• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jil Sander lace-ups by...?

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Hi, I joined the forum several months ago but never had good reason to post until now.

In the thread that details which shoe makers create shoes for different companies someone had listed that Churchs now makes shoes for Jil Sander. On this information, I purchased these shoes:

http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/JIL+SA...873N/areaid/36

I got the shoes today, they are made in Italy not England. They are calf and quite comfortable, if a little too pointy. Does anyone know who might have made them? Thank you!

kali77

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about these shoes? Are they goodyear welted? Are they really made by Lattanzi? Thanks.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not Lattanzi. Having a couple similar pairs of Jil Sanders, those are probable blake-stitched. You could get better made shoes for the price, but they would be much more conservative. If you like them, keep them.

kali77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Not Lattanzi. Having a couple similar pairs of Jil Sanders, those are probable blake-stitched. You could get better made shoes for the price, but they would be much more conservative. If you like them, keep them.

Exactly the answer I was looking for. I think I will pass. Thanks.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
well, I liked the first reply most but somehow I knew it wasn't too likely. They are indeed blake -stitched. There are also five nails driven into the sole of the toe. Incredibly long as well, 12.5 inches for a US 10 shoe. Are there any other ideas as to who might have made them? I know Churchs is not thought of too highly around here but I was disappointed that these shoes weren't made in England.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Lattanzi's were a one time deal/VERY limited production in the late 1990's. Yes, PLEASE be aware that if you buy a pair of Jil Sander shoes, the chances of them being Lattanzi's are VERY slim. Most of the shoes marked "Jil Sander" were produced after Prada purchased them in Prada's facilities. In fact, much of the reason why Jil Sander herself was excited about joining Prada group was because of the promise by Prada to help build the accessories branch of the brand.

The quality of these Prada produced shoes, while slightly better than Prada, nevertheless isn't so great. The Lattanzi-produced Sander's are wonderful (sometimes oddly designed, but amazing quality), but they were $2000+ while most Sander's are $350-500. Plus, they will have hand-written labels on the inside vs. the regular Prada produced models which simply have the "JILSANDER" logo stamped inside.

The Church's deal is CURRENT, only from the most recent season after Raf Simons took over the design from Jil herself. So, if you purchase a pair of shoes in the boutique NOW, it is possible that they will be made in England. But, Yoox is always a year behind, so they're selling shoes produced just after Jil quit and just before Raf took over, when a Prada Group design team took over for the interim.

Chris Italia... be careful throwing the "Lattanzi" badge around, especially with Sander. Of the probably 50,000 pairs of Jil Sander shoes produced between 1998-2006, probably less than 1% of those are Lattanzi. And, Lattanzi hasn't produced a Sander shoe since at least 1999 or 2000. When Prada bought Sander, all those expensive collaborations and deals went out the window at the behest of Bertelli, the Prada CEO (this is much of the reason Jil herself quit the first time in 1999).

Kali77 is correct; that picture is of a Lattanzi Sander. I've been lucky to score a few pair on the new over the past few years; they're really odd but spectacular shoes.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These shoes look like the ones my mailman wears whenever he's working the route. I shall ask him some time how he enjoys his " Lattanzis "
laugh.gif

BTW, the seller doesn't seem to be moving much product, eh ? Those EGs have been sitting there since Gawd knows when.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
These shoes look like the ones my mailman wears whenever he's working the route. I shall ask him some time how he enjoys his " Lattanzis "
laugh.gif

BTW, the seller doesn't seem to be moving much product, eh ? Those EGs have been sitting there since Gawd knows when.

Yeah, his prices are awfully high. I've been able to score a few pairs of the Sander Lattanzi's for around $200. I've seen them go on ebay for anything from $40 up to about $250 or thereabouts, but never anything approaching what he wants for them. Brand new in box, perhaps I'd pay up to $275 or so MAYBE... but $600 or whatever he's asking is dreaming. They're nearly 8 years old, after all. And, in my experience, though the quality is amazing, they're quite difficult shoes to wear. The styling is a little odd, for the most part (rather large and clunky). To certain occasions, they're great, but they're just not practical to wear all that often. Hence why I think he'll be hard pressed to find somebody to pay that much for them (also hence why they didn't sell all that well back in 1999 at $2000+).

gusgusterson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Plus, they will have hand-written labels on the inside vs. the regular Prada produced models which simply have the "JILSANDER" logo stamped inside.

Aha! You just solved a mystery for me - I was wondering where the hand-written labels came from, thank you!

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, very easy to tell - handwritten JIL SANDER are Lattanzi. The stamped insoles are not.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
provided that I do keep them, what type of shoe trees should I get and where? Would the standard cedar trees from Nordstrom do?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads