• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inexpensive but decent quality suits <$700

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
(Patrick Bateman @ May 05 2005,18:09) It's much, much cleaner, 81% versus 14%. http://ny1news.com/ny1/content/index...id=5&aid=50254 That's a BIG difference in my book.
Wow, I always thought that the A and C trains were pretty dirty. Â I only ride the 1 and 9 every now and then when the A and C are down so I haven't really noticed them that much, but that must mean that they are friggin DIRTY.
It has to do with the fact that the 1-9 can be only be cleaned at one end of the subway line (Van Cortlandt Park) due to the circular configuration of the South Ferry station. As evidence, compare 1-9 to the 2-3 (especially the 2 instead of the 3, since the 2 has the newer cars). The 2-3 is usually much better--not perfect, but acceptable most of the time.

PreppyBoy

Reaction score
I take the 4, and the 6 Train. Not Bad. But rush hour on the 4 is the worst. As for Subway Suits, thats something new to me. I wear my suits on train everyday with no problems. Actually, waiting on the Platform in the Summer, and the train arriving with the AC on max, is the highlight of the ride
biggrin.gif

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The subway line I ride, the 1-9, was recently rated the dirtiest subway line in NYC. Something like only 14% of the cars were rated as acceptably clean--not a high standard at all--by the group doing the survey. In terms of the cleanliness and reliability of its trains, the MTA has definitely regressed in the last few years.
And to think, in the past few days you were telling us what a little part of Heaven NYC was as a place to live. How could such a large number of people, unable to afford their own transportation, living in glorified chicken coops, moving about in filth, convince themselves that they are in wonderland?

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Patrick Bateman @ May 05 2005,15:02) The subway line I ride, the 1-9, was recently rated the dirtiest subway line in NYC. Something like only 14% of the cars were rated as acceptably clean--not a high standard at all--by the group doing the survey. In terms of the cleanliness and reliability of its trains, the MTA has definitely regressed in the last few years.
And to think, in the past few days you were telling us what a little part of Heaven NYC was as a place to live. How could such a large number of people, unable to afford their own transportation, living in glorified chicken coops, moving about in filth, convince themselves that they are in wonderland?
Well, I can afford my own transportation (in fact, I own a car) and yet I still ride on the subway, good for the enviroment and all. As to whyI enjoy living in NYC, oh I don't know - it may be to enjoy the diversity of cultures, the cornucorpia of fine restaurants, the excess of great museums, the theatres, clubs and cabarets, etc.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Patrick Bateman @ May 05 2005,18:09) It's much, much cleaner, 81% versus 14%. http://ny1news.com/ny1/content/index...id=5&aid=50254 That's a BIG difference in my book.
Wow, I always thought that the A and C trains were pretty dirty. Â I only ride the 1 and 9 every now and then when the A and C are down so I haven't really noticed them that much, but that must mean that they are friggin DIRTY.
I have to take the C; it sucks. koji

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
(Patrick Bateman @ May 05 2005,15:02) The subway line I ride, the 1-9, was recently rated the dirtiest subway line in NYC. Something like only 14% of the cars were rated as acceptably clean--not a high standard at all--by the group doing the survey. In terms of the cleanliness and reliability of its trains, the MTA has definitely regressed in the last few years.
And to think, in the past few days you were telling us what a little part of Heaven NYC was as a place to live.  How could such a large number of people, unable to afford their own transportation, living in glorified chicken coops, moving about in filth, convince themselves that  they are in wonderland?
You obviously don't realize that it's a point of pride for many New Yorkers to ride in a dirty subway car, pay a lot of money for a small apartment, etc. You have to be much tougher, smarter, and harder-working than the average person just to survive here. Weak people get "voted off the island" pretty quickly. And I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say that many people can't afford their own transportation. A car is not the most convenient method of getting around Manhattan during rush hour. Period. Even when he was a "regular" billionaire (i.e. not yet a politician) Bloomberg still rode the subway every day. What does that tell you?

caledoniasoul2

Reaction score
yes most have ignored my orignal post. But it is freakin funny none the less. so Ill repeat....even if i wanted a fused garment- (heavan forbid) what are you reccomenedatons in this price range.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ride subway all the time and I don't have any &quot;subway&quot; suits. I wear my nice suits regardless whether I'll ride subway or not. I don't feel my clothes getting any dirtier by riding subway. Just make sure the seat are clean before you put your a$$ on it.

cpac

Reaction score
if i wanted a fused garment- (heavan forbid) what are you reccomenedatons in this price range.
This is actually the good question.

Things I'd be interested in hearing about comparitively:

Brooksease
Burberry
Polo (which labels are fused again?)
Abboud? (I put this in because I own one and want to know where it stacks up quality-wise)

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Abboud?  (I put this in because I own one and want to know where it stacks up quality-wise)
Yes, I've got one in the closet, too (pre-forum ebay purchase). I recall it being mentioned some time ago as a good choice for a knockabout suit.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a durable travel suit that you would not feel terrible if it got stained or otherwise beat up, you could get a Lands End suit easily for under $300.00 that would work well.

PreppyBoy

Reaction score
Well, I can afford my own transportation (in fact, I own a car) and yet I still ride on the subway, good for the enviroment and all. As to whyI enjoy living in NYC, oh I don't know - it may be to enjoy the diversity of cultures, the cornucorpia of fine restaurants, the excess of great museums, the theatres, clubs and cabarets, etc.
I agree. Nothing beats variety, and NYC has plenty of it
biggrin.gif

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
I also ride the 1-9 from the Upper West. Dirty nonwithstanding, my problem with it is its size. Its definitely at least a foot or two narrower than the B/C trains that run down the edge of the park, and I dont think the volume is any less.

Most of the clothing subway hazards I run into are from too many people crammed into a small 1/9 car. Shoes get stepped on, buttons get pulled when someone squeezes by, dirty Northface jackets wipe against you, etc. Its all a problem, but it doesnt dissuade me from wearing my nice clothes. I just try to be as careful as I can.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I worked for Bloomberg one summer (business news reporter).  At the time, my only coat was a fused Mens Wearhouse sportcoat (champagne colored).  I wore it with olive or tan wool slacks.  Wearing that getup on the subway never worried me a bit.  Bloomberg stuck me down in the federal and bankruptcy courts, told me to sniff the halls for copy, leads, any sign.  I was dressed better than most of the reporters (not very difficult).  At the Bloomberg headquarters, there was a spiral staircase going between three floors.  Everyone got off at the middle floor and went up or down or stayed on the middle floor.  Anyway, there was a lot of rubbing shoulers on the spiral staircase between copy boys and reporters and the rest, a lot more shoulder rubbing than I ever did on the subway.  Bloomberg seemed like a pretty cool guy.  He invited me to the Harvard club one afternoon, but I had to work.  He seemed to appreciate my excuse.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads