Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Is this an acceptable Job interview ensemble?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asphaltninja, Dec 30, 2008.

1. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

is it ok to wear a 3 piece to an interview?

Unless your bosses dress like Label King, no.

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I'd hire someone based on their sartorial acumen.

3. rs232

rs232 Senior member

Just make sure you don't sit through the interview on the crooked on the chair edge with a strange expression like that suit model does! Good luck.

4. 3orangewhips

3orangewhips Well-Known Member

5. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Just curious as to why your clothes looking too expensive would put prospective employers off you?

6. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

is it ok to wear a 3 piece to an interview?
    Probably not for the first interview. Possibly for the third, screening, interview with "Mr. Big."

7. Lucky7

Lucky7 Senior member

Just curious as to why your clothes looking too expensive would put prospective employers off you?

Just my $.02 but when hiring someone if the clothes looked too expensive the employer may think that the prospect spends too much of his/her time worrying about clothes than work? Also some employers may be a tad bit jealous...before going out on my own my prior boss broke my balls (not in a funny way) about my Mercedes...it's not my fault he has a shitty car.

8. PocketCircle

PocketCircle Senior member

I don't think many people would be interested in rhino skin this, gorilla skin that clothes to be hired by you.

9. millionaire75

millionaire75 Senior member

Just my $.02 but when hiring someone if the clothes looked too expensive the employer may think that the prospect spends too much of his/her time worrying about clothes than work? Also some employers may be a tad bit jealous...before going out on my own my prior boss broke my balls (not in a funny way) about my Mercedes...it's not my fault he has a shitty car.

I can't tell you how much of that sort of thing I see in my job....makes my blood boil.

10. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

The question is, would they hire you?

11. TowleY

TowleY Senior member

You must be joking. Someone with your experience has no business asking that question.

Check out this on information on the soles
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=1248

As for the suit. Blue shirt is fine, white shirts in my opinion are always better. Im a white guy, or black guy myself. Never really where anything inbeween. Then again im only 18 haha. I have other color dress shirts but still always favor the white or black. However the black is much more for a "Club" attire so I would not reccomend that for an interview. Anything to impress someone should be white. Then I would go with blue. Nice dress overall however considering you just made the transition. I am probably going to have to make that transition oon too haha.

Just out of curiosity, what type of job are you applying/getting interviewed for?

Edit: Also think of it like this. If you were the boss, interviewing someone. What would make you more impressed. A person whereing what colors, what type of shoes, what jacket color, tie color. Etc. Think of what would make you want o hire the person.

12. asphaltninja

asphaltninja New Member

Check out this on information on the soles
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=1248

As for the suit. Blue shirt is fine, white shirts in my opinion are always better. Im a white guy, or black guy myself. Never really where anything inbeween. Then again im only 18 haha. I have other color dress shirts but still always favor the white or black. However the black is much more for a "Club" attire so I would not reccomend that for an interview. Anything to impress someone should be white. Then I would go with blue. Nice dress overall however considering you just made the transition. I am probably going to have to make that transition oon too haha.

Just out of curiosity, what type of job are you applying/getting interviewed for?

I'm a Computer Science major, so I'd be interviewing for something dealing with programming/IT/software engineering in some capacity.

13. unjung

unjung Senior member

As for the suit. Blue shirt is fine, white shirts in my opinion are always better. Im a white guy, or black guy myself. Never really where anything inbeween.

I don't know the consensus on black dress shirts, but I'm going to assume most, like me, are not in favour. Reminds me of wait-staff. Worse yet is the white tie over a black shirt. The tie must be darker than the shirt.

White shirts are the basic standard in North America. From there, depending on skin colour, one should try checks, stripes, pinks and blues and ecru, then perhaps branch out.

14. TowleY

TowleY Senior member

I don't know the consensus on black dress shirts, but I'm going to assume most, like me, are not in favour. Reminds me of wait-staff. Worse yet is the white tie over a black shirt. The tie must be darker than the shirt.

White shirts are the basic standard in North America. From there, depending on skin colour, one should try checks, stripes, pinks and blues and ecru, then perhaps branch out.

Agreed, the next sentence I stated that black shirts I would use more for a club, not an interview [​IMG]
    Very nice asphalt, good luck with it. Trust me you came to the right place for advice on your clothing haha.

White shirts over blue, blue over black. Thats how I would go. Even though I do favor black over blue.

15. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

I'm a Computer Science major, so I'd be interviewing for something dealing with programming/IT/software engineering in some capacity.
    I guess it depends on whether or not you are interviewing at a technology firm (e.g. MS or Google), or a place that utilizes technology (a non-IT industry company), or an IT consulting firm (e.g. Accenture). For the first category, I doubt they would very much care -- well, maybe MS, for the more senior positions. I've had friends show up at Google interviews in jeans (or worse) and make it, so there's that. If it is a non-IT company that merely hires technology people (as they would folks for finance, accounting etc.) then it is different. You may need to dress appropriately to that industry, and that company. If it is an IT consulting firm, some kind of formal business wear is considered appropriate -- although from what I've seen, IT consulting firms aren't as gung ho on appearance as other kinds of consulting firms.