• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JM Weston appreciation thread

shirtandty

Reaction score
I can understand now why people like it and personally I think it looks way better in brown with the light colored sole, but still not for me. haha. Thanks for sharing.
The one thing I really don't get about this shoe though is why they stamped JM Weston into the upper. I really don't like labels, especially on shoes like this.
Yeah weather/season permitting they can be a great shoe. IMO the deck derby is much more neat than that new "oxford" one lol.

In this IG post people feel the same way about the stamped upper. But as mentioned you can special order without

AunToni

Reaction score
Yeah weather/season permitting they can be a great shoe. IMO the deck derby is much more neat than that new "oxford" one lol.

In this IG post people feel the same way about the stamped upper. But as mentioned you can special order without

And how much does that special order cost?

bullethead

Reaction score
Do you have a pic of you wearing those with pants? haha. I know that sounds weird, but what I mean is that I am curious to see how someone wears the deck derby.
I don’t at the moment- my fall/winter is packed away. In the summer, I wear Quoddy mocs quite a bit for every day type things. The reason I like the deck derby is the heavy lug sole. It gives quite a bit of ‘heft’ to compliment layered cold weather ensembles

gte872h

Reaction score
Just different strokes for folks. Weston makes sleek models and also chunkier models. Both ends of the spectrum for different wordrobes. No big deal.

AunToni

Reaction score
Just different strokes for folks. Weston makes sleek models and also chunkier models. Both ends of the spectrum for different wordrobes. No big deal.
Sure, but there are just genuinely bad shoe designs and I think most can agree that this is just bad (see attached link) https://www.jmweston.com/en/richelieu-bateau-escoublac-cuir-veau-lisse-souple-noir

That being said, I personally am not a big fan of "chunkier" models, but I appreciate them and the design. I personally don't like how the 180 looks on me, but I think it's a nice shoe, same for the golf, etc.

yunBW

Reaction score
I noticed that on Mr.P they are offering quite a few different models in the US market. In the China (where I live) website for MrP, they are still only offering the 180s and le moc' and I think some sneakers.
24s is another global retailer that carries JMW shoes unfortunately only D width like MrP. They carry the Chelsea, brogue, chukka and reimi brogues (wholecut), 180, le moc for US site maybe it will be the same for China website if they ship there

AunToni

Reaction score
24s is another global retailer that carries JMW shoes unfortunately only D width like MrP. They carry the Chelsea, brogue, chukka and reimi brogues (wholecut), 180, le moc for US site maybe it will be the same for China website if they ship there
Thanks, but I can only wear E in Weston's. D's don't fit.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In brown, the deck derby doesn't seem nearly as bad. It suits a more casual shoe and seems lighter, less cheap. Nevertheless, it strikes me as personally an odd choice to expend that much money on such an exceptionally casual shoe.

The Sperry boat shoe can be had for as little as 50 dollars and it is effectively the same design in most respects.

The stamping also looks like a Rockport or other entry-level men's dress shoe. Rockport does stamping on their tongues or near the side of the vamp on a lot of models.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but I can only wear E in Weston's. D's don't fit.

The reason I am interested in Weston is their willingness to make great shoes for the gentleman with wide feet. Hugo Jacomet of Sartorial talks was the one who turned me on to the brand, when he replied to my YT message to ask him what shoe makers make wide fitted men's shoes in Europe.

Allen Edmonds, Aldens, and other American shoes are very easy to find in E and EEE widths, but it is a bastard trying to find European and British shoes that are wide. Usually only a fraction of their models have it, but JM Weston has a substantial amount.

AunToni

Reaction score
The reason I am interested in Weston is their willingness to make great shoes for the gentleman with wide feet. Hugo Jacomet of Sartorial talks was the one who turned me on to the brand, when he replied to my YT message to ask him what shoe makers make wide fitted men's shoes in Europe.

Allen Edmonds, Aldens, and other American shoes are very easy to find in E and EEE widths, but it is a bastard trying to find European and British shoes that are wide. Usually only a fraction of their models have it, but JM Weston has a substantial amount.
Indeed. Actually, JMW is the only RTW brand I've come across that not only has wider sizers available in nearly all their models, but, at least the two stores I've been to, they actually carry the wider sizes in the store.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed. Actually, JMW is the only RTW brand I've come across that not only has wider sizers available in nearly all their models, but, at least the two stores I've been to, they actually carry the wider sizes in the store.

Which is why I am crushed to find that they closed their NY store. I was hoping it was only a temporary quarantine closure, but alas, JM Weston has left America behind.

Wrenkin

Reaction score

Church's is pretty good about offering both F and G widths. It's sometimes difficult to tell which is stocked, but I find that many websites actually default to G.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Church's is pretty good about offering both F and G widths. It's sometimes difficult to tell which is stocked, but I find that many websites actually default to G.

That's really good. I will have to try them out as well, then.

gte872h

Reaction score
Sure, but there are just genuinely bad shoe designs and I think most can agree that this is just bad (see attached link) https://www.jmweston.com/en/richelieu-bateau-escoublac-cuir-veau-lisse-souple-noir

That being said, I personally am not a big fan of "chunkier" models, but I appreciate them and the design. I personally don't like how the 180 looks on me, but I think it's a nice shoe, same for the golf, etc.

I prefer leather soles on my Weston’s outside of the Ridgeway sole on the 641 Golf. I love the Ridgeway on the 641. I think the standard 4x4 boat shoe with the lug sole is fine but not for me. I’ve personally never worn boat or deck shoes.

I don’t think all of Olivier Saillard’s designs are all misses. I liked the designs of the Miles collection outside of the use of rubber soles on the models. I wanted to purchase the light brown triple sole 180 but the NYC store didn’t carry any of the triple sole 180s in their store. I purchased the standard single leather sole 180 instead.

I liked how they worked through the wearability of the triple sole 180 in advance. Since the uppers of the 180 doesn’t have the support like the Chasse or the triple sole wingtip models they lightened up some of the ball region to make it more wearable. See pic below.
6A27DE55-9202-4087-891C-E51212B2980C.jpeg

I really liked this Norwegian construction 180 but I just know it would be extremely expensive and overpriced so I didn’t even try to pursue it.
55A69E15-22E6-4126-84BE-F806AE319E10.jpeg

After my black 677 Chasse purchase I inquired about a special order 677 in Chestnut brown. I wanted the chestnut brown Chasse to have antique brown edges instead of the standard black edges. I was told the surcharge would be 50% on top of the total price. I commissioned a bespoke shoemaker to make the shoe for me instead. No point in paying more for RTW than I would for bespoke.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads