• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

lsterling

Reaction score
This is gonna seem dumb but some of the gear you get with JMMs is almost too nice to use. Maybe it’s a little OCD of me that I don’t want to mess them up, or maybe I want to keep the accessories pristine to keep up the resale value in case I want to move them on, but all these boxes are taking up space now!
I almost wish they’d knock $100 off the price and just send them in a shoe box then we can pay the extra for the swanky cases and cleaning cloths if we want to!😁😅
Honestly my biggest gripe about the LF cases is that you have to be extra careful not to drag your expensive frame across the zipper. I feel like it's a major design flaw that it's so easy to damage your glasses before you even get them on your face for the first time.

Wayousechu

Reaction score
Hey! First time posting here, joined because I had a quick fire question I wanted to ask and this is probably the best place to do that.

Has the Taos model ever been released in the Taupe/Denim option? If not, is there any chance it will be in the future? I don't know how their seasonal releases go and I'd take the plunge immediately if this color was available for the Taos. I'm currently eyeing the Primes but $820 is a lot and I'm not quite convinced yet. (Ok maybe 85% convinced lol)

MícheálfromCDM

Reaction score
As always, glad to hear your opinion. I hope you're doing well.

The lady looks good, but the frame's colourway is not determinant in my eyes.

My point is that such colourways (Vesper, Hot Pink, Vermillion, Cheetah, Checkered) don't suit the refined and exclusive JMM aesthetics, they simply look cheap and tacky to me. But, as always, I respect every opinion differing from mine.
Thank you for your well wishes. I want to be careful to avoid turning this space into a space where I come to post medical updates, possibly sharing information that is a downer. I feel good today, and I hope everyone here does too.

I haven’t any frames that use colorful acetates, and I have asked myself why, because I think they are good looking and I believe I could pull it off.

In the case of this lovely lady, I believe she wears these frames very well; that they lend an elegance to her outfit, and I believe she helps to elevate the look of the frames.

I do agree with you that there are frames that don’t take color well, but I believe that the wearer, the outfit, the styling, even just the skin tone of the wearer can lend a richness to a pair of frames, just as all these attributes can also cheapen the look of a handsome pair of frames.

lsterling

Reaction score
Hey! First time posting here, joined because I had a quick fire question I wanted to ask and this is probably the best place to do that.

Has the Taos model ever been released in the Taupe/Denim option? If not, is there any chance it will be in the future? I don't know how their seasonal releases go and I'd take the plunge immediately if this color was available for the Taos. I'm currently eyeing the Primes but $820 is a lot and I'm not quite convinced yet. (Ok maybe 85% convinced lol)
Welcome! That model/color combo has not been released to my knowledge, but that's hardly definitive since I'm also a relative latecomer to the brand, and JMM's archive is lacking, to say the least. Prime is probably the closest available colorway to what you're describing. As for whether it will be released in the future, it's really impossible to say. Never say never, but I wouldn't let the possibility of a better frame being released in the future keep you from getting one you like now.

Wayousechu

Reaction score
Welcome! That model/color combo has not been released to my knowledge, but that's hardly definitive since I'm also a relative latecomer to the brand, and JMM's archive is lacking, to say the least. Prime is probably the closest available colorway to what you're describing. As for whether it will be released in the future, it's really impossible to say. Never say never, but I wouldn't let the possibility of a better frame being released in the future keep you from getting one you like now.
Thanks for the input. I tried looking into any archives but just as you said, they're not very expansive. I'll keep my fingers crossed for that color dropping sometime in the future. Of course other frames will tempt me haha but thank god the pricing and my budget stop me from even considering it. Which is good.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do agree with you that there are frames that don’t take color well, but I believe that the wearer, the outfit, the styling, even just the skin tone of the wearer can lend a richness to a pair of frames, just as all these attributes can also cheapen the look of a handsome pair of frames.

I absolutely agree that the wearer can highlight the beauty of a frame, and also that skin tone and hair colour are almost as important as face features.

Last edited:

mbf123

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I tried looking into any archives but just as you said, they're not very expansive. I'll keep my fingers crossed for that color dropping sometime in the future. Of course other frames will tempt me haha but thank god the pricing and my budget stop me from even considering it. Which is good.
There was a Tempest in the past but no Taupe. Leidmans and GoodSeeCo are good places to see recent past versions but not conclusive.

Wayousechu

Reaction score
There was a Tempest in the past but no Taupe. Leidmans and GoodSeeCo are good places to see recent past versions but not conclusive.
I'll keep my eyes peeled for the Taupes. I've become quite good at waiting things out. (After years of struggle lol)

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Taupe colouway was used in the past, but in a very limited way, only recently it has been used more extensively on the most classic frames, Molino, Dealan, Fellini, Yves, all in the combination with Denim lenses. The Taos was never released in this colourway.

Last edited:

Wayousechu

Reaction score
The Taupe colouway was used in the past, but in a very limited way, only recently it has been used more extensively on the most classic frames, Molino, Dealan, Fellini, Yves, all with the combination with Denim lenses. The Taos was never released in this colourway.
Thank you so much for the in-depth breakdown! I see the Taupe Fellini and Yves online for this season, and since it's never been released in this combo, here's hoping they drop in the next couple of seasons and I'll get a pair right away.

mbf123

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the in-depth breakdown! I see the Taupe Fellini and Yves online for this season, and since it's never been released in this combo, here's hoping they drop in the next couple of seasons and I'll get a pair right away.
If you do go for the Prime - check Mr. Porter before ordering direct from JMM. They still have the old $750 price versus $820. Save you $70.

Last edited:

Wayousechu

Reaction score
If you do go for the Prime - check Mr. Porter before ordering directed from JMM. They still have the old $750 price versus $820. Save you $70.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm still debating it, I like the Taupe better but it might not happen. The Prime has a cooler hue and isn't as versatile but it's still very good looking. (I might be wrong on this though.)

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pics of my latest acquisitions. You might want to wear your shades before viewing! 😁😎…

IMG_8082.jpeg

As you can see in real life the colours aren’t quite Pepsi can / Jolly Rancher hard candy which is a bonus for me as the glasses will be a step more versatile than if they were piercingly bright.

Then I also came by these - only 15 made allegedly …
IMG_8085.jpeg

On close inspection these are extra special. The acetate has a sort of semi-transparent glossy finish which makes them look almost luminescent. Obviously not a versatile frame to go with business clothes or workwear or whatever but we’re off to the Bahamas tomorrow and to keep my clothing choices simple there is a lot of aqua blue being packed so these will fit right in.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jogo1984