• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

coldsalmon

Reaction score
I recently purchased a navy suit from Suitsupply, made from their Traveller wool. I also purchased a Traveller shirt, which is made from cotton. I think they are pretty good, and they achieve their goals.

Here is a post of me wearing the suit on a 90 degree F day:

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...arting-may-2014.394373/page-3750#post-9371432

Another post with the suit:

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...arting-may-2014.394373/page-3757#post-9380843

And here I am wearing the suit and shirt together:

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...arting-may-2014.394373/page-3769#post-9395516

Here are links to the suit and shirt:

https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/sui...cgid=Suits&prefn1=materialID&prefv1=traveller

https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/shi...gid=Shirts&prefn1=materialID&prefv1=traveller

Why does Traveller fabric exist?

It is designed to solve practical problems that occur when we wear suits and shirts in less-than-ideal situations. It is lightweight and breathable, and also wrinkle-resistant. I have found that it lives up to this description. The salesmen say that it sheds water but I've yet to test that.

Who would buy this suit?

Someone who occasionally needs to wear a suit in crappy circumstances, or wants this to be their only suit/jacket. Sometimes your Big Important Meeting will happen on a day when it's 90F, raining hard, and you have to sit in a train/plane/car for hours to get there. This suit is prepared. It is completely unlined, and the fabric is very breathable (you can see plenty of light if you hold it up), so you don't have to worry about arriving at your destination soaked in sweat. It is certainly my coolest-wearing suit. The trousers are sold separately, so you can treat them roughly without worrying about ruining a whole suit. And, the wrinkle resistance means that you don't have to worry about looking like a baked potato by the time you get to where you're going. Basically, you can wear it to the Big Important Meeting without your suit becoming an additional problem you have to manage.

The jacket is also designed to be versatile enough to wear as a separate jacket or as a suit. This is good for people who don't want or need lots of different suits/jackets. It also gives you additional insurance against destroying the trousers on those rainy/snowy/icy days. Sure it's not an ideal navy blazer, but the fabric has some texture to it, so it can work as a passable odd jacket. It's somewhere between hopsack and worsted. You can get the jacket with patch or flap pockets, depending on whether you want a blazer that works as a suit in a pinch, or a suit that works as a blazer in a pinch.

As for the fit, it's the same as any other Suitsupply Havana jacket. These tend to fit me well. Your results might be different depending on how much you resemble the dudes on the Suitsupply website.

Of course, there are downsides and compromises. Most notably, the fabric feels very rough. This is not a "luxurious" garment. It's an off-the-rack suit for the working man. Thus, there is probably not a place for it in the closets of many SF iGents. Personally, I don't mind the fabric. I like the visual texture, and it feels just fine against my skin as I wear it.

What about the shirt?

I like the shirt a lot. It's very lightweight and wears very cool. It's also very easy to iron, which means that it's very easy for your cleaner to press. Usually my poplin shirts come back from the cleaner with a little wrinkle here and there, but the Traveller shirt was pristine. It can get through the day without picking up many creases, but it is not completely wrinkle-proof, so it will get a few wrinkles if you wear it hard. Unlike the suit, the shirt fabric feels soft and pleasant; it's actually my favorite shirt fabric (but I don't have any super-expensive luxury shirts, so I'm comparing it to regular Brooks Brothers and TM Lewin shirts). It's 100% cotton, and the wrinkle resistance comes from the way the threads are twisted or something, so it is not treated with formaldehyde like a non-iron shirt. The fabric also has some subtle texture to it, which I like.

There are currently not many Traveller shirts in extra slim fit, so I got a slim fit and added darts for an extra $8. Their extra slim fit shirts are actually a bit tight for me in the arms, so this was probably the best choice for me anyhow. The fit happens to be quite good for me, but this will obviously vary depending on your own body. The fact that the shirts only come in two fits will mean that many people just won't be able to find a good fit.

Conclusion

I like the suit. It's a solid navy workhorse that fits me well. I can wear it without worrying about it. It's not my best-looking suit (that would be my solid charoal from Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole), but it does look good - about as good as any other suit from Suitsupply. I would recommend it to anyone who might have to wear a conservative business suit in bad/hot weather.

The shirt has similar qualities to the suit, and I also like the fabric.

Finally, here are two more photos of the suit and shirt in "less than ideal" circumstances:

IMG_20180711_174319.jpg
IMG_20180711_181449.jpg

AP251

Reaction score
I love the traveler suits, have one in gray and navy and work perfect w the weather I'm in.. 120 degrees normal in summer
very breathable, dressy fit, do not get hot as much while conducting work

AP251

Reaction score
I recently purchased a navy suit from Suitsupply, made from their Traveller wool. I also purchased a Traveller shirt, which is made from cotton. I think they are pretty good, and they achieve their goals.

Here is a post of me wearing the suit on a 90 degree F day:

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...arting-may-2014.394373/page-3750#post-9371432

Another post with the suit:

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...arting-may-2014.394373/page-3757#post-9380843

And here I am wearing the suit and shirt together:

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...arting-may-2014.394373/page-3769#post-9395516

Here are links to the suit and shirt:

https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/sui...cgid=Suits&prefn1=materialID&prefv1=traveller

https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/shi...gid=Shirts&prefn1=materialID&prefv1=traveller

Why does Traveller fabric exist?

It is designed to solve practical problems that occur when we wear suits and shirts in less-than-ideal situations. It is lightweight and breathable, and also wrinkle-resistant. I have found that it lives up to this description. The salesmen say that it sheds water but I've yet to test that.

Who would buy this suit?

Someone who occasionally needs to wear a suit in crappy circumstances, or wants this to be their only suit/jacket. Sometimes your Big Important Meeting will happen on a day when it's 90F, raining hard, and you have to sit in a train/plane/car for hours to get there. This suit is prepared. It is completely unlined, and the fabric is very breathable (you can see plenty of light if you hold it up), so you don't have to worry about arriving at your destination soaked in sweat. It is certainly my coolest-wearing suit. The trousers are sold separately, so you can treat them roughly without worrying about ruining a whole suit. And, the wrinkle resistance means that you don't have to worry about looking like a baked potato by the time you get to where you're going. Basically, you can wear it to the Big Important Meeting without your suit becoming an additional problem you have to manage.

The jacket is also designed to be versatile enough to wear as a separate jacket or as a suit. This is good for people who don't want or need lots of different suits/jackets. It also gives you additional insurance against destroying the trousers on those rainy/snowy/icy days. Sure it's not an ideal navy blazer, but the fabric has some texture to it, so it can work as a passable odd jacket. It's somewhere between hopsack and worsted. You can get the jacket with patch or flap pockets, depending on whether you want a blazer that works as a suit in a pinch, or a suit that works as a blazer in a pinch.

As for the fit, it's the same as any other Suitsupply Havana jacket. These tend to fit me well. Your results might be different depending on how much you resemble the dudes on the Suitsupply website.

Of course, there are downsides and compromises. Most notably, the fabric feels very rough. This is not a "luxurious" garment. It's an off-the-rack suit for the working man. Thus, there is probably not a place for it in the closets of many SF iGents. Personally, I don't mind the fabric. I like the visual texture, and it feels just fine against my skin as I wear it.

What about the shirt?

I like the shirt a lot. It's very lightweight and wears very cool. It's also very easy to iron, which means that it's very easy for your cleaner to press. Usually my poplin shirts come back from the cleaner with a little wrinkle here and there, but the Traveller shirt was pristine. It can get through the day without picking up many creases, but it is not completely wrinkle-proof, so it will get a few wrinkles if you wear it hard. Unlike the suit, the shirt fabric feels soft and pleasant; it's actually my favorite shirt fabric (but I don't have any super-expensive luxury shirts, so I'm comparing it to regular Brooks Brothers and TM Lewin shirts). It's 100% cotton, and the wrinkle resistance comes from the way the threads are twisted or something, so it is not treated with formaldehyde like a non-iron shirt. The fabric also has some subtle texture to it, which I like.

There are currently not many Traveller shirts in extra slim fit, so I got a slim fit and added darts for an extra $8. Their extra slim fit shirts are actually a bit tight for me in the arms, so this was probably the best choice for me anyhow. The fit happens to be quite good for me, but this will obviously vary depending on your own body. The fact that the shirts only come in two fits will mean that many people just won't be able to find a good fit.

Conclusion

I like the suit. It's a solid navy workhorse that fits me well. I can wear it without worrying about it. It's not my best-looking suit (that would be my solid charoal from Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole), but it does look good - about as good as any other suit from Suitsupply. I would recommend it to anyone who might have to wear a conservative business suit in bad/hot weather.

The shirt has similar qualities to the suit, and I also like the fabric.

Finally, here are two more photos of the suit and shirt in "less than ideal" circumstances:

View attachment 1007395 View attachment 1007396

where did you get that tie if you don't mind me asking

coldsalmon

Reaction score
where did you get that tie if you don't mind me asking
It's Eton brand, purchased from Century 21. It instantly became one of my favorite ties. Thanks for noticing!

JettStyle

Reaction score
I will have to try the Traveler. I have liked everything that I have purchased at SS. Their jackets fit me better than anything else OTR.

SS 376

Reaction score
Thanks for writing this up! I'll have to take a look. I wasn't thrilled with the feel of the Traveller fabric when I handled one in-store but there are so many muggy days in the District that maybe I just need to bite the bullet...

hopsack74

Reaction score
@coldsalmon In my previous experience with a particular traveler fabric from Tollegno, the weave was very open and see through when you hold up against light. In fact, my white shirt would show through the fabric when I wore the jacket and thus I returned the suit. I know your suit isn't made with Tollegno's fabric, but was just curious how open is this fabric and does the your shirt show through the back of the jacket?

coldsalmon

Reaction score
@coldsalmon In my previous experience with a particular traveler fabric from Tollegno, the weave was very open and see through when you hold up against light. In fact, my white shirt would show through the fabric when I wore the jacket and thus I returned the suit. I know your suit isn't made with Tollegno's fabric, but was just curious how open is this fabric and does the your shirt show through the back of the jacket?
The wave is very open and I can see lots of light when I hold it up. I don't think it would show a white shirt through the back, but I can check when I get home.

hopsack74

Reaction score
The wave is very open and I can see lots of light when I hold it up. I don't think it would show a white shirt through the back, but I can check when I get home.

The trousers of that Tollegno fabric suit I spoke of above was equally see through where one could see the white underwear silhouette from the rear of the pants as well. A white shirt or white underwear just stood out from behind the navy Tollegno fabric like crazy. If the Suitsupply fabric doesn't have those see through characteristics, I may have to order one as well. Thanks in advance for checking your suit tonight. Much appreciated.

nicholasjohn

Reaction score
I had one of these suits a few years ago, I wore the hell out of it for nearly a whole summer and it lasted fairly well. I got rid of it recently as it had started to get a bit shiny and nasty and I sat in some chewing gum which is a sure fire way to write off a pair of pants.

coldsalmon

Reaction score
The trousers of that Tollegno fabric suit I spoke of above was equally see through where one could see the white underwear silhouette from the rear of the pants as well. A white shirt or white underwear just stood out from behind the navy Tollegno fabric like crazy. If the Suitsupply fabric doesn't have those see through characteristics, I may have to order one as well. Thanks in advance for checking your suit tonight. Much appreciated.
Better late than never. I can't see a white shirt through the fabric. Here's a photo of me holding a white shirt under the back of the jacket, in indirect sunlight.
174A7DC9-B806-47F7-8B8C-6D8D3BBAE35C.jpeg

coldsalmon

Reaction score
Thanks to a possible court appearance, I got the chance to test the Traveller suit in heavy rain today. In short, it performed well and dried quickly.

Here's a shot of the trousers outside in the rain, from underneath my umbrella. (The shoes are Tate chukkas from Allen Edmonds treated with Obenauf's.)
F5651011-FC37-4A2C-9752-EE9FEC4FAE64.jpeg

Going down the subway stairs, I got splashed with some water when I closed my umbrella. But I was able it just brush it off with my hand since it didn't seem to soak into the fabric immediately.
C3C68E2A-9E63-444E-85FB-DFF0B5E271B0.jpeg
5AD26963-42A6-49CC-B87B-B485FBE46DE5.jpeg

Here are the trousers after walking down the subway platform, and then after wiping off the rain with my hands.
94D26330-F66B-40FD-9044-2DD91A5F8A79.jpeg
F0827353-17F3-4444-ACC9-0AF4E5E4E6F1.jpeg

As you can see, the rain soaked into the trousers a bit since they were exposed to the water for longer than the jacket. But 17 minutes later, after the first leg of my commute, they were almost completely dry.
8FDBEEAF-9EE2-4BF8-A234-C1E762C0EE14.jpeg
Only the cuff was a bit damp to the touch, but this was not visibly apparent. As you can see, they dried faster than my shoes, which still had some dropelts on them.

I'm quite happy with this fabric's performance in the rain. Obviously I'm not rolling around in puddles or anything, but it can shrug off walking a few blocks in heavy rain, or getting splashed with water, and that's very valuable to me.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a SS Traveler yesterday and am hoping hard that the in-store tailor can get rid of the neck roll as promised. I warned them I’m only going to take it if I’m perfectly happy with that and they said no problem. Let’s see. :paranoia:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads