• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, 4 - 6 hours sounds about right DW :) It's a special kind of madness. Some of the hand out-soling done in Japan is very impressive. They have the potential to be stunning hand closers, if the right clientele were prepared to pay for it (which they should). And the right leather? Veg. kangaroo :)

Duncan,

I apologize--I wanted to "mention" you and your hand work but I couldn't remember your user name here (so simple now that i see it but...I'm old) and after spending an hour or so riffling through likely threads looking for your previous posts, I gave up and just deleted the sentence. But if it is any consolation I was thinking about you when I was writing that.

duncanbootmaker

Reaction score
Don't 'sweat it', DW. I'm, hopefully, not too stuck up to think I should be mentioned in reference to anything about hand sewing :) And this is, after all, a thread about Japanese Bespoke. I just piped up to let you know that your guesstimate of the time to hand sew a top line was very good. As I said, I'm very impressed with the hand welt sewing of some of these chaps, and I have a lot to live up to in this respect. Far fewer hours are spent sewing welts than in closing the uppers, so therefore less practice, *and* it's more difficult.
Cheers
P.S. ...thanks for the vote of confidence :)

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@duncanbootmaker,

Well, you're the only one I know who regularly does hand sewing on the upper at anything close to Traditional frequency and quality.

FWIW, while I too admire the welt stitching of these makers, I personally don't think even 18 spi is anywhere near as difficult as upper work at 30. Or even 25.

IMO...

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

jrb666

Reaction score
Fukuda RTW are 240,000¥.

MTO 280,000¥.

Bespoke - I didn't dare ask.

geeboo

Reaction score
DWFII - I would guess piercing thr a thicker & harder leather would be more manageable than a thinner piece, why do you say the reverse is true ?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
DWFII - I would guess piercing thr a thicker & harder leather would be more manageable than a thinner piece, why do you say the reverse is true ?

This puzzles me...I don't think I did say that. Just the opposite.

duncanbootmaker

Reaction score
I definitely find hand sewing uppers (a couple of mm of Kangaroo) is easier than outsoles (5 or 6mm of welt and compressed sole leather), though I don't sew at those higher frequencies (uppers 14 - 20spi, soles around 12spi). Of course, hand sewing through a 4 layer stacked leather heel is the hardest by far :D .Hopefully, as time goes on, my stitch count will increase :)
I *really* would like to see some of the top Japanese guys take up hand rolling threads and hand sewing uppers.

dawei94

Reaction score
Black captoe oxfords by Shoji Kawaguchi at Marquess. First visited him in October of 2016, then again in late June of 2017 for the fitting after he mailed me the fitting shoes. He mailed these out to me right before Christmas. My feet are very wide and flat, so I have lots of issues finding RTW or even St Crispin's personal last that fit me well and don't look like a blob. These look great to me and the fit seems great so far (only had a chance to try them on briefly, no real wear yet). Overall, extremely satisfied, and look forward to future commissions. With shipping, these were 353k yen, and I think some portion of that is attributable to a one-time last fee.

IMG_4282.jpg

IMG_4283.jpg

IMG_4284.jpg

IMG_4285.jpg

IMG_4286.jpg

IMG_4287.jpg

IMG_4288.jpg

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black captoe oxfords by Shoji Kawaguchi at Marquess. First visited him in October of 2016, then again in late June of 2017 for the fitting after he mailed me the fitting shoes. He mailed these out to me right before Christmas. My feet are very wide and flat, so I have lots of issues finding RTW or even St Crispin's personal last that fit me well and don't look like a blob. These look great to me and the fit seems great so far (only had a chance to try them on briefly, no real wear yet). Overall, extremely satisfied, and look forward to future commissions. With shipping, these were 353k yen, and I think some portion of that is attributable to a one-time last fee.

View attachment 903948

View attachment 903949

View attachment 903950

View attachment 903951

View attachment 903952

View attachment 903953

View attachment 903954
Very nice!

Lovely and minimalistic pattern

Kashiwa

Reaction score
I'm wondering if there are any further thoughts, opinions, reviews on the Trading Post originals made by Central Shoes?

They were discussed on this thread a few years back but I didn't see anything recent. I live in Tokyo and find it very difficult to find shoes in my size but Trading Post does offer their shoes in an 11, which is basically a US 12.

Any owners out there?

dawei94

Reaction score
Very nice!

Lovely and minimalistic pattern

Thanks! I wanted to start with something that I could wear in a variety of settings, particularly for work. My first St. Crispin's personal last had almost the exact same pattern as well (black adelaide captoe oxford, but the heel counter didn't go as far forward). I also have a burgundy quarter brogue from YF and a dark brown double monk from Spigola coming in as well, so comparison pics will be coming when those arrive.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 903948

View attachment 903949

View attachment 903950

View attachment 903951

View attachment 903952

View attachment 903953

View attachment 903954

Awesome. You showed great restraint and it paid off. A perfect rendition of a shoe that must be in every man's wardrobe.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received my fourth bespoke pair from Yohei Fukuda. An adelaide model he has made for previous bespoke customers which I really loved, and managed to find the perfect brown leather for it, IMO. Fit is really good, and think they look amazing. A bunch of pics (more can be found on my blog):

DSC09127.jpg

DSC09151.jpg

DSC09158.jpg

DSC09004.jpg

DSC08941.jpg

DSC08986.jpg

DSC08971.jpg

DSC08958.jpg

DSC09066.jpg

DSC09104.jpg

DSC09080.jpg

DSC09007.jpg

DSC09097.jpg

DSC09187.jpg

DSC09206.jpg

DSC09097.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads