• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These are hand lasted and hand welted. The style and finish is very close to bespoke, and to me are above Anthony Cleverly, which is my top RTW brand. Price is Yen 240,000 and avaliable online at The Sabot. Will try them on next week, and may pull the trigger...

AC is still GW right? For me at least at that price range bugs me a bit...

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed AC is GW, and made in Northampton. YF RTW is made of the same leather on offer for bespoke, HW and seems made by aspiring artisans - the number of hours dedicated to each pair is significantly longer than any other RTW. Here are some close-ups of details. I wore these yesterday for a full day, and can confirm the half size down from my GG is fair - the profile is very much YF -sleek, fine curves in vamp and toe, good arch contour and as close you will get to a bespoke in a RTW.

5656ED78-C90B-4BFC-A2D6-68E80EA44787.jpeg

C1AC216B-9124-41E6-AF73-98302AD8CE31.jpeg

90D0784C-8565-41C6-B47E-A94FBC84BB3D.jpeg

14BCA70D-ADCE-45D4-8926-5471F2C7EB21.jpeg

65328000-2BBF-455B-A024-D2FA611ACC8D.jpeg

NycLondon

Reaction score
Does any aficionado here know if Imai Hiroki is still producing? His web page is for sale. But other places in Japan suggest he is going strong. I am in Japan next March.

Reaction score
Does anyone know if FUKUDA's shoes are totally handmade from start to finish or are they bench made bespoke? Does anyone know shoemakers who offer full bespoke? Thanks

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are your definitions of "full bespoke", "bench made bespoke", and "totally handmade"?

Fukuda's system of achieving the desired fit is based on modifications of a base last. He generally fits once, the fitting shoes are handwelted but unfinished and cut open after the fitting.

The uppers are closed with a sewing machine (as almost all other makers do as well) and not hand stitched. All shoes are hand lasted, handwelted and apart from his RTW range, all have hand stitched outsoles.

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
None that I know of in Japan.

Though things like apron stitching and round closing of a split toe seam on split toe derbies, can be done by hand by numerous Japanese makers.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Consider...most high end makers around the world sew at about 15 stitches per inch with a sewing machine. And the stitches are small, well formed, and well layed. It takes about 30 seconds to sew the topline on a shoe, for instance, with a sewing machine.

Hand sewing would have to duplicate, or better, the stitch frequency as well as the finesse of the sewing machine, to be worth doing.

For instance, to hand sew the topline at 18spi (and 30 spi would be closer to Traditional standards) would probably take roughly six hours (I'm speculating and assuming someone who is very practiced and very skilled) and would require a control and finesse that few today can consistently achieve.

And leather. And tools. And techniques...that are near-as-nevermind lost.

Last edited:
Reaction score
What are your definitions of "full bespoke", "bench made bespoke", and "totally handmade"?

Fukuda's system of achieving the desired fit is based on modifications of a base last. He generally fits once, the fitting shoes are handwelted but unfinished and cut open after the fitting.

The uppers are closed with a sewing machine (as almost all other makers do as well) and not hand stitched. All shoes are hand lasted, handwelted and apart from his RTW range, all have hand stitched outsoles.

I see. I'm not against someone using a tool to make things perfect as can be. I was curious as to how much he uses them. I assume this is true for all the Japanese shoemakers then to varying degrees.

...I've read a lot of the thread, although it's very large...

Anyone have any particular favorites besides Fukuda? I contacted him and his waitlist is 2 years for bespoke. I can wait but I'm just curious.

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see. I'm not against someone using a tool to make things perfect as can be. I was curious as to how much he uses them. I assume this is true for all the Japanese shoemakers then to varying degrees.

...I've read a lot of the thread, although it's very large...

Anyone have any particular favorites besides Fukuda? I contacted him and his waitlist is 2 years for bespoke. I can wait but I'm just curious.
Fukuda has rtw, mtm and full bespoke.

I use Marquess, and like working with him.

duncanbootmaker

Reaction score
It takes about 30 seconds to sew the topline on a shoe, for instance, with a sewing machine.
... to hand sew the topline at 18spi (and 30 spi would be closer to Traditional standards) would probably take roughly six hours.

Yeah, 4 - 6 hours sounds about right DW :) It's a special kind of madness. Some of the hand out-soling done in Japan is very impressive. They have the potential to be stunning hand closers, if the right clientele were prepared to pay for it (which they should). And the right leather? Veg. kangaroo :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads