Inexpensive but decent quality suits <$700

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by caledoniasoul2, May 5, 2005.

1. caledoniasoul2

caledoniasoul2 Well-Known Member

I have learned a great deal from this forum about higher quality clothing, and the hallmarks of a better suit, non fused, hand stiched etc. Now that I have accomplished this can someone point to a prior thread or start a new one on a lower end but decent quality product for poor weather. Also for those new yorkers who need a wear like iron subway suit for a day or two each week.

Ihave seen things on the web such as the suits at dann on line, FIH and vavra italy. Any comments on these or other suggestions would be gratly appreciated. As most know syms or centruy 21 is hit or miss....

2. wja

wja Well-Known Member

What's a subway suit?

3. caledoniasoul2

caledoniasoul2 Well-Known Member

a subway suit is for those of us who have to ride the century old method of mass transportation masquerading as public transit in new york city. This of course includes 100 degree heat, spills, and other assorted hazards to your clothing which accrues in close prximity to thousnads of fellow, spillers, vomiters, dirty kids , gum and all that other fun stuff.

stated otherwise, the suit to wear when your scared to wear the brioni....

4. cpac

cpac Senior member

as a fellow straphanger I can only say that you should lighten up a little. There's no point to owning nicer things if you cant wear them regularly.

But more to your question - the regular recommendations are to either look for great deals, whether at c21, a sample sale, filenes, or on ebay. Beyond those, for that price you can get a number of different fused things - but beyond finding a sears-tephlon coated suit, I'm not sure what would make a suit ok for the subway beyond price...

5. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

One thing is for sure on the subway: avoid wearing your nice shoes. I ride the subway every day wearing sneakers and after a few days they start to develop a black grime on them that's difficult to remove. I have no idea where it comes from, so I figure that it must be from the general dirtiness of the place.

6. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

There was a thread on this a few months back - I believe it was linux_pro that started it asking about a &quot;workhorse&quot; suit. I can't remember the resolution of that but there was a lot of discussion as to the type of fabric, color, pattern (or not), etc. Might be useful if someone can find it.

7. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Sounds like the recent Esquire/GQ advice on how to antique your shoes.

8. cpac

cpac Senior member

You guys must be riding different subway lines from me. Sure you can get dirty if you step in puddles or whatever, but neither my suits, nor my shoes get any dirtier from the subway than they would from walking along the streets...

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Cheap but good quality suits, well I have the perfect fit: Donald J. Trump "˜The classiest suits' Jon.

10. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

The subway line I ride, the 1-9, was recently rated the dirtiest subway line in NYC. Something like only 14% of the cars were rated as acceptably clean--not a high standard at all--by the group doing the survey. In terms of the cleanliness and reliability of its trains, the MTA has definitely regressed in the last few years.

11. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I ride the A-C, can't imagine that it's much cleaner than the 1-9.

12. Patrick Bateman

13. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Wow, I always thought that the A and C trains were pretty dirty. I only ride the 1 and 9 every now and then when the A and C are down so I haven't really noticed them that much, but that must mean that they are friggin DIRTY.

14. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Ah, whatever happened to the ol' chap? Really needed to work on coming out of his shell, that one.

15. Patrick Bateman

Is he the guy who deducted his clothing expenses from his taxes?