Is this an acceptable Job interview ensemble?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asphaltninja, Dec 30, 2008.

1. asphaltninja

asphaltninja New Member

Last semester of school is coming up so I'm prepping myself to brave the interview circuit. With the economy the way it is, i'll probably be out there a while so I want to ensure my look isn't hurting my chances. I'm a n00b and don't have much cash so go easy on me.

I went with
    this suit

a shirt that's very similar to this one
    [​IMG]

and this tie.
    [​IMG]

Again I didn't have a ton of cash to burn and am in the embryo stage of the transition from sports jerseys and stonewashed jeans to corporate attire. At this point I want to work on not looking like a clown and I'll take it from there. Input would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

2. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

yes

3. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

Very good, but a white shirt would be even better/safer. For shoes, well polished, black cap-toe oxfords with leather soles would be optimum.

4. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

Very good, but a white shirt would be even better/safer. For shoes, well polished, black cap-toe oxfords with leather soles would be optimum.

Also, what does it matter if the shoes are leather soled?

5. hamish5178

hamish5178 Senior member

chunky rubber soles look bad?

6. unjung

unjung Senior member

+1 on white in North America. Make sure it's well pressed/ironed. And make sure it fits you.

The navy suit was the right call.

You're probably not going to buy that exact tie, but if you are, I recommend you take a look for something with thicker fabric. I have seen that exact tie and have a very similar TH tie, and it is very thin (in terms of thickness, not width). Hard to tie a proper knot. I would not buy it unless you find it in the bargain bin for under $20. It is possible to find better ties that have a bit more weight to them, in the same bargain bin price range.

7. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

from someone who does corporate recruiting 3 months out of the year, my advice would be to make sure your clothing does not stand out or be memorable in any way other than to make you look neat, clean and professional. stay away from wild colors, hairstyles, shoes, or anything like that, and your clothes shouldn't be shoddy or too expensive.

the combo you showed is more than acceptable.

8. tlmusic

tlmusic Senior member

Tie style is good--I also vote for a solid white shirt if you are trying to play it safe.

9. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

You must be joking. Someone with your experience has no business asking that question.

10. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

from someone who does corporate recruiting 3 months out of the year, my advice would be to make sure your clothing does not stand out or be memorable in any way other than to make you look neat, clean and professional. stay away from wild colors, hairstyles, shoes, or anything like that, and your clothes shouldn't be shoddy or too expensive. the combo you showed is more than acceptable.
    This is good advice.

11. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

+1 on white in North America. Make sure it's well pressed/ironed. And make sure it fits you. The navy suit was the right call. You're probably not going to buy that exact tie, but if you are, I recommend you take a look for something with thicker fabric. I have seen that exact tie and have a very similar TH tie, and it is very thin (in terms of thickness, not width). Hard to tie a proper knot. I would not buy it unless you find it in the bargain bin for under $20. It is possible to find better ties that have a bit more weight to them, in the same bargain bin price range.
    The navy solid is an excellent choice for the gentleman's first business suit. The tie shown is very nice, but if the OP is going to change, a navy pin-dot, maroon solid, or BB#1 would be hard to beat.

12. asphaltninja

asphaltninja New Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I've decided to opt for a white shirt, and I have a nice pair of black cap toe oxfords I purchased recently.

Hopefully everything works out, and I become successful enough to be able to seek you guys advice with a loftier budget.

Cheers.

13. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

Shirt could be a lighter blue.

14. Astan

Astan Senior member

is it ok to wear a 3 piece to an interview?

15. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

is it ok to wear a 3 piece to an interview?

Not unless it's for a creative job.