1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Jantzen, Reliable at last?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Get Smart, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

this is from a fella on my mod forum that he posted from another forumite who's an expat living in HK and gets all his shirts from Jantzen's storefront...

"GOOD NEWS! just heard from alan in HK that ricky is moving to new bigger premises in the next few weeks, he says he's aiming to turn shirts for internation al internet clients in 2/3 weeks ........... .......... we'll believe it when we see it, but it sounds like something's being done at last."

that would be good news, 2-3 week reliable turnaround!

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

this is from a fella on my mod forum that he posted from another forumite who's an expat living in HK and gets all his shirts from Jantzen's storefront...

"GOOD NEWS! just heard from alan in HK that ricky is moving to new bigger premises in the next few weeks, he says he's aiming to turn shirts for internation al internet clients in 2/3 weeks ........... .......... we'll believe it when we see it, but it sounds like something's being done at last."

that would be good news, 2-3 week reliable turnaround!

Hm, interesting, going on 4 months for me and not even an email.

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

a co-worker of mine ordered a shirt almost a year ago and nothing, but at least he didnt get charged for nothing

I've been lucky that all my orders have arrived within 6 weeks

4. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I will believe it when I see it. But I guess I won't. I'm through with Jantzen for now. I'd rather pay a little more and have shirts made locally. When there's a problem, it is corrected. I can see and touch the material. I don't have to forget about my order and hope it is fulfilled. The fabric is washed so shrinking is less of an issue...

Don't get me wrong, I think Jantzen's a great asset, but after some three dozen shirts, I'm going elsewhere.

5. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

a co-worker of mine ordered a shirt almost a year ago and nothing, but at least he didnt get charged for nothing
    Happened to me. Ordered shirts on my dad's measurements late August 2006. Sent three emails after that (every other month) then gave up. I wasn't charged either

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, I'm beginning to think my last order was lost. Not a big deal, except that I was wanting to try the new shirt on before ordering my next one.

7. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

I've been lucky that all my orders have arrived within 6 weeks
    I've been lucky that way for my first 4 orders (although the occasional phone call was sometimes needed). But my 5th is starting to prove a nightmare : 6 months, 2 phone calls and I have been charged but don't have the shirt. That's a first for me.

8. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Still waiting after 3 months on my last order, despite several emails and at least 3 telephone discussions with Ricky. His response is invariably that things are too busy at the shop. My inference is that the online orders always go to the bottom of the pile in preference to people who come in and ask for 3 day turnaround, instead of being processed in order of receipt.

I won't be going back either.

9. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

You are quite right. Jantzen is incredibly busy. The online business is treated as a side business. There is just too much business walking in the door.

10. California Dreamer

And, under Parkinson's Law, there is no reason to believe this will change if Ricky gets larger premises. His new shop will probably generate even more onsite business, pushing his online customers even further back in the queue.

For anything to change, Ricky has to make a policy change to treat all of his channels with equal priority, in order of receipt.

I vote for a Private Equity takeover of Ricky's online business, and leave him to get on with what he prefers to do.

11. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I vote for a Private Equity takeover of Ricky's online business, and leave him to get on with what he prefers to do.
    Or have someone take over his customer service department. Won't any members in Hong Kong step up to the plate? I know that if I lived there I would do this myself.

12. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

It is private equity owned now - his own.

13. California Dreamer

Good point. I just meant a buyout; PE is top-of-mind for me right now, which is why it came out like that.

14. paisley_red

paisley_red Active Member

i've been waiting a while for my janzten order as well. Can anyone please tell me a good alternative for MTM orders, with a reasonable turnaround time?

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

i've been waiting a while for my janzten order as well. Can anyone please tell me a good alternative for MTM orders, with a reasonable turnaround time?

Depends on what you're looking for in terms of quality, options, price range, etc. Some people have been very happy with Land's End's MTM program. No idea about their turnaround time, but they've got to be more reliable than Jantzen. Nordstrom's does a mtm program that some people like. You could also step up to a local shirtmaker, depending on where you are. Chan is an option, but I think they want to do the first measurement in person (and that's better from your perspective, too.)

There are a few other online options, but I think they're kind of hit-and-miss.

16. schanop

schanop Active Member

Last month I visited Hong Kong for a week. Had a few shirts ordered at Jantzen on the first day of arrival. One prototype was made in a couple of days for a quick fitting check. And the rest were done by the time I had to leave. On premise work still has a very good turn aroudn time nevertheless.

17. Gatsby

Gatsby Senior member

They have developed such a good reputation locally that any complaints from online customers are clearly secondary. The amount of work they get locally either from tourists, expats, locals, etc. seriously outweighs anything they get online. They get a decent amount of suit orders in store as well, which have a better margin than shirts. The only reason they started to accept online orders was a result of the handover to accommodate the expat customers that left.

I will be visiting over the weekend and ask them about moving, though personally the trip to Worldwide House is always a "colorful" one.. btw, just from talking to Ricky about their business, it is highly unlikely they will be bought out anytime soon. It's a cash cow for them, and despite having to constantly deal with pushy foreigners, they are quite well off.

Btw, Kolecho do you know the name of the fellow who always wears black shirts? I believe he is Ricky's partner.

18. Gong Tao

Gong Tao Senior member

do you know the name of the fellow who always wears black shirts? I believe he is Ricky's partner.

His name is David.

19. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Worldwide House will never be the same without Ricky.

20. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

David is a legend. I love that guy. He swears in full sentences, and wears nothing but black, except for his underwear (according to him) [​IMG]