• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is the suit biz fibbing? Does it matter?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I was pondering the Kiton and Oxxford threads today...it seems a lot of brands exxagerate what the production quality is. We seem to have learned that:

**Kiton may be exxagerating claims of handwork in the chest.

**Oxxford may be exxagerating claims of handwork in the chest and shoulder.

**Perhaps other brands such as Brioni are also exxagerating.

Yet, it appears there are many fans of all three brands on the board. Does the hype matter if the final product is good?

If a Kabbaz shirt can be a mostly machine made product in some ways and still perform well is handwork over-rated?

If handwork is over-rated does a mostly machine made Zegna suit represent a particular value?

What are your thoughts?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the 5th thread on the same topic. nice!
cold[1].gif

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I was pondering the Kiton and Oxxford threads today...it seems a lot of brands exxagerate what the production quality is. We seem to have learned that:

laugh.gif
Just pondering, right?

**Oxxford may be exxagerating claims of handwork in the chest and shoulder.

**Perhaps other brands such as Brioni are also exxagerating.
lol8[1].gif
Kiton only exaggerates in the chest, but Oxxford exaggerates more (chest AND shoulder).

Yet, it appears there are many fans of all three brands on the board. Does the hype matter if the final product is good?

If a Kabbaz shirt can be a mostly machine made product in some ways and still perform well is handwork over-rated?

If handwork is over-rated does a mostly machine made Zegna suit represent a particular value?

What are your thoughts?
I am nearly no expert, but I think there are different types of machine stitches. When we say machine stitch, we imagine very quick sewing machines, but I assume that the machine stitches used in Kiton or others are more close to handmade stitches or try to be close.

In Kiton there are probably skilled tailors (probably not artisan level, but somewhat trained and skilled) using very slow sewing machines that are the closest thing to duplicating a human hand sewn stitch. That would explain the high quality in the garments.

Just like there is a big difference in quality of hand sewn work, there must be a difference (like the difference between Zegna and Kiton) in machine work

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
:

lol8[1].gif
Kiton only exaggerates in the chest, but Oxxford exaggerates more (chest AND shoulder).

Well, it's machine stitching in the shoulder that causes global warming.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
In Kiton there are probably skilled tailors (probably not artisan level, but somewhat trained and skilled) using very slow sewing machines that are the closest thing to duplicating a human hand sewn stitch. That would explain the high quality in the garments.
Are you being serious?

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"If a Kabbaz shirt can be a mostly machine made product in some ways and still perform well (and if handwork is as important in shirts as in suits) is handwork over-rated?"

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

"May." Yeah.

Handwork is much, much more important to a jacket than to a shirt.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Handwork is much, much more important to a jacket than to a shirt.
Well I agree but it seemed like a somewhat useful analogy at the time.

Maybe machines can do straight lines best and maybe even areas where reinforcement is needed but more complex attachments are best done by a trained hand. Something along those lines perhaps...

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you being serious?

Yes.

I am just assuming that with so much machine sewing (as shown in the pictures) that they have to be very good machine stitches (in comparison to say an average Zegna) in order to come up with such a nice garment.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
Yes.

I am just assuming that with so much machine sewing (as shown in the pictures) that they have to be very good machine stitches (in comparison to say an average Zegna) in order to come up with such a nice garment.

Perhaps so. Maybe they are finer stitches or require more accuracy in guiding.

Perhaps we would benefit from a tailor's perspective.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that the value of garments is 3 things: cloth, construction, and style. Various makers have their strengths in these 3 categories but the overall combination is what matters. Perhaps Kiton is best in cloth and style but less so in construction. Maybe Oxxford is best in cloth and construction but lacking in style. What matters is that the makers are strong in all categories. Just an idea.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I think different people have opinions on style so it may come down to personal preference.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
It seems to me that the value of garments is 3 things: cloth, construction, and style. Various makers have their strengths in these 3 categories but the overall combination is what matters. Perhaps Kiton is best in cloth and style but less so in construction. Maybe Oxxford is best in cloth and construction but lacking in style. What matters is that the makers are strong in all categories. Just an idea.

So if you were playing in a fantasy suit league, you'd need some of each to make sure you'd remain competitive in all the categories.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads