• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

    Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

    Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this an acceptable Job interview ensemble?

asphaltninja

New Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2008
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Last semester of school is coming up so I'm prepping myself to brave the interview circuit. With the economy the way it is, i'll probably be out there a while so I want to ensure my look isn't hurting my chances. I'm a n00b and don't have much cash so go easy on me.

I went with
this suit

a shirt that's very similar to this one
pul7007.jpg


and this tie.
f0e6_1.JPG


Again I didn't have a ton of cash to burn and am in the embryo stage of the transition from sports jerseys and stonewashed jeans to corporate attire. At this point I want to work on not looking like a clown and I'll take it from there. Input would be greatly appreciated.
smile.gif
 

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2007
Messages
1,341
Reaction score
22
Very good, but a white shirt would be even better/safer. For shoes, well polished, black cap-toe oxfords with leather soles would be optimum.
 

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
4,304
Reaction score
48
Originally Posted by Orsini
Very good, but a white shirt would be even better/safer. For shoes, well polished, black cap-toe oxfords with leather soles would be optimum.

Also, what does it matter if the shoes are leather soled?
 

unjung

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2008
Messages
6,346
Reaction score
13
+1 on white in North America. Make sure it's well pressed/ironed. And make sure it fits you.

The navy suit was the right call.

You're probably not going to buy that exact tie, but if you are, I recommend you take a look for something with thicker fabric. I have seen that exact tie and have a very similar TH tie, and it is very thin (in terms of thickness, not width). Hard to tie a proper knot. I would not buy it unless you find it in the bargain bin for under $20. It is possible to find better ties that have a bit more weight to them, in the same bargain bin price range.
 

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 28, 2008
Messages
24,976
Reaction score
15,820
from someone who does corporate recruiting 3 months out of the year, my advice would be to make sure your clothing does not stand out or be memorable in any way other than to make you look neat, clean and professional. stay away from wild colors, hairstyles, shoes, or anything like that, and your clothes shouldn't be shoddy or too expensive.

the combo you showed is more than acceptable.
 

tlmusic

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2008
Messages
928
Reaction score
8
Tie style is good--I also vote for a solid white shirt if you are trying to play it safe.
 

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2007
Messages
1,341
Reaction score
22
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Also, what does it matter if the shoes are leather soled?
You must be joking. Someone with your experience has no business asking that question.
 

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2007
Messages
1,341
Reaction score
22
Originally Posted by HRoi
from someone who does corporate recruiting 3 months out of the year, my advice would be to make sure your clothing does not stand out or be memorable in any way other than to make you look neat, clean and professional. stay away from wild colors, hairstyles, shoes, or anything like that, and your clothes shouldn't be shoddy or too expensive. the combo you showed is more than acceptable.
This is good advice.
 

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2007
Messages
1,341
Reaction score
22
Originally Posted by unjung
+1 on white in North America. Make sure it's well pressed/ironed. And make sure it fits you. The navy suit was the right call. You're probably not going to buy that exact tie, but if you are, I recommend you take a look for something with thicker fabric. I have seen that exact tie and have a very similar TH tie, and it is very thin (in terms of thickness, not width). Hard to tie a proper knot. I would not buy it unless you find it in the bargain bin for under $20. It is possible to find better ties that have a bit more weight to them, in the same bargain bin price range.
The navy solid is an excellent choice for the gentleman's first business suit. The tie shown is very nice, but if the OP is going to change, a navy pin-dot, maroon solid, or BB#1 would be hard to beat.
 

asphaltninja

New Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2008
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the input everyone. I've decided to opt for a white shirt, and I have a nice pair of black cap toe oxfords I purchased recently.

Hopefully everything works out, and I become successful enough to be able to seek you guys advice with a loftier budget.

Cheers.
 

Astan

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2008
Messages
795
Reaction score
12
is it ok to wear a 3 piece to an interview?
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

  • Peacoat

  • Great coat

  • Trench

  • Mac

  • Chesterfield

  • Duffle coat

  • Topcoat

  • Shearling

  • Balmacaan

  • Parka

  • Loden

  • Car coat


Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
497,127
Messages
10,516,074
Members
221,774
Latest member
CAKEY68
Top