• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Denim

Noverre

Reaction score
I dont suffer from that problem. Either way I think they are an awesome jeans with a great reputation. Dust them down and wear them again!

Gentry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Atleee
Does anyone have experience with ASOS japanese denim?

Not bought any of it but it kinda seems like they are just jumping on the "japanese denim" bandwagon. I vaguely remember seeing the price at about £50-60?? but as most people on here will say, just pay slightly more and you'll know what you're getting.

Daaj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gentry
Not bought any of it but it kinda seems like they are just jumping on the "japanese denim" bandwagon. I vaguely remember seeing the price at about £50-60?? but as most people on here will say, just pay slightly more and you'll know what you're getting.

Just some quick thoughts, I owned quite a few pairs of cheap denim in my life time and some that I now feel i paid to much for. Few years ago one of my best friends tuned me into Japanese denim... I went out and purchased some samurai S634XX II Ltd and I've never looked back and wore them as often as I could. It does take some getting use to wearing dry denim, but it has been well worth the wear and the wait. To see some good lines and the story of my own denim wear. When it comes down to it the quality is well worth the money. I'm now working on my second pair of Sugarcanes. You get what you pay for.

Islander

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with how Eternal 811s fit relative to say, APC Rescues? I compared the actual measurements from my 33 Rescues to the size 34 and 36 Eternal 811 numbers posted on BiG's website and they are pretty similar with the exception of the waist, which has stretched in my APCs. I would like to achieve a 36" waist... will the 34 Eternals stretch in the waist at all or should I size up to the 36?

The Thin Man

Reaction score
I am going to Tokyo for the first time next week and am looking to buy my first good pair of jeans. I have a 33 waist and a 33 inseam. I am looking for a dark indigo pair with a mid rise and straight, somewhat slim legs. Where should I go for Sugarcane, Flat Head or Somet jeans? Thanks.

maltess

Reaction score
Hello

I am totally new to japanese and raw denim, I been looking to the wohle offer at selfedge andBig and of course I have seen a lot of models that I like and eventually will buy. At those prices I am worred about the quality, I dont want to spend that money for an average quality pair of jeans. So I would like to ask about this

Besides the design and the fading, do you buy also quality jeans and better quality that Levis, Diesel, lee E, Sewn etc. Is there a big diffrence in that sense?

I guess between the japanese some brand will have more quality than otheres. Flathead, Iron heart or Momotaro look pretty good to me, am i wrong?

what about Pure Blue Japan, Skull, Real Japan Blues and Somet? those are the other brands I am interested, any other recommendation?

I know this is a lot of questions, I been going through different threads but is difficult to find a clear answer for this. Any input would be very much appreciated

best regards

iwhelan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skolatchi
Does anyone have any experience with how Eternal 811s fit relative to say, APC Rescues? I compared the actual measurements from my 33 Rescues to the size 34 and 36 Eternal 811 numbers posted on BiG's website and they are pretty similar with the exception of the waist, which has stretched in my APCs. I would like to achieve a 36" waist... will the 34 Eternals stretch in the waist at all or should I size up to the 36?

The Eternal 811 does not stretch very much at all. You should at most size one down from your natural waist size. I have a 32" waist and wear the 31w Eternals. They were very tight at the waist, but have since become comfortable, but they aren't going to stretch anymore than that.

iwhelan

Reaction score
Maltess,

I think it is safe to say that just about all of those Japanese brands are going to be higher quality than what you'll find at your regular dept. store. Thats not to say that every Japanese brand out there is better than some non-Japanese, but for the most part Blue in Green and Self Edge are creating collections of brands that they know are good, and that their customers will appreciate. If you visit one of these stores or order something you will see right away that these garments are quite amazing. If you're not satisfied, you can always return them.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maltess
Besides the design and the fading, do you buy also quality jeans and better quality that Levis, Diesel, lee E, Sewn etc. Is there a big diffrence in that sense?

I guess between the japanese some brand will have more quality than otheres. Flathead, Iron heart or Momotaro look pretty good to me, am i wrong?

what about Pure Blue Japan, Skull, Real Japan Blues and Somet? those are the other brands I am interested, any other recommendation?

im a big fan of diesel so you'll get alot of different responses based on their preferences. diesel , qualitatively, is a great brand. just watch out for some of their ugly washes and cuts. there is a big difference in fabric though, i find alot of diesel jeans use a sort of a thicker and plusher grade of cotton denim compared to the other mall brands you listed. in a sense, the diesel jeans some of them are 'chunkier' for a lack of a better term.

flat head iron heart and all others all are a wash in terms of quality. they are all up there. at that point, just pick out the jean you like for best fit for you. some jeans specialize in unisex/slim/skinny fits , somet and pure blue and skull are the ones that come to mind. pbj has a slubbier textured denim while somet uses some more refined looking green sheen denim. from what i experienced.
iron heart and flat head i have yet to experience, but mainly due to price. as their brands (selfedge) i see tend to have about 100 dollars more in price over BiG i dont know if it is the store's pricing scheme or just the price for the brands. anyways i usually go to BiG

maltess

Reaction score
Hello again,

I found this seller in ebay:

http://myworld.ebay.es/japan_denim

japan_denim

they have some brands, is a little cheaper than regular prices. Anyone has experience with this? I am very reluctant with ebay in general, I always think stuff can be letfovers, faulty items etc. But maybe I am wrong

Mbrand

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Thin Man
I am going to Tokyo for the first time next week and am looking to buy my first good pair of jeans. I have a 33 waist and a 33 inseam. I am looking for a dark indigo pair with a mid rise and straight, somewhat slim legs. Where should I go for Sugarcane, Flat Head or Somet jeans? Thanks.

Most Japanese denim brands are sold in tiny shops at Ameyoko market (near Ueno station). You can sometimes find great deals on denim.

Flat Head have a Flagship store close to Daikanyama station, just under St James store, opposite to Le Labo I think. Still in Daikanyama, but closer to shibuya is the real mccoy's store that carries a lot of denim. (Supreme is on the opposite side of the street). The Omnigod/ spellboud shop is not far too.

The warehouse store is in Ebisu.

Studio d'Artisan, Pure blue Japan, and momotaro have their shops in Harajuku. Skull jeans harajuku closed but they might still have a store somowhere.

There are a few 45rpm stores in Tokyo as well.

IMO You should go and try a lot of jeans in different shops instead of looking for specific brands.

Islander

Reaction score
Hello again,

I found this seller in ebay:

http://myworld.ebay.es/japan_denim

japan_denim

they have some brands, is a little cheaper than regular prices. Anyone has experience with this? I am very reluctant with ebay in general, I always think stuff can be letfovers, faulty items etc. But maybe I am wrong

I recently had a very good experience with japan_denim. I was looking for a pair of Momotaro 0201 but Context is currently out of stock and will not be placing a reorder for a few months. I saw japan_denim mentioned in the Momotaro thread so I decided to be the SF guinea pig and give them a try.* After placing the order and sending PayPal payment I received a message from a friendly guy named K., who confirmed that my jeans were true to the measurements posted in the eBay store and were ready to ship via FedEx. The next day (Sept 10) the package was shipped via FedEx International Economy (customs-cleared, requires signature proof of delivery) and another friendly guy named M. sent me a FedEx tracking number. They were sent from Nagano and arrived in Vancouver on Sept 13. The jeans were brand new with no defects and exceeded my expectations in every way. I highly recommend them.

*I based my decision to buy from japan_denim in part on the fact that 1) I'm tall and don't need to chain stitch the hems, and 2) I live in western Canada, so shipping from Nagano cost less than shipping from N.Y.

maltess

Reaction score
Hello again

how is the chainstiching result in BIG and SE? do they look like they could straight from the factory? I know these shops are great proffesionals but I am just wondering. In the past I have had very bad experiences on this subjet with local tailors etc. doing just a regular hem, the job always looked awfull.

best regards

Islander

Reaction score
how is the chainstiching result in BIG and SE? do they look like they could straight from the factory? I know these shops are great proffesionals but I am just wondering. In the past I have had very bad experiences on this subjet with local tailors etc. doing just a regular hem, the job always looked awfull.

Big difference between your local tailor and Self Edge's handiwork: Shaun's RRL's - Getting Chain Stitched

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JackPo