• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a quick comment about a recent observation re Ray Bans.
I’m probably not alone in viewing Ray Bans as my ‘gateway drug’ and have 3 aviators, 3 small rectangles, four wayfarers and two new wayfarers in a variety of colours. All acquired long before discovering JMM.

Im interested in getting some frames in a red hue. I love my Oliver Peoples Jaye which came in ‘Bordeaux bark’ - a reddish tort that was unfortunately much darker IRL than on the publicity pics - almost black.

Red seems to have been largely neglected by JMM although I liked the look of the colour of the Diamond Cross Molinos. I saw some red wayfarers in the mall recently that looked to be a similar colour. Went and tried them on. They still have wire core arms and were a tasty deep translucent red, but picking them up they just felt sooooo feeble and weedy. I think this is likely due to me being spoilt by the sexy chunky acetate of JMMs but maybe there’s also been yet another step down in quality from Ray Ban which seems to have been on a slow march to worthless shite ever since B and L sold them off. They seemed noticeably lighter in weight and thinner in depth than the wayfarers I acquired several years ago.

lsterling

Reaction score
Just a quick comment about a recent observation re Ray Bans.
I’m probably not alone in viewing Ray Bans as my ‘gateway drug’ and have 3 aviators, 3 small rectangles, four wayfarers and two new wayfarers in a variety of colours. All acquired long before discovering JMM.

Im interested in getting some frames in a red hue. I love my Oliver Peoples Jaye which came in ‘Bordeaux bark’ - a reddish tort that was unfortunately much darker IRL than on the publicity pics - almost black.

Red seems to have been largely neglected by JMM although I liked the look of the colour of the Diamond Cross Molinos. I saw some red wayfarers in the mall recently that looked to be a similar colour. Went and tried them on. They still have wire core arms and were a tasty deep translucent red, but picking them up they just felt sooooo feeble and weedy. I think this is likely due to me being spoilt by the sexy chunky acetate of JMMs but maybe there’s also been yet another step down in quality from Ray Ban which seems to have been on a slow march to worthless shite ever since B and L sold them off. They seemed noticeably lighter in weight and thinner in depth than the wayfarers I acquired several years ago.
I only own two pairs of Ray-Ban, my most modern one being purchased circa-2012 so I can't really speak to the current quality. I will say, however, that light, thin plastic has its place and it's nice to have a pair or two that you just truly don't worry about completely destroying. Would be nice if Ray-Ban offered more than 5% of JMM quality at 30% of the price, but it is what it is. I know you and I have connected over the New Wayfarer before, which is still the pair that lives in my car and really probably gets worn more than any other sunglass I own. I say if the red pair fits the bill for what you're looking for, go for it, assuming the thing isn't just chintzy as all get out. Long live the cheap sunglass.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only own two pairs of Ray-Ban, my most modern one being purchased circa-2012 so I can't really speak to the current quality. I will say, however, that light, thin plastic has its place and it's nice to have a pair or two that you just truly don't worry about completely destroying. Would be nice if Ray-Ban offered more than 5% of JMM quality at 30% of the price, but it is what it is. I know you and I have connected over the New Wayfarer before, which is still the pair that lives in my car and really probably gets worn more than any other sunglass I own. I say if the red pair fits the bill for what you're looking for, go for it, assuming the thing isn't just chintzy as all get out. Long live the cheap sunglass.
Haha yeah without kicking off the whole “beach or no beach” debate again my wayfarers get the most use from me either when driving or heading to the beach (or on a beach holiday). If I came by a red pair of WF cut price I might be tempted. I think I’d prefer JMM to consider doing a few more frames in red although my bank balance would probably prefer the former. Maybe this conversation is pivoting towards my perennial gripe that JMM offer more options than variations on brown tort and black!!

Kkibbey23

Reaction score
Just finished up my build for Rx sunglasses. Argyle Dealan 53 with gold mirrored lenses. Should be pretty sweet! Can’t wait for them to get here. I thought the gold mirror would hit with the accents of the frames

c.ariston

Reaction score
Hello all,

New to this site and this thread has helped tremendously in helping me choose a pair of new frames. Settled on a nice pair of JMM Molino 55 rx with a slight tint, and I'm loving them.

2023-01-12 08_24_45-Inbox - Carlos.Lacuna@compassdigital.io - Outlook.png

MícheálfromCDM

Reaction score
Haha yeah without kicking off the whole “beach or no beach” debate again my wayfarers get the most use from me either when driving or heading to the beach (or on a beach holiday). If I came by a red pair of WF cut price I might be tempted. I think I’d prefer JMM to consider doing a few more frames in red although my bank balance would probably prefer the former. Maybe this conversation is pivoting towards my perennial gripe that JMM offer more options than variations on brown tort and black!!
O’kay, but wasn’t the “beach vs no beach” debate absolutely classic?! Just seeing it mentioned here brought a smile to my face. Not because I loved the debate itself, but because I love the passion you all exhibit here. I have a chemo infusion nurse who shares my love of eyewear, and I try to wear a different frame on each visit, but outside of Nurse Karen I really haven’t anyone to share my love of eyewear with. I hadn’t until I found this community, and you all have an interest in fashion too.

I am so grateful for each of you, I really am. Now about that beach debate….😉😅

lsterling

Reaction score
O’kay, but wasn’t the “beach vs no beach” debate absolutely classic?! Just seeing it mentioned here brought a smile to my face. Not because I loved the debate itself, but because I love the passion you all exhibit here. I have a chemo infusion nurse who shares my love of eyewear, and I try to wear a different frame on each visit, but outside of Nurse Karen I really haven’t anyone to share my love of eyewear with. I hadn’t until I found this community, and you all have an interest in fashion too.

I am so grateful for each of you, I really am. Now about that beach debate….😉😅
Isn't it so great to have a community of like-minded people who are passionate about the things you love but most people in your life just don't understand at all? I share your sentiment - very grateful for this forum and the Facebook communities as well.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't it so great to have a community of like-minded people who are passionate about the things you love but most people in your life just don't understand at all? I share your sentiment - very grateful for this forum and the Facebook communities as well.
Exactly this.
I’m still struggling to recall seeing any JMMs in the wild with the one exception of a customer coming in to Salle in Phipps Mall, Atlanta wearing a pair of LF JMMs and ordering another pair.
I’ve made no secret of my love for good shades to the people I meet but have never fessed up to obscene amount I’ve spent on them, like my watches too. They just wouldn’t understand!
But the like-minded community comment is spot on. I just said the very same on another thread about why I started my blog as I was in search of others who are into Mod style as I didn’t know any IRL.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZenLeafCBDGummies1