• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

    The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

    If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Is there any hell worse than moving?

haganah

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
6,351
Reaction score
30
I'd rather spend a month getting waterboarded at Gitmo. I cancelled my vacation plans due to a snow storm and figured what the heck, since I'm sitting at home, I can pack everything on my own. Never again, never again.
 

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Messages
2,215
Reaction score
54
actually, helping others move is easier. I don't really give a shit about their stuff.

and no, there is no worse hell...
 

SField

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
24
Two things I learned from having moved several times in my life;

1) Hire professionals
2) Own less things
 

cchen

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2006
Messages
3,065
Reaction score
650
Originally Posted by SField
Two things I learned from having moved several times in my life;

1) Hire professionals
2) Own less things


+1. every time i move or pack up my stuff, i vow to stop buying things.
 

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
1,414
Reaction score
0
+1. I own stuff that will all fit in a total of 3 bags. Books are another story, but they can be stored/shipped easily.
 

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
20,568
Reaction score
3,100
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
actually, helping others move is easier. I don't really give a shit about their stuff.

and no, there is no worse hell...


+1. When it's a friend, I show up, lift boxes, etc and drink beer!
 

runner-guy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2009
Messages
1,092
Reaction score
4
Yeah moving definitely sucks ass. When I moved my wife into my condo right before we got married, I had to drive a U-Haul truck with bald tires during an ice storm. That was fun.
 

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
20,568
Reaction score
3,100
last friend that i helped move...it was early jan....his wife sukked ass......didn't want him to buy us some beers during the day(i actually bought some), they were only 3/5 fully packed....and she sat around playing with their son. she actually had the nerve to ask us "when will we be done!"
 

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 25, 2008
Messages
12,313
Reaction score
4,616
There are worse hells, but not many. I loathe moving, and I seem to have a penchant for moving in the hottest part of the summer, which is a nightmare given I've spent the entirety of my life in the deepest of the Deep South.

Originally Posted by SField
Two things I learned from having moved several times in my life;

1) Hire professionals
2) Own less things


Another +1.

For my last couple of moves I've hired movers just for the big stuff, and even that seemingly small bit of help was huge.
 

v.freeman

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2010
Messages
198
Reaction score
0
Been packing all day and getting ready to move out of my apartment tomorrow. I feel for you, it is quite horrible and I barely have anything. Surprisingly, clothes end up weighing more than you might think for shipping.
 

SField

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
24
I always just buy a new bed/mattress when I move. I still haven't invested in a very expensive bed or mattress... just a couple thousand bucks to me is worth avoiding the pain of moving.

My only possessions are a few antiques, my cooking stuff, some art, books and DVDs. As a minimalist, I am strongly considering going digital with all my films/books... then donating my whole Criterion collection to some university. The less space my things take up the better, as I'm bound to keep accumulating stuff.

Now if I moved, it would be a bitch. I have furniture that I woudn't want to donate/throw out. I am strongly considering moving within Chicago though, but that won't really be that big of a pain I don't think, if I have professional help.
 

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Messages
2,215
Reaction score
54
couple thousand for a bed?

that's more than an entire local moving service costs
 

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2005
Messages
3,916
Reaction score
63
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
couple thousand for a bed? that's more than an entire local moving service costs
+1 I've done full service cross country moves for less than $3k.
 

haganah

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
6,351
Reaction score
30
Originally Posted by SField
I always just buy a new bed/mattress when I move. I still haven't invested in a very expensive bed or mattress... just a couple thousand bucks to me is worth avoiding the pain of moving.

My only possessions are a few antiques, my cooking stuff, some art, books and DVDs. As a minimalist, I am strongly considering going digital with all my films/books... then donating my whole Criterion collection to some university. The less space my things take up the better, as I'm bound to keep accumulating stuff.

Now if I moved, it would be a bitch. I have furniture that I woudn't want to donate/throw out. I am strongly considering moving within Chicago though, but that won't really be that big of a pain I don't think, if I have professional help.


I tried to list all my furniture so someone would buy it and I could just call the stores and have them deliver new shit to me. No go. Bed bugs have ruined craigslist shopping even for nice furniture. And I called the movers to see if they'd be willing to send a couple people over for a few hours to do the packing after I'd already cancelled it - no go, they are booked solid.

Even finding boxes is a pain in the ass. I hate life right now.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

  • Classic Leather Low-Top

  • Canvas Plimsoll

  • Leather Slip-On

  • Canvas Slip-On

  • Athletic Kicks

  • Leather High-Top


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
435,603
Messages
9,357,495
Members
196,352
Latest member
Legaltrans
Top