• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

Davsug

Reaction score
BTW, thinning out my collection a bit, so selling my Dealan Noir 4 (454/750). I tend not to wear sunglasses unless I'm running so these aren't getting much use. They're 9/10, with only very slight wear on the inside of the temples, and they have new custom JMM Tuscan brown gradient CR39 LENSES. Includes all accessories.
Couple of pics here, but PM/reply with questions or if you want any more pics.

Attachments

• cert.jpeg
    cert.jpeg
    257.8 KB · Views: 151
  • frame.jpeg
    frame.jpeg
    265.7 KB · Views: 157
  • package.jpeg
    package.jpeg
    262.1 KB · Views: 183

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got the Taos in sunkiss… couldn’t get them out of my mind since I tried them yesterday, and the FOMO is real with 250 of these made (my other pairs are runs of 450 or 500, can’t even imagine runs of 25 or even 10?), and just a couple of stores with stock (JMM being one of them).

I shouldn’t like these. I am (was?) a black/brown only frames guy, and with lenses always in warm colours. And here I am, telling you about my new almost transparent sunglasses with blue gradient lenses. Such summery vibes, pity we’re near the end of the summer in the northern hemisphere.

Taos is my new favourite frame, I got to try a pair in noir 7 too. I’ve got a hickory pair en route, supposedly. I say supposedly because these should be long gone, I’ve seen messages in this thread from November 2022 asking of they were available anywhere, so scoring a pair from a retailer in September 2023 seemed unlikely but Durant Sessions in Vancouver had a pair; still I will believe it when I open the package in a few days (customs take ages in this country). And when I was looking for them knowing they were an older pair and found out Brad Pitt had a similar pair (rootbeer) in a GQ photoshoot I thought “****, no chance”.

In other news, I’ll be posting a brand new pair of Plaza in beluga in the buy & sell thread, as I’m limiting myself to 4 pairs. Then I’ll stay the **** away from this thread full of enablers and the JMM website.

D32169

Reaction score
Someone on the watch thread said he woke up from a nightmare in which he’d died and his wife was selling off all his watches at the prices he’d told her he’d bought them for.

I’m sure a lot of us can relate to that nightmare when it comes to fessing up to what we paid for shades!
Gentlemen. Feel free to show this to your wives to prove how inexpensive Mage sunglasses are. (Zuma/Beige)

Attachments

• IMG_1001.jpeg
    IMG_1001.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 183

obecity

Reaction score
Ok guys I have a question. Have any of you ever put a full (colored) mirror coat on a clear photochromic lens? I have flash mirror coats on light grandient tints and it looks fantastic. The flash mirror allows others to see my eyes but is still noticeable.

Will a colored full mirror on a clear photochromic lens be too powerful (ie, will it look like a bathroom mirror)? I know that when the lens darkens, the mirror effect will become much stronger. My question is when the lens is in the clear state. All the opticians around me are clueless beyond just checking boxes on an order form.

Last edited:

swf999

Reaction score
Ok guys I have a question. Have any of you ever put a full (colored) mirror coat on a clear photochromic lens? I have flash mirror coats on light grandient tints and it looks fantastic. The flash mirror allows others to see my eyes but is still noticeable.

Will a colored full mirror on a clear photochromic lens be too powerful (ie, will it look like a bathroom mirror)? I know that when the lens darkens, the mirror effect will become much stronger. My question is when the lens is in the clear state. All the opticians around me are clueless beyond just checking boxes on an order form.
There is a video I will share. Let me find out.

swf999

Reaction score

So one you need to understand. If you do full Mirror coating, you can't do Anti-Reflective coating on top. Mirror reflects light as that's the whole purpose. AR coating won't work and/or doesn't make any sense . Mirror coating give maximum sun protection when UV hits. Unless you want to use them as sports glasses, I wouldn't have them clear to mirror photochromic.

So at indoors your non-tint clear lens when clear state would show light reflection like the ones you see on people who skip out AR coating or you couldn't afford to pay for AR coating or factory default clear lenses you get with any optical glasses.

This is basic thing and I am surprised that an optician can't figure that out. So that's your answer.

obecity

Reaction score
Nakahira, Gordon, Dealan. Tough one to pick one.
I like the Nakahira on you. For some reason, you have the ability to pull off bold styles, which is a very good thing that you should take advantage of. Fat old boring fellers like me just can’t. The Gordon is just too dang big for your facial dimensions, and I think the Dealan lacks the “oomph” of the Nakahira. The answer you seek is Nakahira, and on this, there can be no debate.

swf999

Reaction score
I like the Nakahira on you. For some reason, you have the ability to pull off bold styles, which is a very good thing that you should take advantage of. Fat old boring fellers like me just can’t. The Gordon is just too dang big for your facial dimensions, and I think the Dealan lacks the “oomph” of the Nakahira. The answer you seek is Nakahira, and on this, there can be no debate.
Cheers! Well explained.

obecity

Reaction score
So one you need to understand. If you do full Mirror coating, you can't do Anti-Reflective coating on top. Mirror reflects light as that's the whole purpose. AR coating won't work and/or doesn't make any sense . Mirror coating give maximum sun protection when UV hits. Unless you want to use them as sports glasses, I wouldn't have them clear to mirror photochromic.

So at indoors your non-tint clear lens when clear state would show light reflection like the ones you see on people who skip out AR coating or you couldn't afford to pay for AR coating or factory default clear lenses you get with any optical glasses.

This is basic thing and I am surprised that an optician can't figure that out. So that's your answer.
Much oblige to you. I have a pair of Dealan 53 in platinum that I wanted to do a full mirror in blue on top of a photochromic (no front AR, just backside AR). I figured the blue mirror on a clear lens would allow my eyes to be seen but give a cool “tint” to it while making them excellent sunglasses outdoors.

zonda600

Reaction score
I just got the Taos in sunkiss… couldn’t get them out of my mind since I tried them yesterday, and the FOMO is real with 250 of these made (my other pairs are runs of 450 or 500, can’t even imagine runs of 25 or even 10?), and just a couple of stores with stock (JMM being one of them).
I pulled the trigger on the Taos Sunkiss as well. I will probably wear them just a handful of times until next season, but will regret not buying if I wait.

swf999

Reaction score
Much oblige to you. I have a pair of Dealan 53 in platinum that I wanted to do a full mirror in blue on top of a photochromic (no front AR, just backside AR). I figured the blue mirror on a clear lens would allow my eyes to be seen but give a cool “tint” to it while making them excellent sunglasses outdoors.

There is something else to know. Putting a mirror coating on photochromatic lens may reduce the darkening effect as the light would be reflected.

Check out YouTube Channel of The Spectacle Factory. It's a British bloke who does loads of videos about tints, Flash and Mirror. I think I saw one of his video about he uses UV torch to showcase mirror and you may get an idea. But he uses Duravision and Zeiss. Here is one example

I would simply ask optician if they have sample of Essilor Transitions Xtractive which has Blue Mirror which goes clear to Blue Mirror. You will see some residual tint because of Xtractive coating. Perhaps that's what you really want living in US to go with Essilor as I don't think Photofusion/Duravision is available.

Last edited:

obecity

Reaction score
There is something else to know. Putting a mirror coating on photochromatic lens may reduce the darkening effect as the light would be reflected.

Check out YouTube Channel of The Spectacle Factory. It's a British bloke who does loads of videos about tints, Flash and Mirror. I think I saw one of his video about he uses UV torch to showcase mirror and you may get an idea. But he uses Duravision and Zeiss. Here is one example

I would simply ask optician if they have sample of Essilor Transitions Xtractive which has Blue Mirror which goes clear to Blue Mirror. You will see some residual tint because of Xtractive coating. Perhaps that's what you really want living in US to go with Essilor as I don't think Photofusion/Duravision is available.

That video shows exactly what I’m going for! I didn’t know that Photofusion and Duravision aren’t availability in these here United States of America. Absolute hogwash and unfair! Those jerks at the FDA are probably behind that brainiac move.

Thanks for the information dear friend.

yunBW

Reaction score
noir vs agar for challenger? Will have lens swap out so mainly debating frame color although it’s almost identical?

Currently got noir Fellini and no agar in the collection

Attachments

• IMG_8161.jpeg
    IMG_8161.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_7882.jpeg
    IMG_7882.jpeg
    257 KB · Views: 189

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyh78