• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

bjan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matryx
I'm going to a friend's wedding in October. It's an evening wedding. What do you guys think of this suit

http://www.indochino.com/product/the...hreepiece_suit

I'm going to need to get some new shoes, tie, and a shirt. Any recommendations for these?
I was thinking of getting a shirt from Janzten since I've been hearing a lot about them.

I'm in Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I wouldn't want to rely on Indochino or any other online MTM if you need a suit within a month for a wedding. (chances are at least one remake will be necessary, based on most reviews so far) At least have a backup plan in case it doesn't work out/get there in time.

raphael__n

Reaction score
My first update on the order process. So far, I'm quite impressed by Indochino's customer service. Angie has been tremendously helpful and accommodating to my requests, and replies quite frequently. The shipping process is beyond what I expected, seeing as how it is coming from Shanghai. I placed an order for the swatch book and measuring tapes on Sunday afternoon. It is now Thursday morning, and FedEx just delivered it to my door. That is 4 days for both shipping and assembling the swatch kit! The package left Shanghai yesterday and arrived today. Most, if not all companies I have come across charge a serious premium for such speedy delivery.

raphael__n

Reaction score
I finally got around to opening the tailor's kit, and it is rather impressively laid out. For anyone contemplating placing an order, I would highly recommend getting the tailor's kit first. The fabrics are quite a bit different in appearance, and in some cases, the colour and patterns look considerably unalike. For example, the Dealer's Shirt looks very different up close, and resembles pink more than anything else. The fabric and pattern is very impressive, whereas the White Oxford shirt looks less impressive. It is paper-thin (I know it's supposed to be light) and the swatch itself is already crumpled. I can only imagine how a full shirt would hold up.

I've read varying opinions on polyester/wool suits, where some say that there is little difference with modern technology, while the wool advocates are completely against it. My take after giving each a good long stare (charcoal performance vs timeless charcoal, navy performance vs classic navy), is that the polyester actually looks pretty good. It's got more of a sheen to it. While it is impressive in its appearance, touching the two fabrics immediately tells you which is man-made and which is wool.

As for the coats, I got a swatch of the Belgian Pilot Jacket and the Navy Coat. I was curious because the two have many similar features and the colours looked identical with a 10% difference of wool to cashmere ratio. The swatches tell a different story. The Belgian Pilot Coat is darker (almost black) when compared to the Navy. The Navy swatch is also considerably thicker and has a much softer feel which makes sense given that they are $100 apart in price.

style_man

Reaction score
I've got a question about the swatches; It says it gives you credit to your next purchase, does this mean you get all $29 back, or only some? And if you use this credit, can you still use a coupon when you buy?

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by style_man
I've got a question about the swatches; It says it gives you credit to your next purchase, does this mean you get all $29 back, or only some? And if you use this credit, can you still use a coupon when you buy?

it's an automatic discount on your account.
not sure about other coupons but I don't see why not.

LorenzL

Reaction score

mjc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matryx
what color tie would you guys suggest to wear with this kind of suit to a wedding reception? Hows' this tie? http://www.indochino.com/product/Spot_On_Navy_Tie
That tie is suitable for a banker. Lighten up, it's a celebration! If you want an Indochino tie, this would be more fun, although it's hard to match colors on the computer: http://www.indochino.com/product/purple_bullseye_tie A pink-toned paisley can look fun and dashing with navy. FourInHand is a great source for ties, like this: http://www.fourinhand.com/Product.as...ct=FH60J-GF-07 Sam Hober grenadines are perennial favourites on the forum, too. - Mike

matryx

Reaction score
well there are some coupons for free ties and shirts so I'm just going to get it at Indochino.

Thanks for coupon LorenzL. Much appreciation

raphael__n

Reaction score

matryx

Reaction score
I measure myself the other day using the guide on Indochino. I'm going to a tailor and get the measurements again and see if it matches up. I'll place my order tonight.

jbharris88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by raphael__n
The fabrics are quite a bit different in appearance, and in some cases, the colour and patterns look considerably unalike.
Before I respond, I will say that I have ordered and will order again from Indochino. From my experience it is a complete crapshoot as to the fabric you will receive. If you have read through this forum you will see where people would have different shades if they reordered only one piece of the suit. I ordered an ultimate gray suit and asked for the whole thing to be remade. It is clear that the two suits were made from different bolts of fabric as they are drastically different. The first suit was much darker than what is on the website, but thankfully the second was what I was expecting. Beware.
Originally Posted by raphael__n
I've read varying opinions on polyester/wool suits, where some say that there is little difference with modern technology, while the wool advocates are completely against it. My take after giving each a good long stare (charcoal performance vs timeless charcoal, navy performance vs classic navy), is that the polyester actually looks pretty good. It's got more of a sheen to it. While it is impressive in its appearance, touching the two fabrics immediately tells you which is man-made and which is wool.
My first suit was the charcoal performance suit. I ordered it because I travel a lot and they advertise its lack of wrinkling. This was before I knew anything about clothing. Sure, the fabric looks great and seems well-made, but it is at least twice the weight of my wool suits and does not breath AT ALL, to the point where it is almost uncomfortable to wear it. It's heavy. This along with another incident with another MTM, I will never order anything that has even 1% polyester. Again, beware. Also, for those interested, here are pics of the Ultimate Gray: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=198010

raphael__n

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LorenzL
Happened once like that, someone then mailed Angie and the coupon worked again. Worth a try?

I've got a different package worked out with them, so this isn't necessary for me. But I would encourage martyx to do so. I've already put in the measurements, but the coupon code I've been given isn't functioning properly. I also didn't realize that the tailor kit is designed to work as a coupon (so you certainly can't use it if you planned on utilizing a promotional coupon in the first place). I'm hoping this gets taken care of, since I ordered it with a full expectation of getting it credited towards my account.

Oh and by measurements, I mean serious measurements. I have everything quadruple-checked and spent over 40 minutes making sure I followed the video to a tee, and made sure I found the widest angles for the measurements that required it. Some of the stories of suits gone wrong has given me a good scare.

Originally Posted by jbharris88
Before I respond, I will say that I have ordered and will order again from Indochino. From my experience it is a complete crapshoot as to the fabric you will receive. If you have read through this forum you will see where people would have different shades if they reordered only one piece of the suit. I ordered an ultimate gray suit and asked for the whole thing to be remade. It is clear that the two suits were made from different bolts of fabric as they are drastically different. The first suit was much darker than what is on the website, but thankfully the second was what I was expecting. Beware.

My first suit was the charcoal performance suit. I ordered it because I travel a lot and they advertise its lack of wrinkling. This was before I knew anything about clothing. Sure, the fabric looks great and seems well-made, but it is at least twice the weight of my wool suits and does not breath AT ALL, to the point where it is almost uncomfortable to wear it. It's heavy. This along with another incident with another MTM, I will never order anything that has even 1% polyester. Again, beware.

Also, for those interested, here are pics of the Ultimate Gray: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=198010

Thanks for letting me know. I'm surprised their fabrics would change. I blamed it on my laptop screen, which definitely makes it look different. But if the fabrics themselves are coming from different bolts, it creates a consistency problem for people who are expecting what they see in their tailor's kit.

One interesting note about one of the fabrics is that it is described differently on the website than on the swatch. Then after a second look, there are two different descriptions on the website itself. The Navy Peacoat is listed as 90% wool and 10% cashmere on the description page, but on the mailed swatch, and in the swatch selection on the website, it is 70% wool and 30% cashmere. I'm not sure if this is an error, or if it was recently updated.

I will definitely order from them again if things go well. Once I'm able to work out the perfect fit, there's no reason to go searching elsewhere. Hopefully, I won't be putting on any weight to change that. The customer service is great, which is hard to say about most online retailers. They've found a keeper with Angie.

Thanks for the heads-up on the suit. I wasn't planning on going with the polyester, even if it looks nice. I'm not too experienced with suits myself, but I know I can't stand polyester coats. I'm waiting to hear back from Angie to fix my order before putting through the 3-piece Timeless Charcoal suit. It was a tough battle between that and the Navy. I would much rather go with the Navy Pinstripe, but I've been told that solid charcoal or navy is the way to go for the first suit, and is much more versatile. While I agree, I have a hard time resisting those beautiful vertical lines; particularly the 3-piece Hedonist Navy.

As for your suit, that is definitely one of the better ones I've seen from Indochino. It looks great.

style_man

Reaction score
that new brown suit is looking good... Is it okay for me (I only have one charcoal suit from somewhere else) to get a brown suit as my second? I know Navy would be better as a second, but is brown okay?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads