• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jantzen, Reliable at last?

linsook

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Fabrics.
I'd imagine it would be nicer in person to see but i rather save on the air fare and take a leap of faith on the fabrics. That has been working for me since the start. I'm easy to please I suppose.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lsquare
Of course not everyone is willing to travel all the way to Hong Kong to get their shirts made so that's why they have to use the internet.

I am going to Hong Kong (hopefully) in August. It will be interesting to see if Ricky recommends any changes from my "online" measurements. Excepting two shirts I have been happy with what Jantzen has sent me, although my standards are quite lower than most of the people here.

PS I don't speak any Cantonese so I hope the communication barrier isn't an issue, but I guess I will find out.

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
I don't think the issue is fit. The issues are delays, lack of communication, missing shirts, wrong fabric....
I think I read here where some people were disappointed with their fit, but maybe I'm wrong. I don't think you can blame him for that. At the end of the day, I don't think internet orders make up the bulk of their business nor is it their main priority. If you ever visit their store, you'll see that they're quite busy. I wouldn't go there without calling him and making an appointment or else you might end up being disappointed and wait! At the end of the day, for something this important, I wouldn't get an order done over the internet unless they already measured you.

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
I am going to Hong Kong (hopefully) in August. It will be interesting to see if Ricky recommends any changes from my "online" measurements. Excepting two shirts I have been happy with what Jantzen has sent me, although my standards are quite lower than most of the people here. PS I don't speak any Cantonese so I hope the communication barrier isn't an issue, but I guess I will find out.
Like I said earlier, I rather just get him to measure me than taking the risk of measuring myself. Just seeing how frustrated some people are with Jantzen, the first thing that I want to say is just go to HK and get Ricky or someone there to measure you. Hong Kong is a pretty interesting place anyways so I'd go there even if I wasn't getting shirts made! For the price, I wouldn't complain. They fit and feel well compare to most RTW shirts that I find at a store. Ricky speaks pretty decent English so there shouldn't be any communication barrier. He has the typical Hong Kong English accent so it may be a little hard to understand since you're from Philly.

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by linsook
I'm very satisfied with my shirts. Also they have your measurements on file now, why would you fly back just to order shirts, you can do that online from now on.
Like I said in the other post, I don't go to HK just to get some shirts made. Yea, I can always order the phone, but it's not the same since I can't feel or see the fabrics. HK is a pretty interest place to go to. There are lots of things to do!

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
lsquare,

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say with your post. That we should all learn Cantonese and move to HK so Jantzen can become 'reliable, at last'? Surely not.
I have no doubt that if you come into the store, see the swatches, and can communicate your wishes, you get a satisfactory product. If for no other reason that if you don't, you return the shirt in person and have them remake it.

But it just so happens that Jantzen has an online store, geared towards English-speaking people all over the world. Should we hold Ricky to a lower standard for orders processed through the online-store?

No, I'm not saying that. I just said that I communicated in Cantonese with him just to ensure there was no possibility of having any misunderstanding. Since English is not his native language, there's no point for me to use English with him since I'm afraid that there may be any misunderstanding and that will lead to the designing of a product that I won't like.

No where in the post did I say you should move to Hong Kong. I said if you want the fitting and select the "perfect" fabric, then you should fly to HK and get it done there.

Of course, I think you should hold him to a lower standard for orders processed through the online-store. He's not measuring you in person and can't allow you to examine the products on-site. How can you know for sure that you'll get what you like? From what he told me, online orders don't even make up the bulk of his business. You can take my words for what it's worth to you. Seeing how disappointed and frustrated some people are, I would rather just go to HK and get things done there.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[...]
Of course, I think you should hold him to a lower standard for orders processed through the online-store. He's not measuring you in person and can't allow you to examine the products on-site. How can you know for sure that you'll get what you like? From what he told me, online orders don't even make up the bulk of his business. You can take my words for what it's worth to you. Seeing how disappointed and frustrated some people are, I would rather just go to HK and get things done there.

Well, I think the standards should be the same if the price is the same (and actually, there should be an online discount since no measurement/consultation is required, and I presume Ricky's time is more precious than that of the shirt makers). If the fit is not right, I would blame myself unless the shirt is clearly not made according to the measurements provided.
For everything else, things like wrong collars, wrong fabrics and overall reliability, I'd blame Jantzen. Would you accept the wrong collar on an in-store order? Surely not. Yet, these things seem to happen for online orders even though there is no room for misunderstandings as everything is done in writing.

I'm not trying to put Jantzen down or anything, I just don't think that coming in person is an option for most people here, and recommending this in this thread just reinforces the old 'they always screw you on the take-out' mentality.

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
Well, I think the standards should be the same if the price is the same (and actually, there should be an online discount since no measurement/consultation is required, and I presume Ricky's time is more precious than that of the shirt makers). If the fit is not right, I would blame myself unless the shirt is clearly not made according to the measurements provided.
For everything else, things like wrong collars, wrong fabrics and overall reliability, I'd blame Jantzen. Would you accept the wrong collar on an in-store order? Surely not. Yet, these things seem to happen for online orders even though there is no room for misunderstandings as everything is done in writing.

I'm not trying to put Jantzen down or anything, I just don't think that coming in person is an option for most people here, and recommending this in this thread just reinforces the old 'they always screw you on the take-out' mentality.

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm not defending Jantzen because I have to, but because I genuinely had a good experience when I was there. At the end of the day if you're not satisfied, you can always take your money elsewhere. Personally I would never do an internet order with Jantzen unless I've already been there before.

ruzzi

Reaction score
question:

has anyone been refused service at jantzen for being too fussy?

i have recently while on holidays in hk, as well as a friend of mine (within 2 weeks of each other).

short story:

- first time visit to jantzen, get fitted for two shirts, which i ask for slim fit.
- i have three extra fittings to get it to the slimness i want.
- i pick up and pay for shirts, which fit great.
- i return a few days later to pick out more fabrics and they tell me they don't want my business because i'm too fussy.

quite a shame cause I really liked the shirts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Styk33

Reaction score
Why would they refuse to make shirts that they have already made correctly. I could understand if you were complaining about what they produced for you, but you stated you were happy and wanted more. Very perculiar if you ask me.

needler

Reaction score
No where in the post did I say you should move to Hong Kong. I said if you want the fitting and select the "perfect" fabric, then you should fly to HK and get it done there. .
If one is going to pay for a ticket and the time required to travel to HK one could just as easily go to a top tier shirt place in the US. Also, there are other online tailors now who definitely provide better info about fabrics and probably better service (though higher cost), which is the proper point of comparison. So "am I going to fly across the world so that my cheap internet shirts don't suck" isn't really the question at hand. FWIW, I found a fit I quite like with Jantzen so now I just face the dilemma of the fabrics.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeawMartin