Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Is there any hell worse than moving?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by haganah, Dec 29, 2010.

1. haganah

haganah Senior member

I'd rather spend a month getting waterboarded at Gitmo. I cancelled my vacation plans due to a snow storm and figured what the heck, since I'm sitting at home, I can pack everything on my own. Never again, never again.

2. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

Yes, helping a woman move.

3. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

actually, helping others move is easier. I don't really give a shit about their stuff.

and no, there is no worse hell...

4. SField

SField Senior member

Two things I learned from having moved several times in my life;

1) Hire professionals
    2) Own less things

5. cchen

cchen Senior member

1) Hire professionals
    2) Own less things

+1. every time i move or pack up my stuff, i vow to stop buying things.

6. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

+1. I own stuff that will all fit in a total of 3 bags. Books are another story, but they can be stored/shipped easily.

7. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

actually, helping others move is easier. I don't really give a shit about their stuff.

and no, there is no worse hell...

+1. When it's a friend, I show up, lift boxes, etc and drink beer!

8. runner-guy

runner-guy Senior member

Yeah moving definitely sucks ass. When I moved my wife into my condo right before we got married, I had to drive a U-Haul truck with bald tires during an ice storm. That was fun.

9. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

last friend that i helped move...it was early jan....his wife sukked ass......didn't want him to buy us some beers during the day(i actually bought some), they were only 3/5 fully packed....and she sat around playing with their son. she actually had the nerve to ask us "when will we be done!"

10. MrG

MrG Senior member

There are worse hells, but not many. I loathe moving, and I seem to have a penchant for moving in the hottest part of the summer, which is a nightmare given I've spent the entirety of my life in the deepest of the Deep South.

1) Hire professionals
    2) Own less things

Another +1.

For my last couple of moves I've hired movers just for the big stuff, and even that seemingly small bit of help was huge.

11. v.freeman

v.freeman Senior member

Been packing all day and getting ready to move out of my apartment tomorrow. I feel for you, it is quite horrible and I barely have anything. Surprisingly, clothes end up weighing more than you might think for shipping. [​IMG]

12. SField

SField Senior member

I always just buy a new bed/mattress when I move. I still haven't invested in a very expensive bed or mattress... just a couple thousand bucks to me is worth avoiding the pain of moving.

My only possessions are a few antiques, my cooking stuff, some art, books and DVDs. As a minimalist, I am strongly considering going digital with all my films/books... then donating my whole Criterion collection to some university. The less space my things take up the better, as I'm bound to keep accumulating stuff.

Now if I moved, it would be a bitch. I have furniture that I woudn't want to donate/throw out. I am strongly considering moving within Chicago though, but that won't really be that big of a pain I don't think, if I have professional help.

13. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

couple thousand for a bed?

that's more than an entire local moving service costs

14. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

couple thousand for a bed? that's more than an entire local moving service costs
    +1 I've done full service cross country moves for less than $3k.

15. haganah

haganah Senior member

I always just buy a new bed/mattress when I move. I still haven't invested in a very expensive bed or mattress... just a couple thousand bucks to me is worth avoiding the pain of moving.

My only possessions are a few antiques, my cooking stuff, some art, books and DVDs. As a minimalist, I am strongly considering going digital with all my films/books... then donating my whole Criterion collection to some university. The less space my things take up the better, as I'm bound to keep accumulating stuff.

Now if I moved, it would be a bitch. I have furniture that I woudn't want to donate/throw out. I am strongly considering moving within Chicago though, but that won't really be that big of a pain I don't think, if I have professional help.

I tried to list all my furniture so someone would buy it and I could just call the stores and have them deliver new shit to me. No go. Bed bugs have ruined craigslist shopping even for nice furniture. And I called the movers to see if they'd be willing to send a couple people over for a few hours to do the packing after I'd already cancelled it - no go, they are booked solid.

Even finding boxes is a pain in the ass. I hate life right now.