• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

50s-60s Style T-Shirts?

artaud

Reaction score
I've been looking for tees that fit like the ones men used to wear between the 40s and 60s. Specifically, shorter sleeves, slimmer cut and hip length. I find that most if not all modern t-shirts have a fit that is designed to fit the largestt possible amount of people at once, and so it flatters no one. They're far too long (as in they go past your bum), the sleeves are too wide and also long, and the general fit of the shirt is too wide, with some even being wider at your hips than they are at your shoulders.

I did find a useful thread from a couple of years ago on this forum, but the shirts the guy was looking for had sleeves that are a tad too short for my taste. If I had to show an ideal example of the type of shirt I'm looking for, I'd point to the tees that Don Draper wears in Mad Men (I promise I don't want to be Don Draper, I just like how the shirt looks on him), Images Below.

ddtsh.png ddtsh2.png ddtsh3.png ddtsh4.png ddtsh5.png

As you can see, the sleeves are a bit longer than 40s Navy T-shirts, but they're still rather short and slim. You can also see in the last image how the shirt, when untucked, barely touches past his hips. I know they look better on him because he's a muscular man, I'm not trying to have my chest poke out through my shirt, I just want something that fits my body in a flattering way. I tried looking for muscle fit t-shirts, but the way they're marketed, I couldn't even tell if they fit how I want them to.

Any help would be much appreaciated.

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
I have a couple of these (link RMC Cotton summer undershirt). They are pricier, but the fit is very similar to Don Draper's fit you posted (if you choose the right size and have similar body type to him). Maybe they are a bit longer, but still quite short compared to modern t-shirts.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Levi's Vintage Clothing make a 50s style T shirt.

Allevol and The Real McCoy's make boxy retro T shirts

You will be paying for them though!!

I like the heavyweight Uniqlo tees for everyday affordable

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Remember that the sleeves need to be long enough to roll up your pack of Lucky Strikes.

1680300259263.jpeg

Mirage-

Reaction score
It's not what you asked for, but I recommend knitted t-shirts for a refined, vintage-feeling alternative to the usual t-shirts. Also look great untucked, unlike most t-shirts.
Otherwise probably RMC but I find it very hard to justify their prices for something so basic.

Bayou Tiger

Reaction score
I also like that fit and wear the JCrew Broken-in tees. They fit me like the pics above, but for some reason it is hard to tell with the models on the JCrew site. I wear a medium with 40" chest and 32" waist.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads