• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew Fall/Winter 2010 Discussion

HOT Sriracha

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! I live in Northern California, so it doesn't get that cold, but does get rainy. I do plan on using this jacket year round. The Cadet jacket seems like it will work, but the Fatigue has a hood which is a added bonus. Both are on sale.

Can anyone with the fatigue chime in?

Originally Posted by corsairjuly
The Cadet jacket is a very lightweight jacket, and isn't as slim as I'd like for it to be. The shoulders fit me fine, but it's a bit looser in the body than I'd like.

Not bad for a breezy autumn day, but definitely not for winter, depending on where you live.

Additionally, I picked up the one in black, and it's been steadily fading into this dark green color. Kind of interesting.

NinjaPirate

Reaction score
just got the authentic pea coat with the 30% off and free shipping. the thing is atrocious. i expected better for the price that they charge. even the crappy kenneth cole one i used to own for ~$100 was higher quality than this. body was too loose, and arms were too short, even though a sales rep told me it was a slimmer fit. it felt cheap and like cardboard.
frown.gif

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I love my j. crew peacoat. I think it's pretty awesome. I was comparing it with an authentic (Navy) jacket some guy at my gf's work was wearing. His was bulky by comparison, and he liked the details mine has.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
I love my j. crew peacoat. I think it's pretty awesome. I was comparing it with an authentic (Navy) jacket some guy at my gf's work was wearing. His was bulky by comparison, and he liked the details mine has.

+1

I've tried on many a peacoat and J. Crew fit the best.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same I like my J Crew peacoat. The sleeves were short for me but that doesnt make it a bad peacoat and I just extended the sleeves by a tailor. Simple enough. It's perfect now.

Ninja maybe you have the wrong size.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HOT Sriracha
Thanks for the responses! I live in Northern California, so it doesn't get that cold, but does get rainy. I do plan on using this jacket year round. The Cadet jacket seems like it will work, but the Fatigue has a hood which is a added bonus. Both are on sale. Can anyone with the fatigue chime in?
I'm in N.Cal myself when I'm not in school and either will work. Just depends if you want a hood.

NinjaPirate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clarksdb
Same I like my J Crew peacoat. The sleeves were short for me but that doesnt make it a bad peacoat and I just extended the sleeves by a tailor. Simple enough. It's perfect now.

Ninja maybe you have the wrong size.

my other pea coat is a large, but it's fitted (not really slim, but somewhere between slim and regular). it fits me well. this thing is medium, and it feels like i am wearing a potato sack. the body part was very loose. i'd say by a couple of inches. i was thinking of trying for a small, but the sleeves on the medium are already short, and feel tight in the arm holes when i hold my arms parallel to my body, so i can't see how a the small would help. like i said, i am not pleased with the overall quality of the coat, so it will be going back. like i said - i expected more for what they charge for this coat.

jsallen10

Reaction score
has anyone tried shortening the length of the peacoat? i got a small and the shoulders fit perfectly, body is a bit loose and length is a little long. Should I just get an XS? Maybe that will cut down on tailoring costs? Just worrying the shoulders won't fit...

Also, I didnt know the pockets were sewed shut...

admerr

Reaction score
Just picked up the Mayfair topcoat today in black. Got it for the 30% off price plus an addtional 20% off they are doing in texas today. Total came out to $213. Not a bad deal at all.

david3558

Reaction score
Picked up the brown Field Mechanics jacket, it's really nice. I got it for $135 (after 30% + 25% off) at the Men's Shop in Boston. It's lined with Thermore Ecodown and it was surprisingly warm considering how thin the jacket is compared to a standard insulated jacket; was able to stay relatively warm with a thin button down underneath in 26 degree weather
biggrin.gif

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by david3558
Picked up the brown Field Mechanics jacket, it's really nice. I got it for $135 (after 30% + 25% off) at the Men's Shop in Boston. It's lined with Thermore Ecodown and it was surprisingly warm considering how thin the jacket is compared to a standard insulated jacket; was able to stay relatively warm with a thin button down underneath in 26 degree weather
biggrin.gif

Any idea until when this sale will last?

pokey07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jsallen10
has anyone tried shortening the length of the peacoat? i got a small and the shoulders fit perfectly, body is a bit loose and length is a little long. Should I just get an XS? Maybe that will cut down on tailoring costs? Just worrying the shoulders won't fit...

Also, I didnt know the pockets were sewed shut...

i hope you can because I plan on doing it this weekend. The only problem I see coming up is if you shorten it too much it'll look weird in comparison to button placement. I had to buy the large cause my shoulders and arms didn't fit in medium with a sweater on. With the L, the chest is a little loose and like you said length is too long.

david3558

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES
Any idea until when this sale will last?

The outerwear sale ends tonight but I think the storewide 25% is still in effect. (Only sure of Boston's though)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads