• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jantzen, Reliable at last?

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruzzi
question:

has anyone been refused service at jantzen for being too fussy?

i have recently while on holidays in hk, as well as a friend of mine (within 2 weeks of each other).

short story:

- first time visit to jantzen, get fitted for two shirts, which i ask for slim fit.
- i have three extra fittings to get it to the slimness i want.
- i pick up and pay for shirts, which fit great.
- i return a few days later to pick out more fabrics and they tell me they don't want my business because i'm too fussy.

quite a shame cause I really liked the shirts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Both you and your friend were refused service on separate occasions because you were both too fussy? Perhaps something was lost in translation due to their imperfect english? A clash of culture or personality? Did you sense anything was amiss during your visits there prior to your last visit?

Has this happened to you and your friend before? When you step into your favourite and most frequented store(s) do the smiles on the sales associates face fade and curdle upon catching sight of you? Do they walk rapidly away averting their gaze seemingly not having seen you?

Smaller mom and pop type non-corporate stores tend not to be as tolerant with customers they deem to be too difficult for whatever reason (unreasonable expectations, etc...).

Jantzen doesn't seem to be hurting for business.

Contango

Reaction score
Maybe if he starts turning away the customers who consume too much of his time Ricky will start working on some of those internet order from earlier this year!

KenN

Reaction score
question:

has anyone been refused service at jantzen for being too fussy?

i have recently while on holidays in hk, as well as a friend of mine (within 2 weeks of each other).

short story:

- first time visit to jantzen, get fitted for two shirts, which i ask for slim fit.
- i have three extra fittings to get it to the slimness i want.
- i pick up and pay for shirts, which fit great.
- i return a few days later to pick out more fabrics and they tell me they don't want my business because i'm too fussy.

quite a shame cause I really liked the shirts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 fittings is pretty ridiculous

ruzzi

Reaction score
sure, i admit 4 fittings (measured first, then adjusted 3 three times) is a bit much. but this is the first time i've used jantzen. no one on sf has adjusted their online measurements for jantzen more than twice? i find that hard to believe after reading this thread. it just happens that i did all my changes within 2 weeks. i wanted to get a perfect fit so that when i returned home i could reorder online with different fabrics to my hearts desire... im very thin and broad in the shoulders, so its hard for me to fine shirts that fit me well. then main adjustment we made was the slimness wasnt enough (gauging by the people asking for slim fit shirts on this forum i'm sure you guys would understand). there were also problems with the neck (gaping) and each time the adjustments were made but not enough, i didnt give them exact measurements, i just asked them to make it slimmer or fix the neck and trusted their judgement. i do note that it came out perfect after ricky did the final adjustments. it was not ricky that refused the service, he was not there. ricky did original measurements, with two more by the young guy wearing a suit then last one by ricky. the person who refused service was the young guy who is always wearing jeans. i believe it was him and the guy that takes the money at the front who were the unhappy ones. i can understand a moderate amount of cantonese (do not speak it). despite all that drama, these shirts are the best fitting ones i own (i guess they better after 4 fittings?
smile.gif
) so im just gonna reorder online.

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
despite all that drama, these shirts are the best fitting ones i own (i guess they better after 4 fittings?
smile.gif
) so im just gonna reorder online.

Now that you have the perfect fitting shirt you can use the measurements from these shirts to order from other online shirt merchants. No need to stick with Jantzen if they don't want your money.

JGalt

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Jantzen offers a rounded hem? In my opinion, the straight hem looks a little off when untucked.

Thanks.

ApplesHK

Reaction score
This highlights a problem with Jantzen and it's a problem I broached with Ricky. His staff let him down.
There are 4 staff members at Jantzen. Ricky and his off sider Mr Black do most of the suit fittings.
Alex is a younger fellow always in a suit and Samson is the young jeans wearing guy.
My first impression of Jantzen was with Samson. I went to have a few shirts made. Samson showed me a pile of books and walked back to his computer. Samson then did the measuring. This first measurement is crucial and unluckily for me, he botched the measurement. Months later they were still producing shirts too small and each needed to be returned. I asked Ricky to throw away the measurements and start again, but he assured me they were now OK. They weren't.

My brother had a great experience with his visits because I made sure Ricky looked after him.

None of my Jantzen shirts looks or feels special or gives that real satisfaction. This week I noticed the Jantzen cottons wrinkle more than my Australian purchased linen shirt. You would expect linen to look pretty limp after a day at the office, but it stood up well by comparison to Jantzen's fabrics.
Now this, to be fair, could just be my poor selection, but nobody ever steered me to quality fabrics or seemed to really know (apart from Ricky that is).

I've put it down to experience and am now embarking on a programme of trying other tailors. I've gone straight to the top with Ascot Chang for one shirt as a test. Well made, good service and good after sales service with a slight problem I had. Their list of fabrics is very, very tempting and for somebody like me who needs more than a swatch, AC has many RTW shirts in Thomas Mason fabrics.
I went to the store at The Peninsula Hotel but found the service at the IFC Mall better and more to my liking.

I'm afraid the Jantzen experiment was a disappointment. Shirts OK and for the money, I suppose you can't grizzle too much, but I want a cut above what they offer.

laphroaig

Reaction score
The only reason I follow this thread is to see when it's safe to order and get something in less than 2 months.
lol8[1].gif
... and in case anyone posts any more interesting fabrics... hint bloody hint.

tbtommyb

Reaction score
I ordered a shirt some time back in late March and early April and only got the confirmation email towards the end of May. It did arrive fairly promptly after that, but the fabric (Jantzen*2006) is pretty rubbish, with a diamond texture that gives the shirt a very 70s feel. Admittedly the diamonds are mentioned in the description, but the image hardly gives a good idea of the fabric's appearance. For reference, my TaT suit (you can tell I've been lurking here long enough to find the SF-approved people) was ordered, made and dispatched in less time than one shirt took Jantzen.

ruzzi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ApplesHK
This highlights a problem with Jantzen and it's a problem I broached with Ricky. His staff let him down. There are 4 staff members at Jantzen. Ricky and his off sider Mr Black do most of the suit fittings. Alex is a younger fellow always in a suit and Samson is the young jeans wearing guy. My first impression of Jantzen was with Samson. I went to have a few shirts made. Samson showed me a pile of books and walked back to his computer. Samson then did the measuring. This first measurement is crucial and unluckily for me, he botched the measurement. Months later they were still producing shirts too small and each needed to be returned. I asked Ricky to throw away the measurements and start again, but he assured me they were now OK. They weren't. My brother had a great experience with his visits because I made sure Ricky looked after him. None of my Jantzen shirts looks or feels special or gives that real satisfaction. This week I noticed the Jantzen cottons wrinkle more than my Australian purchased linen shirt. You would expect linen to look pretty limp after a day at the office, but it stood up well by comparison to Jantzen's fabrics. Now this, to be fair, could just be my poor selection, but nobody ever steered me to quality fabrics or seemed to really know (apart from Ricky that is). I've put it down to experience and am now embarking on a programme of trying other tailors. I've gone straight to the top with Ascot Chang for one shirt as a test. Well made, good service and good after sales service with a slight problem I had. Their list of fabrics is very, very tempting and for somebody like me who needs more than a swatch, AC has many RTW shirts in Thomas Mason fabrics. I went to the store at The Peninsula Hotel but found the service at the IFC Mall better and more to my liking. I'm afraid the Jantzen experiment was a disappointment. Shirts OK and for the money, I suppose you can't grizzle too much, but I want a cut above what they offer.
thanks apples for the feedback...i agree and i think i expected too much, to be honest i've never got a tailored shirt before this. so maybe i was expecting AC service on a Janzten budget!

Getzione

Reaction score
Im thinking of trying out Jantzen, as i've been quite dissapointed with ModernTailor.
To avoid this problem:

Will i have to specify anything regarding the collarstiching?

Thanks.

Getzione

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
Choose edge or italian stitching.

Thank you, sir!

xCoffee

Reaction score
I ordered one plain white twill shirt may 20th(ish), and it came in today. Less than a month's turn around time is something I can live with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads