1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Japanese Shoes: Bespoke & RTW Super Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nutcracker, Apr 4, 2013.

1. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Duncan,

I apologize--I wanted to "mention" you and your hand work but I couldn't remember your user name here (so simple now that i see it but...I'm old) and after spending an hour or so riffling through likely threads looking for your previous posts, I gave up and just deleted the sentence. But if it is any consolation I was thinking about you when I was writing that.

2. duncanbootmaker

duncanbootmaker Well-Known Member

Don't 'sweat it', DW. I'm, hopefully, not too stuck up to think I should be mentioned in reference to anything about hand sewing :) And this is, after all, a thread about Japanese Bespoke. I just piped up to let you know that your guesstimate of the time to hand sew a top line was very good. As I said, I'm very impressed with the hand welt sewing of some of these chaps, and I have a lot to live up to in this respect. Far fewer hours are spent sewing welts than in closing the uppers, so therefore less practice, *and* it's more difficult.
    Cheers
    P.S. ...thanks for the vote of confidence :)

3. DWFII

@duncanbootmaker,

Well, you're the only one I know who regularly does hand sewing on the upper at anything close to Traditional frequency and quality.

FWIW, while I too admire the welt stitching of these makers, I personally don't think even 18 spi is anywhere near as difficult as upper work at 30. Or even 25.

IMO...

4. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Stylish Dinosaur

5. jrb666

jrb666 Senior Member

Fukuda RTW are 240,000¥.

MTO 280,000¥.

Bespoke - I didn't dare ask.

6. geeboo

geeboo Well-Known Member

DWFII - I would guess piercing thr a thicker & harder leather would be more manageable than a thinner piece, why do you say the reverse is true ?

7. DWFII

This puzzles me...I don't think I did say that. Just the opposite.

8. duncanbootmaker

duncanbootmaker Well-Known Member

I definitely find hand sewing uppers (a couple of mm of Kangaroo) is easier than outsoles (5 or 6mm of welt and compressed sole leather), though I don't sew at those higher frequencies (uppers 14 - 20spi, soles around 12spi). Of course, hand sewing through a 4 layer stacked leather heel is the hardest by far :D .Hopefully, as time goes on, my stitch count will increase :)
    I *really* would like to see some of the top Japanese guys take up hand rolling threads and hand sewing uppers.

9. dawei94

dawei94 Well-Known Member

Black captoe oxfords by Shoji Kawaguchi at Marquess. First visited him in October of 2016, then again in late June of 2017 for the fitting after he mailed me the fitting shoes. He mailed these out to me right before Christmas. My feet are very wide and flat, so I have lots of issues finding RTW or even St Crispin's personal last that fit me well and don't look like a blob. These look great to me and the fit seems great so far (only had a chance to try them on briefly, no real wear yet). Overall, extremely satisfied, and look forward to future commissions. With shipping, these were 353k yen, and I think some portion of that is attributable to a one-time last fee.

IMG_4282.jpg

IMG_4283.jpg

IMG_4284.jpg

IMG_4285.jpg

IMG_4286.jpg

IMG_4287.jpg

IMG_4288.jpg

10. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior Member

Very nice!

Lovely and minimalistic pattern

11. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior Member

I'm wondering if there are any further thoughts, opinions, reviews on the Trading Post originals made by Central Shoes?

They were discussed on this thread a few years back but I didn't see anything recent. I live in Tokyo and find it very difficult to find shoes in my size but Trading Post does offer their shoes in an 11, which is basically a US 12.

Any owners out there?

12. dawei94

dawei94 Well-Known Member

Thanks! I wanted to start with something that I could wear in a variety of settings, particularly for work. My first St. Crispin's personal last had almost the exact same pattern as well (black adelaide captoe oxford, but the heel counter didn't go as far forward). I also have a burgundy quarter brogue from YF and a dark brown double monk from Spigola coming in as well, so comparison pics will be coming when those arrive.

13. brax

brax Senior Member

Awesome. You showed great restraint and it paid off. A perfect rendition of a shoe that must be in every man's wardrobe.

14. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Distinguished Member

Received my fourth bespoke pair from Yohei Fukuda. An adelaide model he has made for previous bespoke customers which I really loved, and managed to find the perfect brown leather for it, IMO. Fit is really good, and think they look amazing. A bunch of pics (more can be found on my blog):

DSC09127.jpg
    DSC09151.jpg
    DSC09158.jpg
    DSC09004.jpg
    DSC08941.jpg
    DSC08986.jpg
    DSC08971.jpg
    DSC08958.jpg
    DSC09066.jpg
    DSC09104.jpg
    DSC09080.jpg
    DSC09007.jpg
    DSC09097.jpg
    DSC09187.jpg
    DSC09206.jpg
    DSC09097.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 3:05 PM

15. clee1982

clee1982 Distinguished Member

How much is his bespoke again (roughly)?