• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is american apparel good for anythign else besides T-shirts?

kookydooky

Reaction score
So the first shirt I posted isnt worth it?

I dont have a H&M anywhere near me. But I just discovered an American Apparel shop near me

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enjoy the cardigans, ss leisure shirt, polycotton t's and lame jackets.

I do not like the 100% cotton unisex cut; they dig into my armpits. The pants suck; they really suck.

GahDuma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nyf
Don't get AA polos.

Is anything wrong with AA polos? They're cheap enough and seem to be fitted just like their t shirts. I was planning on getting some.

LookSharp

Reaction score
I find American Apparel a mixed bag. I love their slim slack and own a pair in 'mustard', which have an almost 60s rockstar cut and add a twist to the blazer'n'jeans look with a closely fitted sports jacket with shirt and tie or poloneck with nice dressy shoes. I want a pair of the cords for sure - was drawn to the deep pruple but the black or grey would probably see more use. I was also quite interested with the Oxford shirts they do to access smaller sizes - not dressy enough, really, but could straddle the formal-casual divide if the fit turns out good.

The t-shirts are pretty nicely cut and I like the basic long-sleeve product they do - xs for a fitted look, small for a more standard look. I also try to avoid sweatshop fare as much as possible so for that reason alone the brand scores points.

However, walking round their shop you do tend to think - 'Does anyone want to dress tead to toe in t-shirt fabric?' and some products are just a bit silly. Why would anyone want a tank top made out of fleece fabric? It's just wrong. I also blame them for making every teenage girl suddenly look like an 80s Cyndi Lauper devotee.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GahDuma
Is anything wrong with AA polos? They're cheap

you just answered your own question. the collar is super-weird and they're cut quite peculiar, YMMV though.

2sweet

Reaction score
They tend to use the fit and material of t shirts for all their tops, instead of designing each piece from the ground up as a separate piece.

Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
you just answered your own question. the collar is super-weird and they're cut quite peculiar, YMMV though.

brimley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 2sweet
I remember they sold a black cardigan which generated a 65 page thread on styleforum about a year ago.

The thread was so long because you could buy them for like $4 shipped.

Originally Posted by GahDuma
Is anything wrong with AA polos? They're cheap enough and seem to be fitted just like their t shirts. I was planning on getting some.

Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite

Yeah, the collar on the polos is awful. Definitely go with Gap or discount J Crew before AA here.

I also would avoid all the California Fleece hoodies. The Flex Fleece may be better.

The thermal tees and henleys are awesome if you're tall and/or have long arms.

raginberriodoom

Reaction score
A stuff is definitely cut for tall, skinny, and lanky people like myself. They make some good basics.

From my experience, the flex fleece hoodies at $25 wholesale is a good deal. I have an "evergreen" one, and it's lasted me about a year of pretty hard wear. The only problem with it is that once you wash and dry it, the zipper becomes warped, but it's really unnoticeable when you wear it.

The henleys and thermals are also really nice, but they're cut pretty slim. I'm a small in most brands, and in AA, for all items, I wear M except for S in the tshirts. They're cut long in the arms (one of the only brands so far that cut longer than my sleeve length) and in the torso too, so nice if you are tall.

So in conclusion, +1 tshirts, thermals, henleys, hoodies (flex fleece, otherwise I've heard terrible things). I also have a scarf I bought for 2 dollars that's soft, but kind of useless.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are good for halloween costumes. Namely when you want to dress up as a badminton player.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads