just sold them last month for US200. Now they are sold for US$663, don't think they are justified for that high price, though 180 are asking nearly a thousand non sale these days. Like I said , these are on special price from Mr porter for Lunar New Year about US$530 with free shipping and free return, not particularly cheap compared to what I ordered from Galeries Lafayette. It would be nice if you are going to Paris/Europe and get them from there and have a vat deducted.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couldn’t resist the temptation of 15% discount, just in this morning, this time the tips are perfect. View attachment 1882782

I picked up the same (although no Lunar New Year promo here in the States). I'm presently debating how much I should expect them to stretch, as I got then a half size up from my green calf pair. Definitely more comfortable, but I've got mild heel slip. I imagine that will change as they break in, but not if they also stretch.

The alternative would be to go back to a 10D and expect them to stretch. So far my 10D green calfs are borderline for my bigger foot.

Any thoughts based on experience with J Weston suede?

Louis_HK

Reaction score
I picked up the same (although no Lunar New Year promo here in the States). I'm presently debating how much I should expect them to stretch, as I got then a half size up from my green calf pair. Definitely more comfortable, but I've got mild heel slip. I imagine that will change as they break in, but not if they also stretch.

The alternative would be to go back to a 10D and expect them to stretch. So far my 10D green calfs are borderline for my bigger foot.

For some unknown reason, Mr Porter US pricing is really weird these days. These pair of tan suede and the green boxcalf pricing was no difference from others 180 in J.M. Weston website, but Mr Porter are selling them $300 dollars cheaper than Nordstrom? Not to mention the earlier and deeper discount this year on 180.
The suede will definitely stretch more than boxcalf, also this color of suede seems different from my pair of dark brown suede, the tan seems to be softer while the dark brown's rigidity were quite similar to smooth leather. Why don't you order the 10D and try them on to see the difference while it's still available?

Louis_HK

Reaction score
Anybody noticed J.M. Weston no longer provide shoe bags with purchase?
Since last time Hunter green 180 from Mr Porter, raised the question to
Mr Porter and took 3 days to find out shoe bags were not included anymore.
Even though I got a whole pile of shoe bags but it's always nice to see the
pale blue/black/dark blue shoe bag popping out as soon as the shoe box was opened. :cool:

MrCat

Reaction score

From experience and conversations with Weston employees, the suede will stretch more readily and quickly than the calf. but certain calf colors, ie the paler colors, will stretch more easily as well due to bleaching and coloring.

The thing about Westons and 180s in particular is that every pair in the same size fits slightly differently. it can be especially nice to visit a store and try on multiple pairs in the same size to pick the pair that best suits you. naturally, this is not entirely practical if you don't live close to a store, but it's enough to dissuade me from buying them remotely.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you both.

I think I landed on them not being right for me in either size. It is likely I am a 10.5 C Weston size, not accounting for the variance within the same size noted above.

When comparing the 10.5 D against my Alden LHS' (in a 12 C), I find they are near-same in length but feel the Aldens are a better combination of comfort and aesthetics for me, as I have low-volume feet and like a close fit but also require length.

Overall I am happy with my smaller, 10 D, calf pair, ever if they where a little shorter than I prefer.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FWIW, the Paris store did tell me that at least for the caviar leather it does stretch more. Subsequently, I was suggested to go with C width when the size 7/ D fit but with heel slip. On the other hand, I had another store rep inform the shoe required breaking implying the heal slip would go away (the rep advised not to go down a size although I am guessing they did not take accountant for shoe width). From what I can recall when having the pair in hand, the pebbled dark brown pair of 180s did feel supple. So, I'd imagine the 7/ C would stretch in the width enough to accommodate. Not sure if it was mentioned but the socks I wear primarily are OTC and thin wool or cotton. For the size 7/ D I had to put on a pair of Uniqlo cotton blend socks help get a better sense of fit, which I ultimately decided the size is too big. (I'm not buying in that after a break in period the heel slip will go away.)

Also, I did consider holding the pair in size 7/ D and sticking on tongue pads. It's worked for me before but the other shoe was also a pair of oxfords, not loafers. Asking JM Weston directly I was told to get the right size without "altering" the shoe. DWW said as much as well.

Louis_HK

Reaction score
FWIW, the Paris store did tell me that at least for the caviar leather it does stretch more. Subsequently, I was suggested to go with C width when the size 7/ D fit but with heel slip. On the other hand, I had another store rep inform the shoe required breaking implying the heal slip would go away (the rep advised not to go down a size although I am guessing they did not take accountant for shoe width). From what I can recall when having the pair in hand, the pebbled dark brown pair of 180s did feel supple. So, I'd imagine the 7/ C would stretch in the width enough to accommodate. Not sure if it was mentioned but the socks I wear primarily are OTC and thin wool or cotton. For the size 7/ D I had to put on a pair of Uniqlo cotton blend socks help get a better sense of fit, which I ultimately decided the size is too big. (I'm not buying in that after a break in period the heel slip will go away.)

Also, I did consider holding the pair in size 7/ D and sticking on tongue pads. It's worked for me before but the other shoe was also a pair of oxfords, not loafers. Asking JM Weston directly I was told to get the right size without "altering" the shoe. DWW said as much as well.
I find a little heel slip is acceptable to me, I can't stand the breaking in process.
Trying them on different time of the day also contributes to different feeling.
Also, if you order online, there are chances you will find inconsistency even when they
are the same width and size, I got several pairs and they all fit differently at first
until they mould to your feet. Most of the time I would wear invisible socks and never
thick socks fearing they might stretch the shoes more and causing more heel slip.

Louis_HK

Reaction score
New arrival from 24S.com, can’t even find in Weston’s own website, and there was no mention anywhere before
0F8E8F98-B72A-4FC7-B591-FF1750EE8B6B.jpeg

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alas, the sizing challenge continues. To my disappointment the third pair of 180 loafers still do not fit perfectly. And I'm torn.

First pair: 7/ D
Second pair: 7E
Third pair: 7/ C

First pair, all around too big and the heel slip was much more noticeable. I really do not know how the shoe would even stretch MORE if they are large-to-size to begin with. I'll give it the benefit of doubt, if they do stretch more with wear I do not think they'd fit better unless the insole molds enough to give way where my foot's heel hugs the shoe heel's collar and counter more. Doesn't make sense to me that it would happen.

Second pair. The shoe was just too short in length and my instep was stuffed. No amount of width forgiveness would've helped here.

Third pair, it was suppose to be perfect. Going down in width, the instep feels tight. I think after a day my foot may be sore. Here is where I think breaking in would allow the shoe to expand enough to mold to my foot. (I was also informed this particular leather stretches more than other offerings.) About the heel, still some slip but not as much. Still heel slip nevertheless. Here, too, is where I think breaking in the shoe may allow for heel of the shoe to mold to my foot.

I found this online that provided basis around my thinking, https://theshoesnobblog.com/heel-slip-what-it-means/. Although it all still seems very anecdotal..

What a conundrum! I read here that heel slip is normal. But is it? And will it go away over time as the shoe is well worn per se? I either take the chance and break in the shoe. If all else fails I am confident tongue pads will work wonders for the heel slip (from personal experience). But then I'm not sure how I feel "altering" the shoe. Another way forward is coming to terms the last does not fit my foot (darn my narrow heels).

I thought I took some pics. Sorry, no. These black caviar leather loafers are my ideal pair me thinks, "the one shoe". Pebble leather provides character to otherwise a flat leather in plain black IMO. I like the split toe, too. The rubber sole makes this ideal for F/W season as well.

Ya'll think I'm right here about the width stretching and being accommodative btw?

1141GFR1801TF_900x900_crop_center.png

1141GFR1801TP_900x900_crop_center.png

Louis_HK

Reaction score
Alas, the sizing challenge continues. To my disappointment the third pair of 180 loafers still do not fit perfectly. And I'm torn.

First pair: 7/ D
Second pair: 7E
Third pair: 7/ C

First pair, all around too big and the heel slip was much more noticeable. I really do not know how the shoe would even stretch MORE if they are large-to-size to begin with. I'll give it the benefit of doubt, if they do stretch more with wear I do not think they'd fit better unless the insole molds enough to give way where my foot's heel hugs the shoe heel's collar and counter more. Doesn't make sense to me that it would happen.

Second pair. The shoe was just too short in length and my instep was stuffed. No amount of width forgiveness would've helped here.

Third pair, it was suppose to be perfect. Going down in width, the instep feels tight. I think after a day my foot may be sore. Here is where I think breaking in would allow the shoe to expand enough to mold to my foot. (I was also informed this particular leather stretches more than other offerings.) About the heel, still some slip but not as much. Still heel slip nevertheless. Here, too, is where I think breaking in the shoe may allow for heel of the shoe to mold to my foot.

I found this online that provided basis around my thinking, https://theshoesnobblog.com/heel-slip-what-it-means/. Although it all still seems very anecdotal..

What a conundrum! I read here that heel slip is normal. But is it? And will it go away over time as the shoe is well worn per se? I either take the chance and break in the shoe. If all else fails I am confident tongue pads will work wonders for the heel slip (from personal experience). But then I'm not sure how I feel "altering" the shoe. Another way forward is coming to terms the last does not fit my foot (darn my narrow heels).

I thought I took some pics. Sorry, no. These black caviar leather loafers are my ideal pair me thinks, "the one shoe". Pebble leather provides character to otherwise a flat leather in plain black IMO. I like the split toe, too. The rubber sole makes this ideal for F/W season as well.

Ya'll think I'm right here about the width stretching and being accommodative btw?

View attachment 1894567

View attachment 1894569
Think the heel slip is due to Weston’s use of smooth leather inside the heel area. I got an old pair of tassel loafers from Weston, the heel was in rough leather, and there is no heel slip occurred.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Louis_HK Thanks!

at this juncture I'm leaning towards keeping. I just placed an order for some tongue pads but will not use them unless necessary. I think it's time to beat them up and see how things fair along the way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads