• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Isaia Tonic 2-Ply?

Splendour

Reaction score
I recently added a gray Isaia suit tagged as "Tonic 2-Ply" for spring and summer wear. I'm familiar with lustrous "tonik" (or "tonic" by some) suits, but that doesn't seem to apply. My guess is that the cloth was built by twisting two different shades of gray together, but I'm really not sure. Anyone actually know what Isaia's Tonic 2-Ply label means?

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does is say it's part mohair?

simondg

Reaction score
:

Isaia is also giving classic textiles a contemporary edge. He favors the look of vintage suit textiles but dislikes their heavy appearance and feel. His solution has been to scour a century's worth of mill archives to find bold checks, stripes, and plaids that he can reproduce in lighter-weight materials and modern color combinations, such as this fall's Napoli blue, bright orange, tan, and various shades of gray. Moreover, he translated the traditional, heavy Falkland Island wool—a popular fabric for overcoats in the 1930s—into a lighter-weight cloth called Tonic for his new collection.

Uncorroborated, so use at your own risk.

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about this as well. I have a navy Isaia Base S that also has a lighter blue woven into it in a nailhead sort of pattern. It is also described as "tonic" but is 100% wool. So it may be sourced from Los Malvinas wool? It is a fairly light 3-season fabric.
OP, what does your fabric look like?
Simon, where did you get your info?

Last edited:

simondg

Reaction score
Kobalto:

Article: "A Material Difference" Robb Report, September 2008

Would be interesting if wool is sourced from Los Malvinas/Falklands! Would definitely like to hear more.

Last edited:

emc894

Reaction score
That exact suit was selling on Ebay for around $700 about a week ago. The only reason I did not bite was because it was drop 8 and that is pretty tight on my legs. It looks great though.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.